Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After jumping out to an early lead, today's contest was evenly matched with the home team's score never deviating far from 700. Today's event was lightly attended, and the average attendance of the last 10 games is about 20% lower than the season average. Fans must be sitting on the sideline as they await the arrival of the earnings report. Overall, a great start to the week, but the big question is if they can keep the momentum going for the entire week.

Today
Score: 701.98
Margin of W/L: 24.96
Attendance: 28,924,559

Season
Record: 34-34
Total margin of wins: 804.51
Total margin of losses: -808.20
YTD gain/loss: -3.69 -0.52%
Avg margin of victory: 23.66
Avg margin of defeat: -23.77
Best Win: 110.58 2021-03-09
Worst Loss: -68.83 2021-01-11
Last 10: 6-4
Streak: W1
Avg Attendance: 38,695,241
Avg Attendance of Last 10: 31,718,571

I have no idea why closing above $700 today was of technical importance. Perhaps it was purely a psychological barrier. Since we closed above $700, this may indicate the start of the recovery back to at least the $800s. I'd love to see us gradually rise to $800 by the time of the quarterly call, with a push higher afterward.

I have no idea why closing above $700 today was of technical importance. Perhaps it was purely a psychological barrier. Since we closed above $700, this may indicate the start of the recovery back to at least the $800s. I'd love to see us gradually rise to $800 by the time of the quarterly call, with a push higher afterward.
What I love is that 100 dollars in two weeks is gradual.

Yeah baby! Only in TSLA!

I am in the boat that says this closing above 700 was significant. Macros behave, time for TSLA to run.

Gamma squeeze, anyone?

What I love is that 100 dollars in two weeks is gradual.

Yeah baby! Only in TSLA!

I am in the boat that says this closing above 700 was significant. Macros behave, time for TSLA to run.

Gamma squeeze, anyone?
Haven't you learned anything!? We want the macros to go DOWN........because so far in 2021, we never follow the macros up on the positive days 🥴 ;)

Count me as not impressed with Ford selling 6,614 Mach-E when they produced 14,805. Did I miss something?

Obviously, because Ford doesn't try to "game" the quarterly sales like Tesla does with their end of quarter pushes. Ford could have sold almost every last one but they don't play that end of quarter game. At least not on their EV sales. Because it wouldn't be a fair fight, I mean Ford knows how to make quality cars in volume. They don't use their customers as quality control guinea pigs. When Ford is ready to turn on the production line for customers, every car is perfect, they just flip the switch and the perfect cars start streaming off the line at full production speed. All those Mach-e glass roofs that don't line up with the windshield? Fake news caused by Tesla fan boys posing as Mach-e buyers.

TSLA investors are running scared!

/s

The competition has come but they thought they were coming to a knife fight. Mark Spiegel is filing appeals with the Automobile Manufacturer's Association and the Society of Automotive Engineers claiming Tesla has acted in bad faith. Apparently, all those shoddily built cars that kept catching on fire, cars with huge panel gaps and whompy wheels falling off were built that way on purpose, in bad faith, to game the system. The basis of his claim is that Tesla, with full knowledge and foresight, delivered defective cars specifically to make the competition think it was a knife fight. Then, when the competition arrived, Tesla pulled out the machine guns and mowed all the defenseless competition to the ground. Totally unfair and unsportsmanlike to call for a knife fight and bring a machine gun! This needs to taken seriously.

/s

Thank you for explicitly making my point...and see below

Yes, but in response to the FUD that Mach-E will become a “sales leader”, it most certainly will not when they lose money on every copy. Sales of these will be limited to what Ford needs, not necessarily what the buyers want.
Because the Buyers are the Dealers, they will get what they want (low production, and a way to have them come in frequently for service, and not as good as the ICE offerings.)

Obviously, because Ford doesn't try to "game" the quarterly sales like Tesla does with their end of quarter pushes. Ford could have sold almost every last one but they don't play that end of quarter game. At least not on their EV sales. Because it wouldn't be a fair fight, I mean Ford knows how to make quality cars in volume. They don't use their customers as quality control guinea pigs. When Ford is ready to turn on the production line for customers, every car is perfect, they just flip the switch and the perfect cars start streaming off the line at full production speed. All those Mach-e glass roofs that don't line up with the windshield? Fake news caused by Tesla fan boys posing as Mach-e buyers.

TSLA investors are running scared!

/s

The competition has come but they thought they were coming to a knife fight. Mark Spiegel is filing appeals with the Automobile Manufacturer's Association and the Society of Automotive Engineers claiming Tesla has acted in bad faith. Apparently, all those shoddily built cars that kept catching on fire, cars with huge panel gaps and whompy wheels falling off were built that way on purpose, in bad faith, to game the system. The basis of his claim is that Tesla, with full knowledge and foresight, delivered defective cars specifically to make the competition think it was a knife fight. Then, when the competition arrived, Tesla pulled out the machine guns and mowed all the defenseless competition to the ground. Totally unfair and unsportsmanlike to call for a knife fight and bring a machine gun! This needs to taken seriously.

