Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, I’d love to see Tesla tech in ebikes, but I would not like to see Tesla shop staff distracted from selling cars and big ticket energy systems by a hoard of (possibly young and boisterous) bike enthusiasts.

Maybe Tesla is better served by producing only the working components and letting others brand and outlet the bikes, labeled with “Tesla powered“.
They could sell the bike exclusively online in the Tesla Shop.

Also, eventually, 3 and Y will support the east coast and then Fremont is for the west. I think it was in one of the past quarter reports.
Just my guess… Once Texas is fully ramped (maybe Q3 ‘23) I could see TSLA using Fremont as a pilot factory for new designs. Nobody will really want the model 3&Y from Fremont when they are available from 3 brand new state of the art factories. Fremont 3/Y production capacity will be insignificant IMHO. If robo semi is a thing by then cost of delivery goes way down.

I have a 2014 Model S if you want to trade ;)
Its peak charge rate is 90kW, but it will quickly taper to 60kW, so you can take your leisurely time to return to it.
There’s pros and cons to both scenarios. In the moment it felt like I had a Predator’s iWatch shoved in my face counting down to annihilation. That was too much pressure for the circumstances.

Don't be fooled about how Ford plans to make their money through this decade at a minimum. It would be better for the planet if they just went away so they couldn't continue selling as many ICE as practically possible. I wish it were not so but the truth does not care about my wishes, it is what it is.
Perhaps you are right. On the other hand what Ford plans and what customers want may result in a change in plans. Ford does understand EV technology and seems to have the knowledge to make a credible BEV truck. Screws up their business model but so what, they have no choice really.

I think ICE vehicles will fail in the marketplace when it becomes obvious resale value is collapsing.

We need either GM or Ford to make a successful pickup. This helps advance the mission. Ford is most likely to do this IMO. I hedge my stance a bit in case Munro uncovers some nasty warts within the Mach-e.

The US has a love affaire with pick-ups. The market can easily enjoy 2 trucks. And we need vans too.

Perhaps you are right. On the other hand what Ford plans and what customers want may result in a change in plans. Ford does understand EV technology and seems to have the knowledge to make a credible BEV truck. Screws up their business model but so what, they have no choice really.

I think ICE vehicles will fail in the marketplace when it becomes obvious resale value is collapsing.

We need either GM or Ford to make a successful pickup. This helps advance the mission. Ford is most likely to do this IMO. I hedge my stance a bit in case Munro uncovers some nasty warts within the Mach-e.

The US has a love affaire with pick-ups. The market can easily enjoy 2 trucks. And we need vans too.
I don’t think the mistakes Ford made will show up to Munro’s methods. The motor will be Ok and the batteries will look alright, but chemistry is out of scope. Hard to know about that.

I was surprised at how quick it was when I tried to go shopping at an outdoor strip mall with supercharger stalls a couple months ago.

Needless to say, had to move the car after a series of escalating notifications of idle charges, after only the first store of too many.

I look forward to the day of reverse summon.

“Tesla go park yourself when your charge is complete”
I would totally love the reverse summon feature.

February 2020, When we were supercharging at Albany, my wife was breastfeeding in the family laundge in the mall on our way back from Washington DC and I was suprised by the speed of the supercharging. I ended up doing a little jog in the parking lot to make sure not to get hit by idle fees, this supercharging is always crowded.

I usually never stay in the car when we supercharge, either I try to find a park with the kids for them to play or we go grab some food however I feel it's always a rush to go back to the car with small kids. We always end up with more SOC than we actually need.

Haha, r/wallstreetbets hit 10 million subs today. 10 million absolute degenerates. What a milestone.

We are living through the biggest stonk playing generation in history. It's all going to end up with a lot of instant millionaires and then a lot of instant bankruptcies. I just hope we can stay the course on TSLA through the booms and busts all the way to our private islands or whatever.

GM is halfway through building a 30 GWh battery factory in Ohio and has approved a second 35 GWh factory in Tennessee.

Ford just approved a battery lab. And has ~8GWh of reserved capacity at SKI 2nd Georgia factory scheduled to come online in 2023.

The Cybertruck reveal unleashed such disbelief and outrage about its "ridiculous" appearance that some folks seem to think a significant market will remain for "normal-looking" electric trucks. I don't think so.

The ridicule of Cybertruck reminds me of the iPhone reveal: "It looks weird." "No keys? Who can type on flat glass?" "Who the hell wants to watch movies or videos on a phone?"

But the weird-looking phone killed Blackberry, Nokia and Motorola because it has functionality that they couldn't match. Weird appearance was forgotten when buyers realized they could do ten times as much with the device, including increase its functionality with a legion of apps that nobody imagined before.

Cybertruck will have more than just onboard electrical outlets (which Ford will likely imitate): onboard air compressor, highly adjustable angle of approach, rustproof dent-proof bulletproof (badass) body, solar panel option, superior range and performance (of course), FSD, and over-the-air updates enabling future increased functionality in a legion of ways that nobody can imagine.

Cybertruck will kill Ford, IMO. As I may have mentioned before, I expect bankruptcy for the blue oval in ten years, if not five.

Last edited:
I would totally love the reverse summon feature.

February 2020, When we were supercharging at Albany, my wife was breastfeeding in the family laundge in the mall on our way back from Washington DC and I was suprised by the speed of the supercharging. I ended up doing a little jog in the parking lot to make sure not to get hit by idle fees, this supercharging is always crowded.

I usually never stay in the car when we supercharge, either I try to find a park with the kids for them to play or we go grab some food however I feel it's always a rush to go back to the car with small kids. We always end up with more SOC than we actually need.
OT, but for anyone driving through Albany, Crossgates Mall has 20 Superchargers and is never crowded. Colonie Center is slightly more convenient to the highway but only has 6 Superchargers and is frequently crowded. Crossgates might be worth the extra minute or two drive.

To make this slightly on topic, Tesla would sell a lot of cars here if they put a gallery in either mall. The closest Tesla store is 2 hours away. Hopefully when battery production increases and Austin is online we will see more effort to get the laws changed in New York to allow more stores. There is a lot of demand here, but people like to test drive before buying.

Dave Lee posted a new video just now.
He is proposing that Tesla Vision/FSD/robotaxis, all though extremely important in itself, is merely a harbinger of a much more revolutionary prospect, namely real world robots doing, in the limit, all tasks done by humans today:

@Mods:
I agree with Dave re. the revolutionary potential of this topic.
I find it increasingly likely that Tesla will, at some point in the future, start a robotics division. Since Tesla Robotics may ultimately, in a multi-decade time frame, eclipse the value and importance of both Tesla automotive, Tesla Energy and robotaxi business, and would therefore be very relevant for long-term HODL'ers, I took the liberty of posting this in the general thread.

Very interesting considering the size! Anyone have thoughts as to what’s being built across the highway/west side of 130?
The various Quad squad guys have suggested it's a new facility for SpaceX to build Starlink receiver equipment. The Austin facility for Starlink was announced in early March and its assiumed this is the location.