Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
News from Mr. Wu Wa regarding Tesla's Model 2 factory land that is getting cleared/prepped right now:

"Just as I was about to post this video, the online media just broke the shocking news (19:25) that the land south of Tesla's Shanghai factory was out of bidding today (March 29). If the news is correct, it means that Tesla did not take the industrial land, we consulted the site personnel at noon today, they are very sure that the site is owned by Tesla, and construction has already started inside the site. It is possible that the bid was not negotiated on the price of the land, and perhaps after another negotiation, things will come to a successful conclusion. Well, we still know the situation of this piece of land."

I do support the hypermill software setting.

But, it doesnt make sense to turn off headlights, as they use neglible amounts of energy.
In most parts of the world, use of headlights are mandatory 24/7.

You have tunnells, cloudy days, low sun.. lots of situations where headlight definitively have an impact on visibility. Not necessarily your own, but those around you(cars, pedestrians,cyclists etc.). A car with lights on grab a whole different kind of attention than one with dark headlights. (could be parked)
On highways when staying in your lane going with the flow of traffic (as I habitually do), they are useless (Especially when following a truck). In tunnels they can turn on automatically (may dashboard knows when it is dark). We have one earth.

I've been saying for a good while I have low confidence of Tesla delivering L5 on current HW.

It's not redundant enough, and it can't handle bad weather reliably enough. Note for example how often NoA turns itself off, dropping back to basic AP, in anything more than moderate rain because one or more side cameras are blinded by the weather.... or how often folks post here about losing certain FSD or EAP features because one of the external side lenses got some mud or dirt on it.

AI can't do much with input from a blind sensor that has no redundancy and no ability to clear itself.

I've even had basic AP turn itself off in HEAVY rain... and that's only using the stays-dry front cameras behind the wiped windshield plus the radar that can see through rain.

(there's a reason Waymos own working but heavily geofenced L4 system first rolled out someplace it basically never rains or snows)

But Tesla L4? I think they could deliver that basically tomorrow on the highway at least if they get vision solved for the stationary objects problem, and define the ODD to be weather no worse than moderate rain or something. If vision is fully solved they could do the same for city driving easily enough.

Now L5? I think the gap between L4-works in anything but bad weather, and L5 works anytime a human could drive is bigger than some folks think given the current fleets HW. (remember, they didn't even add a heater to the front radar till the Y so if you woke up to snow/ice, features unavailable)

I'd love to be wrong, but haven't seen any reason to think so yet....

(there is some AI work on correcting camera lens vision for rain obscuration, but it's still pretty limited, and the increase in compute required is MASSIVE if you want to do it in real-time as FSD would have to, and that required compute compounds per camera- I guess in theory if that is found to be "good enough" for L5 then maybe they can swap HW4 if it's powerful enough in there and be good but bad weather is a challenge specifically called out at autonomy day and the one I've seen the least said about solutions for since)

I put a fair amount of value on FSD as user features like city streets come out- both in increasing take buy take rate (and driving monthly revenue via subscriptions eventually too)... but there's a reason even ARK only lists Robotaxis as a 50/50 shot by 2025.
L5 is a very stupid ranking that may never be achieved.

E.g., it would have to be able to park in a fairgrounds based on people yelling at it where to go, and making up their own signs for directions and saying something like “over by the beer stand”.

For all intents and purposes, an L4 that does > 90% of an L5, is an unimaginable economic boon.

That is what I would suggest too. Tesla should put a "super chill" range mode in drive modes like the others. Limit top speed to 70mhp, cut engine power more than half, if AWD then disable one of the engines, low-power ac, low-power everything, no acceleration after 70mph. I wonder how many +miles Tesla would get in this mode over EPA.

All others are doing just this. It is some kind of cheating or hypermiling.

