Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not sure about the wisdom of emulating an investor who committed suicide after going from being one of the wealthiest people in the world to being in debt with a negative net worth.

I agree it's important to remain vigilant as an investor, but that shouldn't require the liquidation of good investments to realize that goal. If it does, it's probably a good idea to let someone else manage your investments. ;)

There was a lot of uncertainty. I will frequently lose upside to avoid risk, but I never use stop losses as I don't experience losses.

Typically, if I don't understand what is going on, I get out - unless it is Tesla.

Being conservative and outperforming every known mutual fund does not mean that someone else should be doing it.

If you have a suggestion, I will look at their performance.

Possible, but I doubt it. @6:30 all red cars look pinkish. @5:08 (first screenshot) only one car looks grey, the other two look white.

4 sure. It’s corrected AF. Look at the shadow on the roof. The shadow from the roof has been covering the first row of cars. Just look at the shadow of the streetlight...

That difference in contrast is hard to correct and makes it pretty impossible to keep the original colors.

3. Ask yourself: Has anything fundamentally changed with this company in the last few days? Weeks? If your answer is no, then do I like I do and shut off the ticker. When I saw trading start out this week, I immediately closed the ticker and tried to forget about TSLA. It's hard, I know. But you have to, to avoid getting emotional and making a bad decision.

To a certain degree I disagree with #3. I need to see that ticker to decide when and at what price level to buy the dip.

To a certain degree I disagree with #3. I need to see that ticker to decide when and at what price level to buy the dip.
Understandable, but I think that what @Todd Burch is saying is that if you're already 95%+ all-in on TSLA (like many of us), and your dollar cost basis is in the $50/share range, then this ISN'T a dip. :p

YMMY. Difference may be that Todd won't sell at a (perceived) top either, because he (like many of us) has a decade-long investment horizon. Each of us has unique goals. To me, HODL is the surest path to wealth long-term.

Cheers!

Primer or new color?
Model 3 or Y?
Edit: Upon closer inspection, it could be a wrapped test mule. I heavily doubt the color correction theory below.
View attachment 639637
/Edit

View attachment 639620 View attachment 639621

What the heck is this?
- ramp to drive up so it is for finished cars
- roof only makes sense if car stays there for a while
- hole in base so car can be accessed from below

Return of the battery swap??? Doesn´t make sense after they abandoned it before...
Does anyone have a better idea?

Screenshot 2021-02-24 at 20.44.57.png

(4 min into the video)

What the heck is this?

Return of the battery swap??? Doesn´t make sense after they abandoned it before...

View attachment 639638
(4 min into the video)
Inspection pit for underside of car?

What the heck is this?

View attachment 639638
(4 min into the video)

Space doesn't look wide enough for a battery swap. The battery pack is wheel to wheel, and that's just a thin strip between the wheel bases. There were would have to be rails for the wheels to ensure they don't go off track and fall into the hole. Further, they're going for structural batteries now.

However, it does make more sense for them to access a motor on the wheel bases. About the right placement. Perhaps this is where they stress test and evaluate the motors?

What the heck is this?

View attachment 639638
(4 min into the video)
I think it's obvious from the surrounding pavement that's it's some kind of test. The car on the ramp might be being tested to see the maximum angle that it will hold still.

Reactions: Nocturnal
What the heck is this?

View attachment 639638
(4 min into the video)
I recall that in a much earlier video Wu Wa indicated that it's a weigh scale.

Neither Model 3 nor Y have swappable bty packs. Only S/X have that.

What the heck is this?

View attachment 639638
(4 min into the video)
Yeah, I am curious too.
My guess would be an 'inspection platform', as you also suggest.
The reason for the close proximity to the test range? Perhaps in case some of the test-drivers hear a weird noise or the car doesn't really feel quite right. Why waste time writing that down and have another person in another process check it out when instead you can just immediately get the car checked up, perhaps with the help from coworkers. Just speculating here.

FYI: I am pretty sure that the 'inspection platform' (don't know the correct term) is at least ½ year old - it has been there for a while now.

• Informative
Reactions: hobbes
Don't hate me for this wsb link: https://www.reddit.com/r/wallstreet...y_father_burry_is_calling_the_big_short_20_i/

It's actually a really good breakdown on Burry's concerns with US monetary policy and its impact on inflation.

I'd give my own thoughts on this and how monetary easing distorted the market:

First, a bit of background. I did my undergrad in economics, so I have a basic understanding of Econ 101/102 (Micro/macro economics).

When I was fresh out of college (2006/07), here in Vancouver we were experiencing a huge boom in RE and the price just jumped seemingly non-stop with the average detached home topping 1M in price. My family has been investing in RE (the commercial side instead of residential) and we were always looking for opportunities.

From my understanding on real estate and economic theories as a whole, the whole market made no sense at all. At the time, we were seeing sub-3% cap rate on real estate, which one could do better by just put their money in a decent dividend portfolio. But it didn't matter and the price kept growing.

Then 2008 hit, at first I thought it was a great opportunity as the RE must go penny on the dollar right? WRONG! It went down a bit, and then just recovered and went on full steam again up until 2016 when new restrictions started taking place changing much of the demand side.

So, what was it? Was it that our economic books were wrong and Keynesian fundamentals were nonsense? Hardly. It's the variables that were overlooked. Never in the history of Canadian economics have we tried the unthinkable... dropping rates to near zero in order to pump the market at all cost. When the opportunity cost is so high (because borrowing cost is so low), the market acts accordingly. There would be different level of risk acceptance, but ultimately, we had a much lower overall risk when interest rate was near zero vs. the historical average of around 5% just prior to 2008.

