Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I surely wish Gordo would sue Ross for this, so we could all enjoy a modern Brinkley Vs. Fishbein show. Gordo probably is not that stupid. And Ross is probably intentionally provocative.
Gordon and his whole team were fired for plagiarism. Gordo claimed it's not his fault, and I'm sure there's a non-disclosure. Jim Chanos went to bat for him, to help in clearing his name. Bossum Buddies. Interesting that Dana mentioned the two in this article 5 years ago ;) Tesla hitches up Solar City for $2 billion

It appears you are conflating the conversion of cash to Bitcoin with spending money. This is not spending money, it's simply changing it from one form to another.

Thank you.

My best case scenario regarding Tesla and BTC (and Dogecoin) is that Tesla's and Elon Musk's flirt (and engagement) with existing cryptocurrencies turns out to be a precursor to the introduction of a new and non-energy-wasting crypto-currency that will serve both Tesla and SpaceX - and the public (also on Mars, in due time). So a 4D-chess move.

What do you guys make of this? (Sorry electrek link): Tesla stops taking orders for cheapest Model Y in hard to follow updates - Electrek

Here's the Teslarati version of a similar article: Tesla drops Model Y and Model 3 pricing, closing price gap with gas cars

The gist is that the cheapest Model Y (244 mile standard range), which only started being offered a month ago, is now gone from the web site.

i can’t see how anyone can take it as anything less than bullish. If Tesla is willing to get rid of the Standard range, they must feel confident that they have enough demand for LR and P

Bloomberg FUD machine is cranking up to Level 11:
View attachment 638597
The most offensive bone the author could pick from Tesla:
View attachment 638595

Yeah, right, that totally supports Tesla "is working to increase its emissions footprint."
Clickbait media are scum. That Michael Bloomberg profits from disinformation (stonks) should be a crime.

What do you guys make of this? (Sorry electrek link): Tesla stops taking orders for cheapest Model Y in hard to follow updates - Electrek

Here's the Teslarati version of a similar article: Tesla drops Model Y and Model 3 pricing, closing price gap with gas cars

The gist is that the cheapest Model Y (244 mile standard range), which only started being offered a month ago, is now gone from the web site.
Probably still available for awhile via special order (telephone call or at stores) just like the 3SR in the early days of its production ramp up.

I think you should be banned for the blatant poetry. You didn’t even try to disguise it and even flaunted it by using the word poem in your post.

I don’t make a habit of reporting posts as I like to pretend were all wearing our big boy and girl pants here, but you’re seriously pushing your luck right now Antman.
Au contraire Pierre!
The use of the word "poem" was from the site, and they describe it as a "Melody with Lyrics" which makes it a song...and songs and music are both encouraged...
And in my defense ants communicate through scent so I have no idea what the difference is between these various categorizations of sound.

• Funny
Reactions: 2daMoon

Give me a D!
Give me an E!
Give me an M!

Everybody, stop beating around the bush for pete’s sake. I’ve vacuumed all the furniture and I got some moola burning a hole in my pocket.

Last edited:
i can’t see how anyone can take it as anything less than bullish. If Tesla is willing to get rid of the Standard range, they must feel confident that they have enough demand for LR and P

But then why offer the SR in the first place? And even more importantly, why drop the SR price a few days ago knowing that it was on the way out?

Edit: Also note that removing the SR Y goes against what Elon has been saying for months now: Teslas are too expensive and they need to bring the price down.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: ThisStockGood
Probably still available for awhile via special order (telephone call or at stores) just like the 3SR in the early days of its production ramp up.

I don't think so. At least one person was told by their SA that the SR was cancelled because they weren't getting enough orders for it. (But that they will make all the ones that they have outstanding orders for.)

But then why offer the SR in the first place? And even more importantly, why drop the SR price a few days ago knowing that it was on the way out?

Maybe dropping the price was the last ditch effort to increase demand for that model, and it didn't work. (I don't think Elon even wanted to make it in the first place because he thinks you need to have 250 miles of range as a minimum.) So making the SR may have just been to keep the "promise" that was made when it was originally announced.

Enough batteries have been found to make JUST LR

Personally Id like a RWD long range.