The only comparable efficiency figure between EVs is "range for performance". Otherwise it becomes like comparing the fuel economy of a 2 cylinder engine with a 6 cylinder engine. As for Edmunds and WLTP, they use the most efficient drive mode for testing. That is why WLTP score sucks in real life because most people don't drive their car in half-powered eco mode.
Yes, take a page out of Porsche’s playbook and offer a ‘less’ option to your customers to try and disguise that your product is flawed/not what was advertised. Whether that be premature battery degradation at charging rates we said were a-ok or increasing your range via reduced performance so you can get the range we said you could get.

It appears to me that some actually like to be lied to by companies about products. Excuse me while I go buy that bagel toaster that bagels don’t actually fit in. I’ll just put bread in or cut my bagel thinner and be happy the company is helping me watch my weight.

I do support the hypermill software setting.

But, it doesnt make sense to turn off headlights, as they use neglible amounts of energy.
In most parts of the world, use of headlights are mandatory 24/7.

You have tunnells, cloudy days, low sun.. lots of situations where headlight definitively have an impact on visibility. Not necessarily your own, but those around you(cars, pedestrians,cyclists etc.). A car with lights on grab a whole different kind of attention than one with dark headlights. (could be parked)
But "negligible" multiplied my millions of units, multiplied over hours and years, adds up to lots of additional emissions, wasted energy, wasted money--that's not healthy or sustainable.

They day I hit a parked/moving car while riding my bicycle in broad daylight is the day I'm not paying attention. My fault, no one else's.

IMHO energy savings and pollution reduction should be prioritized over protecting people from their own inattention.

Reactions: dhrivnak and Hrtme

Sounds like just changing the upfront quotes to more accurately reflect the likely final bid, rather than any sort of real price increase. I did check our address, and the quote increased approximately 30k.

E.g., it would have to be able to park in a fairgrounds based on people yelling at it where to go, and making up their own signs for directions and saying something like “over by the beer stand”.

For all intents and purposes, an L4 that does > 90% of an L5, is an unimaginable economic boon.
Totally agree. I think some steering will be possible from the phone app, once you are riding in a car that has no steering or controls. Just so you can pick a place to park in the scenarios you're talking about. The car will do its best to go where you're telling it to go. Human drivers make all sorts of judgement calls when there are no road markings. "Park on the grass, somewhere sensible" - is that something FSD is supposed to be able to do?

Reactions: kbM3

Sounds like just changing the upfront quotes to more accurately reflect the likely final bid, rather than any sort of real price increase. I did check our address, and the quote increased approximately 30k.
Also construction materials have skyrocketed. Roofing plywood has doubled in price. This change has some of the overhead cost factored in.

But "negligible" multiplied my millions of units, multiplied over hours and years, adds up to lots of additional emissions, wasted energy, wasted money--that's not healthy or sustainable.

They day I hit a parked/moving car while riding my bicycle in broad daylight is the day I'm not paying attention. My fault, no one else's.

IMHO energy savings and pollution reduction should be prioritized over protecting people from their own inattention.
Daytime driving lights makes your car much more visible to others. It's not about you crashing into others, it's about others crashing into you.

The crashes they prevent dwarf that extra cost I think.

Absolutely. But what that missing 10% is matters quite a bit.... especially to the narrative of some folks that RTs will replace a LOT of car ownership. If it can't run in snow or heavy rain for example, that's a non-starter to replace the primary car for a lot of folks...but would still be able to replace a 2nd or 3rd household vehicle in most cases, and still vastly lower accident rates overall.

Totally agree. I think some steering will be possible from the phone app, once you are riding in a car that has no steering or controls. Just so you can pick a place to park in the scenarios you're talking about. The car will do its best to go where you're telling it to go. Human drivers make all sorts of judgement calls when there are no road markings. "Park on the grass, somewhere sensible" - is that something FSD is supposed to be able to do?

AFAIK L5 requires being able to drive on:

SAE definition said:
all publicly accessible roadways (including parking areas and private campuses that permit public access)

So technically yeah- totally unmarked grass field used as a parking lot- if accessible to the public as a parking area- would count.

(I suppose the counter argument there is why would an RT be parking- it'd just drop you off on a real road and go on to next customer)