Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
school busses seem like perfect EV vehicles. Tons of down time to charge and don’t go many miles when in use and rarely on the highway. Unless doing a class trip of course.
They can also easily be built with capacity to carry larger battery packs for extended range. Particularly if they have integrated the battery pack into the chassis.

Can't wait to see a Mega-casted Tesla school bus. :cool:

is there a primary source online for Biden's plan? IE not someone's summary of it, but the actual thing? the closest i can find is this:

from FACT SHEET: The American Jobs Plan | The White House

I'd like to see greater detail, but within this summary, I see two interesting things:
  1. It sounds like the major manufacturers' decades of foot-dragging on EVs will be rewarded: the government will foot the bill for their EV retooling costs. More EVs is objectively a good thing, but it's annoying that this benefit exclusively helps entities who actively opposed the EV revolution.

2. The wording on point of sale EV incentives is unclear - it says incentives will apply to American-made EVs "while ensuring that these vehicles are affordable for all families and manufactured by workers with good jobs". I don't understand the "while" clause. Is it saying the incentive itself CAUSES affordable EVs and good jobs (because it lowers their price, and because American jobs are better than foreign ones), or is it saying the incentive will only APPLY to vehicles that are affordable (no S/X/3P) and made by "workers with good jobs" (code for *union* jobs). The latter interpretation would likely rule out Tesla from this incentive.
Not just ruling out TSLA, but also EV startups because the startups could not afford an union, aka UAW monopoly.

TSLA did have an union in Germany.

See this article from a UNC tax professor on ==>taxing book income<==. I don’t think it’s a stretch to posit he doesn’t like Ms Warren or any of her ideas very much, but reading through it gives a start on understanding the complexities and some of the consequences - some surprising unintended ones for sure - of concentrating on book income.
Link: Biden Piles On! Some Thoughts on Taxing Book Income – UNC Tax Center

Does anyone have an estimate for the lower bound of P/D numbers needed in order to have a realistic chance of hitting the rumored 1M target for this year? I realize that 1M P/D for 2021 would depend heavily on contributions from Berlin and Austin.

As others have mentioned, P/D for Q1 and Q2 should offer some visibility on their internal goals. Others here have a better read on this sort of thing than I do, so I'm just wondering if folks have numbers in mind that would signal one way or another on the achievability of that rumored 1M 2021 target.

If we assume a 25% growth per quarter (this is obviously insane growth for such a large company), right around 173.5k vehicles. Here are the average vehicle quarterly growth numbers for the past 3 years:

2018 - 37.45%
2019 - 9.48%
2020 - 16.19%

Barron's - 1.5 hours ago: Tesla could be big winner in infrastructure plan

Excerpts:

...The biggest beneficiaries should be electric-vehicle makers and clean-energy providers. Biden's plan includes additional incentives to buy electric vehicles in the form of tax credits and rebates...

...Tesla, however, no longer qualifies for the current federal tax credit because it has sold too many vehicles. Wall Street expects Biden's plan to eliminate that cap...

This hasn’t been said yet. But there are a lot of pranksters here that like to say stuff on earnings days or around delivery reporting days. Added to that annoying pattern is that this deliveries day is also April 1st adjacent.

It would be greatly appreciated if nobody tries to be funny this time around. Just let the real numbers come out when they come out.

What kind of terrible person would do such a thing?!