Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, the rally was nice while it lasted.

Thanks, poetry. :(

(Vogon poetry is the only exception)

I am an old enough TMC reader to remember the poetry traumas from days of yore.
But ... TSLA seems very green right now. (no pun intended)
Maybe, perhaps, perchance poetry strictly in the shape of alternate universe song lyrics is the way to go?

Since I just want to punish myself for lack of conviction, did anyone catch what the low was this morning for the 26 Feb 700c? I'm assuming someone here made a killing...

Looks like it traded as low as $6.00.

TSLA 700c 02-26-21.JPG

But... it has an Ecoboost engine! It says Eco so that's gotta be good right?

/s
I own a Ford Transit that I converted from a used plumbing truck to something for overnight MTB trips.

It sports the Ecoboost, twin-turbo V6. Granted, there's nothing Eco about the van, but, it certainly hauls donkey down the road. At least the camping side of things is all-electric with solar panels, inverter, etc.

After suffering tremendous guilt over this misleading badge it dons, and after a little poking around Amazon, I found a replacement badge. It is styled to look like the OEM, but it says Ecobeast instead, and now resides on the rear door in place of the original.

Gotta do my part to stop the propaganda machine, right? ;)

It will probably be a few years before an E-Van is available, along with adequate charging infrastructure for getting to some of the places I like to go. I will be ready to buy it and convert it once a valid replacement is ready.

Rivian and Tesla are the best bets for the replacement and either way, TSLA will be paying for it. :cool:

Once again, Lex and Jim Keller knock it out of the park. This was a great talk that covered many topics and to listen to it, you really get a great idea of what Jim is like in his entirety.

Also, I'm finding it a bit hard to describe the talk in a way that is approachable to this audience, but here goes...

TL;DListen - Dojo is a game changer for FSD as it will be 10X to 1M times more efficient while being less risky and way more scalable to solve FSD.

More details below...

Why? GPU's or other options are not designed for just solving FSD or even solving FSD the exact way that Tesla wants to solve it. When Tesla started the process of trying to solve FSD, they had no idea if or when or how often they would hit 'local maximiums' (also known as failing and 'hitting a wall' where the code would never get any better; one step forward and one step back). Building something like Dojo solves or is the least painful and/or quickest path to solving FSD as well as most likely being the cheapest. Dojo will work seamlessly with their inference chip (the chip that is in the car) to do inference as well as possibly other tasks (I won't go into that now). These chips working together also solves huge bottlenecks as iteration time is greatly reduced from training to inference as well as cost and quality. Engineers can spend more time solving FSD rather than solving infrastructure issues like throughput constraints or data quality or data structure or data cleansing...etc

Dojo will be the hardware and the entire software stack that is purpose built for one and only one purpose; Solve FSD. This is super exciting as there is nothing like in the custom chip (ASIC or other kind of chip) world. It will NOT be easily copied and sounds like they are thinking about chip scale, machine scale and network scale all as 'first class citizens' (or 'native' or maybe a better way to say this is 'No bull sh$t other code or HW that will slow down the one and only purpose of the chip).

Here's a bit more detail....Jim is building a new processor at his new company with none other than Chris Lattner (decorated senior engineer who had a stint at Tesla as well as built key parts of the Google TPU stack). Jims' new processors may or may not be specific to any single goal. He didn't say, but the compelling aspect of Dojo, in his description, has gone through 2 iterations (he calls them pivots) from when he was at Tesla.

Jim's description of what a great custom ASIC is like, is very interesting and I think, the meat of this interview for this audience.

Based on his description, Dojo is most likely going to be specific to Tesla's entire software stack while seemingly only relying on little public code (like PyTorch) so it won't be easily copied. This is key as it means once they have built the software stack they can built out the HW to be flexible enough to avoid or mitigate bottlenecks in the hardware as well as the software. Today, when you hit bottleneck in hardware or software you are most likely going to have to live with it for at least until new hardware is released or even worse, it might be just a bottleneck that your team or company has hit and it is ONLY you who hit the bottleneck and you have to solve it yourself in software or hope/pray that you can convince the hardware company to fix it in their next or future revision of hardware. Tesla has effectively reduced this to a minimum as they own the whole stack (top to bottom).

If you've made it this far, maybe you might want more details and I'd be happy to, but maybe in another thread.

Last edited:
What the heck is this?
- ramp to drive up so it is for finished cars
- roof only makes sense if car stays there for a while
- hole in base so car can be accessed from below

Return of the battery swap??? Doesn´t make sense after they abandoned it before...
Does anyone have a better idea?

View attachment 639638
(4 min into the video)
This is clearly a cloaking machine for the Model S Plaid.

Not up to date here, in case this has not been discussed:

LG has begun to build a Tesla 4680 battery pilot production line, and the operation time may be ahead of Panasonic

Original source is supposedly THE ELEC, Korea Electronics Industry Media and auto translated, can´t find anything related on the english site though.

Just amazing that the experienced battery manufactures are all jumping on board with this design so quickly. I just find it hard to believe as the experts in batteries they did not come up with something similar on their own.

I hope Tesla is a least getting some exclusivity for these batteries for some time. I have not see anything to indicate that there is any restriction on the use of this technology. Elon probably let it go easy as it supports the mission they know they will still struggle to keep up with the demand if the battery costs really fall by 56%.

Once again, Lex and Jim Keller knock it out of the park. This was a great talk that covered many topics and to listen to it, you really get a great idea of what Jim is like in his entirety.

Also, I'm finding it a bit hard to describe the talk in a way that is approachable to this audience, but here goes...

TL;DListen - Dojo is a game changer for FSD as it will be 10X to 1M times more efficient while being less risky and way more scalable to solve FSD.

More details below...

Why? GPU's or other options are not designed for just solving FSD or even solving FSD the exact way that Tesla wants to solve it. When Tesla started the process of trying to solve FSD, they had no idea if or when or how often they would hit 'local maximiums' (also known as failing and 'hitting a wall' where the code would never get any better; one step forward and one step back). Building something like Dojo solves or is the least painful and/or quickest path to solving FSD as well as most likely being the cheapest. Dojo will work seamlessly with their inference chip (the chip that is in the car) to do inference as well as possibly other tasks (I won't go into that now). These chips working together also solves huge bottlenecks as iteration time is greatly reduced from training to inference as well as cost and quality. Engineers can spend more time solving FSD rather than solving infrastructure issues like throughput constraints or data quality or data structure or data cleansing...etc

Dojo will be the hardware and the entire software stack that is purpose built for one and only one purpose; Solve FSD. This is super exciting as there is nothing like in the custom chip (ASIC or other kind of chip) world. It will NOT be easily copied and sounds like they are thinking about chip scale, machine scale and network scale all as 'first class citizens' (or 'native' or maybe a better way to say this is 'No bull sh$t other code or HW that will slow down the one and only purpose of the chip).

Here's a bit more detail....Jim is building a new processor at his new company with none other than Chris Lattner (decorated senior engineer who had a stint at Tesla as well as built key parts of the Google TPU stack). Jims' new processors may or may not be specific to any single goal. He didn't say, but the compelling aspect of Dojo, in his description, has gone through 2 iterations (he calls them pivots) from when he was at Tesla.

Jim's description of what a great custom ASIC is like, is very interesting and I think, the meat of this interview for this audience.

Based on his description, Dojo is most likely going to be specific to Tesla's entire software stack while seemingly only relying on little public code (like PyTorch) so it won't be easily copied. This is key as it means once they have built the software stack they can built out the HW to be flexible enough to avoid or mitigate bottlenecks in the hardware as well as the software. Today, when you hit bottleneck in hardware or software you are most likely going to have to live with it for at least until new hardware is released or even worse, it might be just a bottleneck that your team or company has hit and it is ONLY you who hit the bottleneck and you have to solve it yourself in software or hope/pray that you can convince the hardware company to fix it in their next or future revision of hardware. Tesla has effectively reduced this to a minimum as they own the whole stack (top to bottom).

If you've made it this far, maybe you might want more details and I'd be happy to, but maybe in another thread.
Please start the new thread with more details and post the link.

Thank you very much.