Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I listened to Rob talking about hoping the answer to this question will open up some eyes from institutional investors. My take is that it wouldn't do a thing because.

1. Elon already said he will open up Dojo for monetization

2. It is still unclear what he is selling here. Something like this requires AI day to fully flesh out what this product is exactly and why would anyone be interested. It's also keen to already have a paying customer trial running this, giving the stamp of approval. And if he's selling this as "your only way to L5 autonomy", there needs to be a proof of concept of this as in FSD 1.0 L5 achieved. Not having L5 achieved makes whatever this is no better or worst than all the other training servers that haven't reached L5 for their customers.

Even though Tesla have gotten a ton of credibility from their financial guide and production guide, the area they lack credibility the most is their autonomy program. So stock will not move based on anything FSD related until wallstreet sees that revenue stream first hand, not on a story.

DWS has nothing to do with a Tesla product or FSD. So it doesn't require any information from AI day. It has to do with some AI, or large computing, task that some other person/company wants to run and they need computing resources to run it. (It could be L5 related, like Comma.AI, or totally unrelated.) This is like AWS, Azure, Google Cloud Computing, etc... You build the hardware/service and people bring their problems to you to run on your platform when you don't need it for your own problems. It will be a by-product of Tesla building the compute that they need for their FSD program.

But you not understanding it proves the point that the analysts likely don't either.

Last edited:
DWS has nothing to do with a Tesla product or FSD. So it doesn't require any information from AI day. It has to do with some AI, or large computing task, that some other person/company wants to run and they need computing resources to run it. This is like AWS, Azure, Google Cloud Computing, etc... You build the hardware/service and people bring their problems to you to run on your platform when you don't need it for your own problems. It will be a by-product of Tesla building the compute that they need for their FSD program.

But you not understanding it proves the point that the analysts likely don't either.
No, this is running on proprietary Tesla processors focused primarily on AI training which is useless for AWS customer or Azure who mostly use them for virtual machines needing X86 cores and graphics. The number of programs that can run on Dojo is whatever Tesla provides, not universally compatible software like the ones customers want to use in a virtual X86 machine environment.

No, this is running on proprietary Tesla processors focused primarily on AI training which is useless for AWS customer or Azure who mostly use them for virtual machines needing X86 cores and graphics. The number of programs that can run on Dojo is whatever Tesla provides, not universally compatible software like the ones customers want to use in a virtual X86 PC environment.

But Azure is also used for a lot of AI tasks. (I know we use Azure for that, and if Tesla can provide computing resources that are faster and/or cheaper it is very likely that we would do the development work necessary to port our workloads to run on DWS instead.)

Most likely Tesla won't provide programs, they will provide an API that developers can use to develop their own workloads. (Tesla may very well provide some sample AI training programs that could be used as an example/starting point.)

Just an after-hours thought:
Unlike some years ago I noticed that I am about the only left who who still has a (reasonably) realistic profile photo.
Is that because everybody else now has to protect their privacy after they became billionaires?
Either way, it's boring...

I assure you mine is incredibly realistic.

Unlike some years ago I noticed that I am about the only left who who still has a (reasonably) realistic profile photo.
Is that because everybody else now has to protect their privacy after they became billionaires?
OK, just to keep you happy...

But Azure is also used for a lot of AI tasks. (I know we use Azure for that, and if Tesla can provide computing resources that are faster and/or cheaper it is very likely that we would do the development work necessary to port our workloads to run on DWS instead.)

Most likely Tesla won't provide programs, they will provide an API that developers can use to develop their own workloads. (Tesla may very well provide some sample AI training programs that could be used as an example/starting point.)
Yes because those servers are nothing but a bunch of Intel/AMD cores with a bunch of Nvidia GPUs. Companies buy resources (like I want 8 CPU cores and 2 A100 GPUs) to do their training. But most of their customers just want it for virtual machines, not training. If they were really serious about training, they would build their own ASIC dedicated training servers like what Google did. But if a company wants to do some light training, then GPU and cpu Azure or AWS provide is fine.

Tesla is not using conventional hardware here. Most conventional training software runs on CUDA cores(Nvidia) or ROCm. So Tesla needs to build the software stack and provide why this is better than Nvidia, the typical go to. AMD has been wanting to penetrate this space for years but it's not easy not because of a lack of compute, but a lack of good software ecosystem.

No, this is running on proprietary Tesla processors focused primarily on AI training which is useless for AWS customer or Azure who mostly use them for virtual machines needing X86 cores and graphics. The number of programs that can run on Dojo is whatever Tesla provides, not universally compatible software like the ones customers want to use in a virtual X86 machine environment.

Presumably, Tesla is going to provide an API to their powerful NN platform. Users will create their own programs that make use of Tesla's hardware and platform to create intelligent applications that would otherwise be impossible. In the same way that AWS provides instant server infrastructure that can be arbitrarily scaled at a moment's notice, Tesla will do the same for AI and machine learning.

Hey! No need for insults.

OK folks, I gotta actually make stuff in my own little Factory/Lab.

So far, I have no trades pending either way. Friday's gonna be a work-distraction day for sure. No clue what I'm going to do really - everyone makes a great case on short-term movement. If there is a pull back post-earnings, I bet we're not even up to that future ER dip price. Volume today went from Low to Ave by day end.

Maybe some shorties are in retreat as if they just heard a million horses coming over the next hill, and with the sun is directly in their eyes. Gathering stones for ER day is my guess.

Well, one other reason I can think of is that for the past year I have felt a bit of barber-phobia, which in time developed into the reverse; barbers now fear my very sight. It may be similar for others. (Not naming any names ...)

Presumably, Tesla is going to provide an API to their powerful NN platform. Users will create their own programs that make use of Tesla's hardware and platform to create intelligent applications that would otherwise be impossible. In the same way that AWS provides instant server infrastructure that can be arbitrarily scaled at a moment's notice, Tesla will do the same for AI and machine learning.
If Tesla builds their DOJO processors like how they build their FSD Chip, then it's very specific type of training. The type that requires a lot of data which requires large NN. Lots need to be revealed from AI day to fully understand implication of this and it's not something that can answered on a conference call. Also we are all speculating based on the tiny bit of bread crumbs Musk dropped.

WSJ - 14 minutes ago: Biden to Unwind Trump Auto Emissions Policy

Excerpt:

The Biden administration is moving to end a legal battle with California over the state’s authority to regulate motor-vehicle emissions, setting the stage for stricter regulations on the auto industry, according to people briefed on those plans.

I posted the above message before I left for my pandemic delayed visit to my dermatologist. Successful. Then my first visit to a grocery store in a year. Successful. These followed my recent long delayed physical exam and colonoscopy. Successful-Successful. It's been more than a month since my second Covid shot. Hooray. :D

Glad so many here appreciated the above linked article. And special thanks for surprising me with all of that TSLA buying interest while I was busy. :cool:

Mine is analogous to dressing for the job you wanna have...