So, I don't deny how Burry is seeing the market. It's fundamentally correct. But as they say... never try to time the market and NEVER EVER go against the Fed. During the 2008 crash, the Bank of Canada simply introduced policies after policies to pump the market. If one were to bet against the BoC or the Fed... how much money can a fund have? The largest funds have maybe a few trillion AUM in TOTAL. A few trillion is what a central bank manages on a yearly basis. And let's say if one were to bet that the Vancouver RE market is going DOWN right after the 2008 crash somehow, it wasn't until 2016 it started showing some cracks and deflated from there. That's 8 years. Fast forward to 2020, with the Covid stimulus and whatever, the RE seems to start booming again. And from the 2016 peak to 2020 low, one's probably looking at 30% decline through 4yrs?

In short, one can bet against the market. Sure. But with central banks so accustomed to pump the market at the slightest shock without hesitation, it's going to be difficult going forward for a major crash to happen. Yes, we carry a lot of debts... but during the good times, when Fed was making a killing (billions and billions every Q), no one said a thing.

For a major economic disaster to happen, we'd need to wait until debt is no longer serviceable. But the question is how long can that take? Japan is at over 200% debt to GDP ratio and heading higher. Which it has been accumulating for the last 3 decades or more. How long can investors in funds such the one managed by Burry let him have his way? A year or 2 maybe... but if by year 4 or 5, Burry's fund isn't making a major return (IIRC, he announced his short position when SP was in the 400s, so, he has accumulated some losses already along the way however he tried to cost average), I don't think investors are going to be too happy about it.

Ultimately, what funds care is their AUM. Without it, they are not able to carry out their plays. So, if past Tesla shorties are any indication, Burry might be in for a rough awakening.

I recall that in a much earlier video Wu Wa indicated that it's a weigh scale.

Neither Model 3 nor Y have swappable bty packs. Only S/X have that.
I don't believe in swapping either.
I think Elon concluded early on that swapping was rife with problems, and not many advantages.
My money is on 'inspection platform'. The stairs combined with the hole says inspection. Off course, weighing could also be part of the inspection.

• Love
Reactions: saniflash and kyne
I'd give my own thoughts on this and how monetary easing distorted the market:

First, a bit of background. I did my undergrad in economics, so I have a basic understanding of Econ 101/102 (Micro/macro economics).

When I was fresh out of college (2006/07), here in Vancouver we were experiencing a huge boom in RE and the price just jumped seemingly non-stop with the average detached home topping 1M in price. My family has been investing in RE (the commercial side instead of residential) and we were always looking for opportunities.

From my understanding on real estate and economic theories as a whole, the whole market made no sense at all. At the time, we were seeing sub-3% cap rate on real estate, which one could do better by just put their money in a decent dividend portfolio. But it didn't matter and the price kept growing.

Then 2008 hit, at first I thought it was a great opportunity as the RE must go penny on the dollar right? WRONG! It went down a bit, and then just recovered and went on full steam again up until 2016 when new restrictions started taking place changing much of the demand side.

So, what was it? Was it that our economic books were wrong and Keynesian fundamentals were nonsense? Hardly. It's the variables that were overlooked. Never in the history of Canadian economics have we tried the unthinkable... dropping rates to near zero in order to pump the market at all cost. When the opportunity cost is so high (because borrowing cost is so low), the market acts accordingly. There would be different level of risk acceptance, but ultimately, we had a much lower overall risk when interest rate was near zero vs. the historical average of around 5% just prior to 2008.

So, I don't deny how Burry is seeing the market. It's fundamentally correct. But as they say... never try to time the market and NEVER EVER go against the Fed. During the 2008 crash, the Bank of Canada simply introduced policies after policies to pump the market. If one were to bet against the BoC or the Fed... how much money can a fund have? The largest funds have maybe a few trillion AUM in TOTAL. A few trillion is what a central bank manages on a yearly basis. And let's say if one were to bet that the Vancouver RE market is going DOWN right after the 2008 crash somehow, it wasn't until 2016 it started showing some cracks and deflated from there. That's 8 years. Fast forward to 2020, with the Covid stimulus and whatever, the RE seems to start booming again. And from the 2016 peak to 2020 low, one's probably looking at 30% decline through 4yrs?

In short, one can bet against the market. Sure. But with central banks so accustomed to pump the market at the slightest shock without hesitation, it's going to be difficult going forward for a major crash to happen. Yes, we carry a lot of debts... but during the good times, when Fed was making a killing (billions and billions every Q), no one said a thing.

For a major economic disaster to happen, we'd need to wait until debt is no longer serviceable. But the question is how long can that take? Japan is at over 200% debt to GDP ratio and heading higher. Which it has been accumulating for the last 3 decades or more. How long can investors in funds such the one managed by Burry let him have his way? A year or 2 maybe... but if by year 4 or 5, Burry's fund isn't making a major return (IIRC, he announced his short position when SP was in the 400s, so, he has accumulated some losses already along the way however he tried to cost average), I don't think investors are going to be too happy about it.

Ultimately, what funds care is their AUM. Without it, they are not able to carry out their plays. So, if past Tesla shorties are any indication, Burry might be in for a rough awakening.

Great points. Have questions about Vancouver that I will slide into your DMs.

Btw, not much discussed about Tiger Woods, but his leg injury could have been prevented if it was a tesla (Tesla ?)
(which have excellent front collision protection/crumple zone).
I noticed how much any report use only the word 'SUV' or 'vehicle' and avoid mentioning the name Genesis GV80.
If it was a Tesla, all the news would have been talking about Auto Pilot problem.

Tesla Model 3 captures IIHS Top Safety Pick+ Award for third straight year

2021 Tesla Model 3 4-door sedan

Last edited: