Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not sure how much Diess could bring to the table for Tesla.

He has management experience in one of the few companies larger than Tesla - but how relevant is that? His experience is in a heavily politicised organisation trying to adapt a long history of ICE manufacturing into the new world. Tesla runs under a benevolent dictatorship under Elon.

He is very well connected in German/EU politics which might be useful to open doors or perhaps change Tesla's image in certain parts of Europe ("Tesla now has a proper vehicle manufacturing leadership"). The political element is probably less relevant these days as governments all over the world are throwing offers at Tesla to bring manufacturing to their shores, but could still be useful negotiating with German work councils.

He's probably best used at Tesla as in a fluffy job such as "policy expert" or "thought leader" who can help out with negotiations through the EU bureaucracy.

@avoigt What are your thoughts?

My opinion is that despite I really appreciate Diess in trying to turn the VW tanker around he is not a valuable asset for Tesla and Elon will not hire him. I actually believe that considering Elons temperament he would fire Diess very quickly again.

Tesla is already well connected to major German politicians, Automakers, and Regulators.

Diess is valuable for the other German Automakers but not for Tesla

Things are getting toasty.

E*TRADE just increased margin maintenance requirement on Tesla from 40% to 70%. Looks like overleveraged retail will be getting margin called out of their shares.
Be careful with margin. Can't say that enough. With margin you give a part of the control to others. Think of it as having Morgan Stanley looking after your interests. (scary) ( NO /s )

The issue on the table is whether to honor Diess' request to extend his contract beyond the current expiration date of 2023.

That can be viewed as a confidence vote, a decision to not extend undermines his authority especially as he requested it.

I think he requested it because he needs the additional authority it would confer.

This is the kind of situation where a rejection often leads to the rejected party leaving well before the current expiration date.

So in the interest of sharing, where do you see as a good point to sell those short-term calls? I initially thought Dec 18th, since that's when all the trading/frenzy will be concentrated on (due to options expiration), but then I've had a change of heart.

I think SP will peak the week of Dec 21st, possibly as late as Dec 23rd. By that point, the only activity left would be the laggard funds trying to avoid the massive trading of Dec 18th. But at that point, there also won't be (m)any sellers left, leaving the laggard funds to raise the buy offers until a long is willing to give up their position. That's countered by the presence of shorts thinking that it's a good time to start shorting again.
I don't have an exact date in mind although I will almost certainly not hold these short-term calls past the week of Dec. 21. I will probably watch for a day with a large (5-10%), fast, high-volume drop, especially if preceding there is what looks like a blowout top - something like what happened Feb. 4 but doesn't have to be that dramatic. I will also probably start selling in parts starting Dec. 18 no matter what. Note that this can all change in a heartbeat - if there is a massive drop this week (especially if there is news or macro behind it), I may want to just close everything out and still retain some of the big profit that has built up.

This seems to be a reoccurring theme from Elon every 6 months or so. When you are growing fast important to emphasize the small stuff so employees and do not become complacent.

Although I do believe the small stuff is important the game changers are the new 4680 batteries, FSD, body castings, and the scale of multiple factories. These will set Tesla apart in the EV race.
yes and when Tesla employees are glued to the TSLA ticker instead of building and delivering vehicles.....not that i would know anything about such behavioro_O

E*TRADE just increased margin maintenance requirement on Tesla from 40% to 70%. Looks like overleveraged retail will be getting margin called out of their shares.

They have been there for a while - it's been 70% for me for several months. Perhaps you hadn't hit their concentration limits, which brings about the increased margin maintenance requirement. With margin, I've been over 100% in TSLA in my account for a while. There's hope that once in the S&P, the margin maintenance requirement will be lowered. Fortunately for me, I bought on margin before the stock split, so I've had two big run-ups which have given tons of margin breathing room. Good luck!

Ark sold some TSLA

Attachments

• C843984C-F8B7-4CD9-857D-F4C692B4B10E_4_5005_c.jpeg
    C843984C-F8B7-4CD9-857D-F4C692B4B10E_4_5005_c.jpeg
    157.2 KB · Views: 90
Just as a note of caution.

The big guys try many tactics to scare smaller investors out of shares. We may see that activity increasing the next days. With the inclusion in a few weeks and buying from funds guaranteed that's easy money for every share, they can collect.

Don't allow them to fool you

Pre-split SP of $3000 (current $600) was a price I was willing to part with my shares earlier this year. Then battery day happened. Then I went from being a pretty big FSD skeptic to being more like "okay maybe I'm just dumb and should listen to Elon."

There are some numbers that the SP might go to in the near term that would be life changing for me ($700-$800+), but I still haven't put in the orders to sell at that level. Mostly being lazy with my TSLA over the years has been the best thing for me. And I feel like my shares are a ticket to some really great entertainment. And I think I'm one of the younger posters in this thread, so I'm in no rush.

"Oh no, I missed the December spike to $750? Darn, I'll have to keep working at a job I actually kinda like. And wait another few months for it to go back to $750." How tough it is to be a TSLA investor...

Just as a note of caution.

The big guys try many tactics to scare smaller investors out of shares. We may see that activity increasing the next days. With the inclusion in a few weeks and buying from funds guaranteed that's easy money for every share, they can collect.

Don't allow them to fool you

I really needed to hear this. TSLA has been my ticket to a better life. I’ve been so anxious the last several days.

HODL

No, they didn't. They increased your margin maintenance requirement because the value of TSLA in your account exceeded a threshold (I believe it's 80% of the value of all stocks in your account... options don't count.) It's a Fed requirement that they prevent overconcentration in margin accounts. My advice is to call them and say "I'll sell a little Tesla and buy other stuff (eg. ARKK), but I can't while I have a margin call".

Edit: if you don't currently have an actual margin call, just buy something else safe.

I really needed to hear this. TSLA has been my ticket to a better life. I’ve been so anxious the last several days.

HODL

I’ve been so anxious the last several days - Don't go on twitter, facebook, cnbs, marketwatch...just come to TMC and your problems will be solved...you may even learn a thing or two about islands :)

No, they didn't. They increased your margin maintenance requirement because the value of TSLA in your account exceeded a threshold (I believe it's 80% of the value of all stocks in your account... options don't count.) It's a Fed requirement that they prevent overconcentration in margin accounts. My advice is to call them and say "I'll sell a little Tesla and buy other stuff (eg. ARKK), but I can't while I have a margin call".

Edit: if you don't currently have an actual margin call, just buy something else safe.
What kind of margin call prevents you from selling some TSLA? That's one way to clear it.

So in the interest of sharing, where do you see as a good point to sell those short-term calls? I initially thought Dec 18th, since that's when all the trading/frenzy will be concentrated on (due to options expiration), but then I've had a change of heart.

I think SP will peak the week of Dec 21st, possibly as late as Dec 23rd. By that point, the only activity left would be the laggard funds trying to avoid the massive trading of Dec 18th. But at that point, there also won't be (m)any sellers left, leaving the laggard funds to raise the buy offers until a long is willing to give up their position. That's countered by the presence of shorts thinking that it's a good time to start shorting again.

I’m at 88% TSLA and I haven’t seen a change. I believe the last number I saw was 60% margin equity requirement.

edit: I’m looking for a good time to sell a bit and get rid of the remaining margin. A time like this infinity thingy.

It's a rallying the troops email that he is famous for....when it is taken out of context by the media.

TL;DR HODL

Q4 will be hard for the automotive industry and Tesla will be the North star shinning brightly with 500k+ for the year (massive Y/Y growth where others are shrinking quickly, going bankrupt and/or have deals to give Tesla money to build more plants)