Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Most accidents shouldn't happen. That doesn't mean it's not good to prevent them.

I will be monitoring FSD (with my butt in the driver's seat) until it's at least ten times safer than your average driver and long after it has already reduced the overall accident and death rate. They say "two heads are better than one" and a FSD car being monitored by a human is safer than either one alone.
Once FSD is 1.5-2X better than a human you'll be watching Netflix with the rest of us. At around that point you'll be more likely to cause an accident than prevent one, plus you wouldn't get to watch Netflix (or do work, browse internet, play video games etc).

Edmunds vs Rob. The Edmunds guy says that 15° difference between tests do not matter for a range test comparison and that somehow 800V systems are not affected by temperature. 🤦‍♂️

and this gem:

They aren't seeing the direct correlation because they are ignoring the below 0 miles left buffer "in the interest of consumers".

Reactions: JRP3 and kbM3

Edmunds vs Rob. The Edmunds guy says that 15° difference between tests do not matter for a range test comparison and that somehow 800V systems are not affected by temperature. 🤦‍♂️

and this gem:
Haven't watched the video yet, but this quote is hilarious. It is not just that cold affects range as the battery performs worse. It is also that those cars tested below the temperature the AC was set to (most likely) had to use some amount of cabin heating, which also eats into the battery. I for one like those Norwegian tests where they drive all the cars at the very same time until the batteries die on the road.
1617000710554.png

Haven't watched the video yet, but this quote is hilarious. It is not just that cold affects range as the battery performs worse. It is also that those cars tested below the temperature the AC was set to (most likely) had to use some amount of cabin heating, which also eats into the battery. I for one like those Norwegian tests where they drive all the cars at the very same time until the batteries die on the road.
View attachment 648962
And considerable loss of range in cold weather because of higher air density (air friction).

and this gem:
Edmunds drove the Taycan in power limited ECO mode. In that mode, the car becomes FWD only (rear engine disabled) and top speed is limited by 70mph. In other words, it becomes another car in terms of performance. This mode is called "limp mode" in a Tesla.

So, in half-powered ECO mode Taycan exceeds EPA range. So what? That is the expected result. Less power brings more range. "Limp mode" all the way.

EPA does its testing using the default drive mode and that mode is determined by the carmaker itself. Drive Taycan in default drive mode like EPA did and see what you get (you get less than EPA score).

And how many people drive Taycan in ECO mode in "real world" ?

Tesla does not have a half-powered ECO mode. Most other EVs have. That is what Edmunds' range test is telling.

Apparently a Chinese co has already started on prototypes for 4680 cells using tabless tech, with batch production this year and scale production next year. If they are legit, this will be good news for increased supply for Tesla, especially if it looks to launch the Model 2 in 22/23.

BAK Battery Unveils First Chinese 4680 Battery Cells

High tide in Suez Canal at 2 AM PST Monday. Good chance that ship will be moving by the opening bell.

I expect traders will be bullish when canal blockage is relieved. Ahhhhhh

51 min ago:

"A 200,000-tonne container ship, that has been blocking off a large portion of global trade over the past six days, was partially freed from the shoreline of the Suez Canal on Monday, officials said.

"The Suez Canal Authority (SCA) said that the 400m (1,300ft) container ship, called Ever Given, has been put back on course by 80%, adding that greater efforts would be taken to move the boat later today."​

Last edited:
Apparently a Chinese co has already started on prototypes for 4680 cells using tabless tech, with batch production this year and scale production next year. If they are legit, this will be good news for increased supply for Tesla, especially if it looks to launch the Model 2 in 22/23.

