Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And, as other have recounted, once you get below 70 cent per mile, then RT is cheaper than owning a car. So you expand the market by some wild scaling factor. Tesla can expand the market and just keep reducing prices. There is a long way from 70 cent down to 10 cent, and a lot of profit.

Eventually when you get close enough to 10 cent/mile you get to compete with public mass transit. And that unlocks a new large market.
I am not giving up my personal car even if I can get rides for free.

Although I believe the RoboTaxi is huge opportunity there is definitely a large portion of the population willing to pay for the convenience that private car ownership brings. One reason we have convenience stores that charge more than a grocery store for most items.

Hopefully I won't have to drive it, but it will be sitting in the driveway, clean, and with any personal items I may need inside, ready to take me autonomously to where ever I want to go.

Think of the inconvenience of hiring a robotaxi to go on simple day trip with with 2-3 small kids. Where are you going to hold all that stuff once you reach your destination. Will some people do it to save a few $$. Yes. Most will prefer the convenience of their own vehicle.

I just don't believe this is all about cost per mile. If it were, we all would own the cheapest econobox available.

How long did it take Barnes and Nobles to realize that Amazon's model was superior? Or for Nokia/Blackberry to realize that about Apple? Or for legacy cable providers, content creators (Hulu and Disney+), and video rental companies to see that about Netflix? Legacy companies tend to discount the threat at first, then dither about and try to keep a foot in each space, and then try to move aggressively after it's way too late. We still haven't seen the other players in autonomy ditch their models and try to copy Tesla. When that happens it's a minimum of several years before they can hope to catch up.
Anyone that has resources (Waymo for sure) would have different models in the pipeline, one of them being a no-lidar solutions if their business plan calls for massive adoption. When v6 of some software is released, v7 teams have been on it for couple of years, and v8 team for at least a year, and there is probably pure R&D that works on isolated hard problems for v9. That's how software is developed. So while we don't see much, it doesn't mean others (Waymo especially) are much behind. Others may not have enough clout to hire enough great engineers.

Problem waymo has is lack of real world data for vision FSD. I can think of few strategies they're probably thinking trough, but I don't see anything that will solve that problem overnight. However, if they surprise us and start rapid expansion in few different cities with HD maps approach, they may not be that far behind in acquiring data.

ExcYTvTWgAYcirj.png

If I'm reading Ark Invest's second SEC filing from Friday correctly (the first filing being notice that ARKX may launch tomorrow), it appears Ark has lifted its self-imposed exposure cap to an individual stock, effectively immediately. It's not obvious from the text itself, (link - SEC), but the last paragraphs of the filing refer to deletion of what I believe is the language in red above.

View attachment 648896

If I'm reading Ark Invest's second SEC filing from Friday correctly (the first filing being notice that ARKX may launch tomorrow), it appears Ark has lifted its self-imposed exposure cap to an individual stock, effectively immediately. It's not obvious from the text itself, (link - SEC), but the last paragraphs of the filing refer to deletion of what I believe is the language in red above.
I would guess we should know soon enough. Tesla is their largest holding of any fund. So if they buy tomorrow there’s a good chance that that is the case.

Yes. Nobody else on this forum of uber-bulls is excited for FSD.
I think it’s interesting how many of us are skipping past a very competent L4 deployment. I see this as integral to L5. I think we will see L5 soon after L4 but I see it existing as proof of concept at airports and places that hailing a car isn’t required. After that, there will be a city or two that pilots L5. I think almost all of it will be with Tesla vehicles.

Reactions: ByeByeJohnny

Edmunds vs Rob. The Edmunds guy says that 15° difference between tests do not matter for a range test comparison and that somehow 800V systems are not affected by temperature. 🤦‍♂️

and this gem:

“The efficiency and range is not directly correlated .... because we are not seeing a direct correlation”

Last edited:
Think of the inconvenience of hiring a robotaxi to go on simple day trip with with 2-3 small kids.

That is one of the big reasons why we will still have some private car ownership.

But most 2 car families will be able to cut down to 1 car.
Sometimes taking a Robotaxi will be cheaper than paying for parking.

Too old to drive, too young to drive, unlicensed, FSD is the only option., and more often than not a Robotaxi.

The closest analogy I can think of is Radio (private car ownership) and TV (Robotaxi).

Many of us own a Radio and also watch TV, we do what is most convenient.
In this case private car ownership is more expensive, but people will pay for the convenience / choice.

I don't expect Tesla to stop selling cars to private owners when they have working FSD.
I do expect dedicated additional factories / lines aimed mainly at at mass high volume production of Robotaxis.

When Tesla started to build the factory in Shanghai I was aware of the risks of doing business in China but I expected any issues to arise a few years if not over a decade from initial production.
But now I am concerned it may be quicker due to the possibility of China trying to take Taiwan by force.
So for those of us with large holdings who may need to sell in the short term I would pay attention to this.
The world will not allow TSMC to fall into Chinese hands. War would be guaranteed. Not just the US would be involved, invading Taiwan would be the catalyst for a World War. Let's see how crazy Chairman Pooh really is.

• Informative
Reactions: saniflash
I think it’s interesting how many of us are skipping past a very competent L4 deployment. I see this as integral to L5. I think we will see L5 soon after L4 but I see it existing as proof of concept at airports and places that hailing a car isn’t required. After that, there will be a city or two that pilots L5. I think almost all of it will be with Tesla vehicles.

I've been saying for a good while I have low confidence of Tesla delivering L5 on current HW.

It's not redundant enough, and it can't handle bad weather reliably enough. Note for example how often NoA turns itself off, dropping back to basic AP, in anything more than moderate rain because one or more side cameras are blinded by the weather.... or how often folks post here about losing certain FSD or EAP features because one of the external side lenses got some mud or dirt on it.

AI can't do much with input from a blind sensor that has no redundancy and no ability to clear itself.

I've even had basic AP turn itself off in HEAVY rain... and that's only using the stays-dry front cameras behind the wiped windshield plus the radar that can see through rain.

(there's a reason Waymos own working but heavily geofenced L4 system first rolled out someplace it basically never rains or snows)

But Tesla L4? I think they could deliver that basically tomorrow on the highway at least if they get vision solved for the stationary objects problem, and define the ODD to be weather no worse than moderate rain or something. If vision is fully solved they could do the same for city driving easily enough.

Now L5? I think the gap between L4-works in anything but bad weather, and L5 works anytime a human could drive is bigger than some folks think given the current fleets HW. (remember, they didn't even add a heater to the front radar till the Y so if you woke up to snow/ice, features unavailable)

I'd love to be wrong, but haven't seen any reason to think so yet....

(there is some AI work on correcting camera lens vision for rain obscuration, but it's still pretty limited, and the increase in compute required is MASSIVE if you want to do it in real-time as FSD would have to, and that required compute compounds per camera- I guess in theory if that is found to be "good enough" for L5 then maybe they can swap HW4 if it's powerful enough in there and be good but bad weather is a challenge specifically called out at autonomy day and the one I've seen the least said about solutions for since)

I put a fair amount of value on FSD as user features like city streets come out- both in increasing take buy take rate (and driving monthly revenue via subscriptions eventually too)... but there's a reason even ARK only lists Robotaxis as a 50/50 shot by 2025.

Edmunds vs Rob. The Edmunds guy says that 15° difference between tests do not matter for a range test comparison and that somehow 800V systems are not affected by temperature. 🤦‍♂️

and this gem:

I saw that and thought the guy was a bit dense to these matters. So disappointed at budget Seacrest.