/s
Main reason is because Mike Levine was not able to contact 'every' single dealer to tell them 'Do not price gouge customers nor put any 'markups' on the Mach-E......We will take care of you on the backend...wink, wink, nudge, nudge' :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

OT - move along - literally nothing to see here.

Sandy Munro: "Commonplace for a less expensive car"
The most interesting thing I saw in that video was that VW felt the need to paint their aluminum motor/inverter/gearbox case. I can only think of two reasons why they might have spent the money, one good and one bad:

Good: It's a ceramic insulating paint to reduce heat loss during cold weather. Normally, this would not be done because removing heat is generally a good thing to prevent over-heating but they could have designed the coolant system to take care of all thermal management and this provides more thermal efficiency and control.

Bad: During testing it was discovered their motor design generated stray electrical currents that induced galvanic corrosion so they decided to coat it to prevent water from touching the metal. This will delay galvanic corrosion until the coating fails.

Personally, I think the latter is about 4 times as likely as the former because a thermal coating that thin would not matter enough to make it cost effective.

In both cases it's an added expense that makes the car less cost-competitive.

Thank you for explicitly making my point...and see below

Yes, but in response to the FUD that Mach-E will become a “sales leader”, it most certainly will not when they lose money on every copy. Sales of these will be limited to what Ford needs, not necessarily what the buyers want.
What are the odds the Mach-E margin won't be in their earnings (warning: PDF) on Apr 28th?

OT: I find it funny that Google thinks I said 'Mocky'. I wonder how many times that happens when folks search with voice? :eek:

For the TA folks:

According to the tea leaves, today was a good day as we are pushing upwards towards this 50 day line thing. If we break through before earnings then we'll be in a good position indeed.

Just as I predicted well over a year ago, the Porsche Taycan is no match on the racetrack for the lowly Model 3 Performance:

I watched the race there. The Taycan was almost as stock and the driver mentioned that after five laps (less than 10 minutes), the power was limited and the maximum speed became 150kph (93mph). The driver also mentioned there was no way to know the battery temperature etc to avoid overheating, and the car was in the limited mode for the rest of the race.

Do they have a "track mode" like software? I'm guessing the Taycan on the Nurburgring had a different track-ready BMS or cooling system?

I watched the race there. The Taycan was almost as stock and the driver mentioned that after five laps (less than 10 minutes), the power was limited and the maximum speed became 150kph (93mph). The driver also mentioned there was no way to know the battery temperature etc to avoid overheating, and the car was in the limited mode for the rest of the race.

Do they have a "track mode" like software? I'm guessing the Taycan on the Nurburgring had a different track-ready BMS or cooling system?
The Nurburgring times are for only one hot lap. It's a long track but the temperatures were probably cooler. It was also not a production car.

Even given all this, I'm shocked that Porsche, a company whose name rests on it's track performance, didn't simply put in a more robust thermal cooling system to provide for track usage. This would probably only add a small number of lbs. and less than $100 to the production cost. Probably because they were squeezing for every last ounce of efficiency at the end of the design phase and a more powerful thermal management system would have a small hit to efficiency that they couldn't afford. The Model 3 is considerably more aerodynamically efficient at speed and has a more efficient drivetrain so there is a lot less heat to manage.

This efficiency makes the Model 3 incredibly fun to drive at higher speeds for longer periods of time if you are somewhere that a speeding ticket is not a concern. It just eats up the miles effortlessly and you can feel the way it slices through the atmosphere at high speeds. I realize this doesn't matter to 99% of the market (let them drive Y's) but I love it!

The Nurburgring times are for only one hot lap. It's a long track but the temperatures were probably cooler. It was also not a production car.

Even given all this, I'm shocked that Porsche, a company whose name rests on it's track performance, didn't simply put in a more robust thermal cooling system to provide for track usage. This would probably only add a small number of lbs. and less than $100 to the production cost. Probably because they were squeezing for every last ounce of efficiency at the end of the design phase and a more powerful thermal management system would have a small hit to efficiency that they couldn't afford. The Model 3 is considerably more aerodynamically efficient at speed and has a more efficient drivetrain so there is a lot less heat to manage.

This efficiency makes the Model 3 incredibly fun to drive at higher speeds for longer periods of time if you are somewhere that a speeding ticket is not a concern. It just eats up the miles effortlessly and you can feel the way it slices through the atmosphere at high speeds. I realize this doesn't matter to 99% of the market (let them drive Y's) but I love it!

The Model X handles very well for what it is, but I'm used to driving smaller sporty vehicles like the Model 3 and sometimes miss that nimble driving dynamic. Looking forward to testing out a Plaid S later this year so I can decide between it and a M3P and complete our household's conversion to EVs.

Why Tesla is dumping radar, a new info twist - as some figured out, our mentations, while fun to indulge in, were no match for Tesla's own AI techs ;D
From Twitter Tristan's tweet

TESLA.radar.repl.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting: "Previously, it was believed that the level of joint use of parts of Model 3 and Model Y reached 70%, however it turned out that this is not the case. In fact, the cars appeared to share about only 25% of similar parts."

superior German engineering not found