Maybe dropping the price was the last ditch effort to increase demand for that model, and it didn't work. (I don't think Elon even wanted to make it in the first place because he thinks you need to have 250 miles of range as a minimum.) So making the SR may have just been to keep the "promise" that was made when it was originally announced.

Pretty sure that it was the best selling model up until it being dropped?

Reactions: MTL_HABS1909
I have to say that Ross might be getting himself into trouble if this is his evidence. The article says Gordo did nothing wrong and was erroneously blamed. I'm no fan of Gordo but facts still matter.

It's not that simple.

The article starts out be describing how:
1) back in 2008 Lehman Brothers issued a public apology for having a 5-person team issue a 60-page report that turned out to be plagiarized,
2) at about the same time 1 of these team-members (namely Gordon Johnson) left Lehman Brothers to instead work for a much smaller company, and
3) Gordon Johnson had in fact been fired for being responsible for the plagiarism.

The article's author then goes on to explain that after a series of phone conversations with Gordon Johnson, the author came to doubt that the allegation was worth the trouble that Johnson claimed he was consequently having...

So point 3) is disputed by Johnson - and the article's author has retracted their initial conclusion regarding 3), based on this dispute by Johnson.

That's really not much clearing of a name.

Further, points 1) + 2) are _not_ disputed, nor is an alternative explanation given for how or by whom the plagiarized report was produced.

So I think there is every reason to look into whether Gordon Johnson has the legally required credentials to provide investing advice to the public.

But then why go through the trouble of cutting the price just 2 days ago if they were going to stop selling it? I honestly don’t know what is going on, but it’s really strange.

Yes I agree this looks very strange. I think Tesla is focusing on the Model Y LR and it could be because of a number of reasons. I do wish Tesla or Elon were being more communicative. Keeping it under wraps seem to be the new mantra but given the recent price changes and the sudden removal of SR+ from the configurator will cause some people to wonder what is going on.

1. Uncertainty on the timing of tax credit and hence Tesla focusing on the LR model Y to maximize ASP for Q1. And they probably have information about a potential sale price limit for the tax break(under 40K) in which case they can sell the SR+ in Q2.
2. Ramp up and supply chain issues; could they be impacted the semiconductor chip shortage or battery supply issues?

Reactions: willow_hiller

I'm guessing this is Tesla responding to an increased likelihood of the Federal tax credit coming back. They can't increase prices by $7k across the board without facing criticism, and they cannot yet produce enough SR to satisfy the demand that would be induced by tax credit. So they've ceased sales of the SR and expect to capture some of the tax credit as additional margin when those who would have bought an SR stretch for the LR instead.

Or could be related to that recent news of Tesla replacing the sprung structure for the Model Y at Fremont with a permanent one. Maybe they just won't have the space to make the SR while they're building the new assembly line.

Last edited:

Edit: Also note that removing the SR Y goes against what Elon has been saying for months now: Teslas are too expensive and they need to bring the price down.

Someone already mentioned this, but it makes a lot of sense if their battery capacity is improved in a good way which allows them to sell more LR instead of SR. SR has been a good way for Tesla to make fewer batteries go farther in terms of total vehicle production

Or it could be that they're experiencing some chip shortages themselves and thus want to only do LR/P at this time because of that.

Also when Elon talks about Tesla's and EV's being too expensive in general, I always view at his talking long term and that Tesla has to find a way to fundamentally have their cars in lower prices brackets. To me this is him talking about initiatives such as the 4680 cells/packs to drive costs lower enough to enter lower cost brackets

Gordon and his whole team were fired for plagiarism. Gordo claimed it's not his fault, and I'm sure there's a non-disclosure. Jim Chanos went to bat for him, to help in clearing his name. Bossum Buddies. Interesting that Dana mentioned the two in this article 5 years ago ;) Tesla hitches up Solar City for $2 billion

Interesting, is there a source for this? A google cache of the mentioned article only has this to say about Johnson:
"Gordon Johnson, an analyst at Axiom Capital Management Inc., downgraded seven solar companies Tuesday, citing his expectation of less favorable renewable energy policies from Trump's administration."