BAK Battery Unveils First Chinese 4680 Battery Cells

Some Google Translate snippets from the original article: (March 22, 2021)

The next generation of cylindrical technology has been set for 4680 large cylindrical winds
"On September 23 last year, Tesla released a brand-new “4680” battery with non-polar ears on Battery Day, and announced a variety of new battery technologies, with the goal of reducing costs while improving performance. In the domestic market, after Tesla, JAC also announced that it will follow up with 4680 batteries.​
"According to insiders, LG plans to produce brand new 4680 batteries for Tesla in 2023 and is considering building advanced lithium battery factories in the United States and Europe. Panasonic is planning to start trial production of 4680 batteries in Japan from April 1 this year, and the goal is to complete it by 2022.​

Source: itdcw.com

Hmmm...

Hmmm...

Fingers crossed it’s because there has been a strategic reallocation to Tesla energy large scale rollout.

Reactions: KMCC

Regarding Friday’s big selloff (Financial Times):

1) ViacomCBS stock fell ~50% last week
2) Archegos got margin called by Credit Suisse and Nomura
3) Archegos dumps $20b of stock to pay up
4) Could be more today

Last edited:
My gosh, this shocking new headline, that Elon admits to being battery constrained!
You read it wrong!

- CEO of Tesla has doubts about own cell production - Semi delayed!
- New problems at Tesla? Production hell seems to extend to Semi as well!
- After attack of VW - Tesla cell constrained!
- The end of a bubble? Tesla no longer able to aquire enough cells!

.. hmm.. when i think about it .. i might be really good at writing FUD .. ;)

I hope the Tesla Semi at least reaches limited production soon, as it's strategically important to demonstrate that BEVs can do long-range HDV transport. It doesn't seem like Elon understands this.

Quite a few organizations are saying that market is destined for hydrogen, but I believe that is wrong. It would be easier for policy makers if Tesla Semi can demonstrate this in practice, otherwise they are likely to waste tax-payer money on obsolete technology

Reactions: Paracelsus
I hope the Tesla Semi at least reaches limited production soon, as it's strategically important to demonstrate that BEVs can do long-range HDV transport. It doesn't seem like Elon understands this.

Quite a few organizations are saying that market is destined for hydrogen, but I believe that is wrong. It would be easier for policy makers if Tesla Semi can demonstrate this in practice, otherwise they are likely to waste tax-payer money on obsolete technology
I think Elon is sick and tired of trying to convince anyone.. Tesla has put the evidence out in clear daylight . spelled it out with capital letters.

If people/governments want to miss out, throw money away on H2.. then fine.. (ffs - The Norwegian Oil fund invested 250 million USD in $NKLA :rolleyes: - like last month)

Elon/Tesla need to focus on execution, Tesla is running full speed ahead - on everything as quick as possible. You can be 100% certain of this.

Edmunds drove the Taycan in power limited ECO mode. In that mode, the car becomes FWD only (rear engine disabled) and top speed is limited by 70mph. In other words, it becomes another car in terms of performance. This mode is called "limp mode" in a Tesla.

So, in half-powered ECO mode Taycan exceeds EPA range. So what? That is the expected result. Less power brings more range. "Limp mode" all the way.

EPA does its testing using the default drive mode and that mode is determined by the carmaker itself. Drive Taycan in default drive mode like EPA did and see what you get (you get less than EPA score).

And how many people drive Taycan in ECO mode in "real world" ?

Tesla does not have a half-powered ECO mode. Most other EVs have. That is what Edmunds' range test is telling.

i know this forum frowns on doing anything practical to address criticism of Tesla, on the basis that it'd be "bowing down to media overlords" but the obvious solution here is to introduce a Captain Planet Mode that is FWD, top-speed limited, and super-Chill. Maybe even boost regen and reduce cabin climate functions if there's anything to gain there.

i know this forum frowns on doing anything practical to address criticism of Tesla, on the basis that it'd be "bowing down to media overlords" but the obvious solution here is to introduce a Captain Planet Mode that is FWD, top-speed limited, and super-Chill. Maybe even boost regen and reduce cabin climate functions if there's anything to gain there.
The Model S could go over 1,000 km....
In 2017....
Italian Tesla drivers set distance record after driving Model S 670 miles on a single charge