Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This. Without Panasonic there to build up the battery production and have it ready when needed I think the model 3 ramp up would have been a real threat to the company, not just to the shareholders risking dilution when Tesla could have been seeking financing at at bad valuation.

Yes, seems unlikely we'll see Giga Nevada get built out much further. Unless they find some other use for the location.
I think the biggest issue is labor required. I believe Elon has realized that the young talent Tesla needs isnt interested in living out in the middle of nowhere. Thus they are building in places like Austin and Berlin where younger workers want to be.

I think the biggest issue is labor required. I believe Elon has realized that the young talent Tesla needs isnt interested in living out in the middle of nowhere. Thus they are building in places like Austin and Berlin where younger workers want to be.
Absolutely. Austin sure beats Sparks in that regard.

But that would be easily solvable with a couple of 700 mph tunnels from Las Vegas and Los Angeles for daily commuting.

To add to this: the dips keep getting bought on relatively little volume. Whoever is buying is accumulating, it seems, and doesn't want the stock price to spike too much.

This bodes well for the days ahead leading up to the ER.
Short positions carefully being covered? Perhaps naked short MM positions?

Next big wall of calls is at $800. That will be the first battle for 1Q earnings, unclear when it starts.

Maybe because it isn't up to Tesla. Tesla builds the building, Panasonic builds the cell production lines. And Panasonic obviously still has space available because they are building a trial 4680 cell line there. So for whatever reason Panasonic doesn't want to build more lines at GigaNevada. Be that labor, housing, water, investment capital, etc...

If it's the case the Tesla can build their own lines without Panasonic, why not go ahead and do it at GF1?

The labor market is one of the explanations I've heard for not expanding and it makes the most sense to me. At least until recently, I heard they were on mandatory overtime in Nevada. There just aren't enough people there.

Austin's much larger labor force is one of the reasons they chose their Texas location.

Right. Why clog the Investor's Roundtable with posts that can help everyone make money when we can spend pages talking about radar.... /s
I get it: this forum can get very (overly ?) granular. No doubt.
But, some of us hold the firm belief that Full Self Driving(FSD) is, at some unknown future time, going to be *very very very* important for Teslas and TSLAs future. As such, seemingly minor issues, like if radar is or is not going to be included in the future FSD 'package' speaks loudly to precisely how sure Tesla is re. if their vision-only FSD is the way or not.
And, therefore for some of us, even seemingly peripheral issues re. FSD is very important. And yes, important enough for the main thread.
Off course, mods may disagree, and if so, I humbly stand corrected.

Correction: Missed the /s ... duh!

That's a subject that deserves about 30X the number of articles it actually gets devoted to it. But the MSM is too embarrassed to write them because it's highlights their inadequacies. They are the ones that were supposed to make people aware of the disconnect between popular perception and reality. But, like the mainstream financial firms, they totally missed it too.

This was a good thing for most of us. However, even on a thread like this there were the people who were constantly negative on the company, who were constantly trying to bring us back to "reality", and who bought into the mainstream ideas that demand was limited, profitability was unlikely, the company didn't know what they were doing and the 'competition' would eat Tesla alive. We had to constantly slap them back to reality by using actual facts, data, and real-world observations but they were like little 'negative Nellie' energizer bunnies who continually confused FUD for reality and whose batteries would never die. A few of them are still here and carry on as if they are a regular part of the Tesla bull community. :rolleyes:

I still am not 100% sure whether they mean active harm or merely have an innate inability to see reality when it's laid in front of them.

I think part of the reason for less than super bullish comments is that it takes time for a super high conviction to form.

When I first heard about Tesla in 2012/13 it was immediately obvious to me that EVs were superior to ICE and going to be the future (lower maintenance, fewer parts, amazing performance, good range). But you (i.e me) also need to convince yourself of quite a few other items to truly know you're on to a winner:
  • that the rest of the world will eventually think the same way
  • That costs will come down with increased production
  • That the industry could scale with the resources available
  • That demand was there to follow increased production and not caught in some timing mismatch
  • That Tesla is the right horse to back
  • That Elon was the right jockey
  • In 2013 - would the giant auto companies actually try to compete
All these have been solidly answered with time and research - and by the mid-2019 dip it was blatantly obvious to those that had done the work, but I can see why negative comments turn up from time to time doubting some of the above items for people still trying to gain a deep understanding of the disruption to come by what will most likely be the greatest company of the next 20 years.

This board has been a uniquely beneficial source of info to answer the above questions.

We all knew there is a special/ friendly relationship between Elon Musk and VW's Herbert Diess - now more details, apparently Elon wanted to hand over the management of Tesla to VW boss Herbert Diess in 2014 according to this Business Insider article . It's in German, an approximate Google translation is here.

.. According to research by Business Insider, Diess had an employment contract from the Americans that was ready to be signed. Accordingly, Elon Musk wanted to hand over the management of Tesla to Diess. A spectacular process that Diess has so far only let in on a few people at Volkswagen. When asked, a VW spokesman said: "No comment."

Diess left unanswered why the then head of BMW development ultimately decided against Tesla. Certainly, the importance of Tesla in 2014 was not comparable to the current splendor of the most valuable automobile company in the world. "

PS. The Google translation leaves much to be desired. Anyone wants to polish it can suggest an improvement directly on the Google translate page (and here, too of course: faster)
Probably Diess did not want to make money on stock options, which would likely would have been part of the arrangement...

I'd bet decent money that he has an offer letter signed "Elon Musk" on his desk already.

Yeah it's unconfirmed from BI but most here thought I was crazy. 😘

To so many luxury means more parts. I paid more money I want more parts is the mindset.
nintchdbpict000306005552.jpg
MuhammadAli-52286230.jpg

"Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee."
--Muhammad Ali and Model 3

$740 is the new $700 then... how many times
Short positions carefully being covered? Perhaps naked short MM positions?

Next big wall of calls is at $800. That will be the first battle for 1Q earnings, unclear when it starts.
There's the small matter of a pretty steep wall to get over at $750 first, although $730 proved to be relatively easy, I think the hedging for that is part of the run up today.

Ha, did we finally break through $740?

Price movements seem to be following Nasdaq very closely today, albeit with a certain multiplier...
1618330805802.png

Benzinga - 4 minutes ago: Unusual Options Activity - TSLA

Excerpt:

For TSLA (NASDAQ:TSLA), we notice a call option sweep that happens to be bullish, expiring in 3 day(s) on April 16, 2021. This event was a transfer of 250 contract(s) at a $800.00 strike. This particular call needed to be split into 28 different trades to become filled. The total cost received by the writing party (or parties) was $75.0K, with a price of $300.0 per contract. There were 43757 open contracts at this strike prior to today, and today 44121 contract(s) were bought and sold.

Excerpt:

For TSLA (NASDAQ:TSLA), we notice a call option sweep that happens to be bullish, expiring in 3 day(s) on April 16, 2021. This event was a transfer of 250 contract(s) at a $800.00 strike. This particular call needed to be split into 28 different trades to become filled. The total cost received by the writing party (or parties) was $75.0K, with a price of $300.0 per contract. There were 43757 open contracts at this strike prior to today, and today 44121 contract(s) were bought and sold.
So my lonely 4/16 $860 might come back from the dead? Poor little guy. I had all but forgotten about him. Gotta say that I'm glad I bought most of my calls in July or later.

• Funny
Reactions: SOULPEDL

Excerpt:

Gah!! Sold my $800's for half that.