Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What do you think is being slowed down? Do you think that the TSLA FUD is causing other OEMs to slow down their EV transition?

Tesla is selling every vehicle they can make and they are expanding as fast as they can. So it doesn't seem that the FUD is slowing Tesla down to me.
Attacking Tesla the brand from a safety angle with fud from fires/braking/self driving erode demand from a time in the future when Tesla gets into multimillion production level. Since Tesla is the only company that can produce almost 50%of all evs by 2025, the slip in demand may be detrimental to the mission.

However Teslas execution can fight it well if they release the 25k car with true full self driving that has one disengagement after a few 10 thousand inner city miles. The Tesla will continue to sell more cars than they can make for this decade no matter the fud. The masses are more interested in FSD that can give them their free time back more than EVs.

This is just talking about organic demand free from government intervention. I know lots of people are not happy about EV bans because they think it's far from prime time today (people outside of this forum or subreddit). Fud in that case can affect legislation.

Not Tesla, but the mission. Most people, outside of Tesla owners and TMC members, think that EVs are EVs just as ICE cars are not that different from one another. So every negative article reinforces their belief that EVs aren't something to look at for a long time. If people thought that EVs were the thing to get, they would hold of on any ICE purchases and sales would plummet rather than the slow erosion we're seeing now.
As more people become EV owners, or know EV owners that will change.
As more fast charging stations are built, EV ranges increase, and prices drop, that will change.

Tesla will probably to get Berlin and Austin online by around the end of this year, we should see a fairly rapid ramp of Model Y production and a corresponding ramp in sales.

I still think there is a strong chance the race is run and done in the next 5 years, any carmaker who isn't making at least 2 Million EVs per year in 5 years time is, in a niche market, or out of the race.

And if Tesla is making 4-5 million EVs in 5 years time and 10 other carmakers are making 2 million, you can bet everyone in the race is running as fast as they can.

Why do you say the tax bill is dead? I can’t find any info other than it is moving to full senate vote soon.
Sorry, it doesn't deserve a link, but this is from the article.

1622770166745.png

On the softening demand front…

While driving back from New Hampshire today I got a call from a number I didn’t recognize. The only time I pick up is if it’s Las Vegas or Fremont. This time it was someone from Fremont who tried to talk me into converting my Plaid+ order to a Plaid. They said if I did I would be able to keep the $8k FSD price and be able to take delivery this month or next. I had heard about people getting these calls, today was my day. I’m based in NY so this isn’t a close to Fremont delivery efficiency thing. Personally I told him I’m going to wait to see how it drives as I love the handling of my 3 and hated the “old” S. If it’s closer to the 3, maybe. If not I’ll probably just wait for the Roadster.

Considering talk of Austin building 4680 Ys late this year I doubt Plaid+ will be middle 2020. IMHO they screwed this one up. I long said the price between Plaid and Plaid+ was way too close. If you’re crazy enough to think you need more than the base S then you’re crazy enough to go all the way for the superior tech and faster ride. First step is they raised the price $10k on the Plaid+, now they grayed it out so you can’t even order it. I could see them having strong demand for the base S but clearly they’re having an issue getting demand to meet supply on the Plaid. Hopefully once it launches that will change.

ps Will someone please tell me what Saywer Merrit leaked last weekend that pissed off the Tesla Twitter community? I was out putting 1000 miles on my 3 so I missed it. Thanks!

Last edited:
I agree, I personally think advertising and PR would help put foot on throat of competitions globally and exert pressure on governments to support the company in a way that aligns well.
Advertising is pointless at this point but a PR department fighting FUD with facts in a timely manner might be helpful.

On the softening demand front…

While driving back from New Hampshire today I got a call from a number I didn’t recognize. The only time I pick up is if it’s Las Vegas or Fremont. This time it was someone from Fremont who tried to talk me into converting my Plaid+ order to a Plaid. They said if I did I would be able to keep the $8k FSD price and be able to take delivery this month or next. I had heard about people getting these calls, today was my day. I’m based in NY so this isn’t a close to Fremont delivery efficiency thing. Personally I told him I’m going to wait to see how it drives as I love the handling of my 3 and hated the “old” S. If it’s closer to the 3, maybe. If not I’ll probably just wait for the Roadster.

Considering talk of Austin building 4680 Ys late this year I doubt Plaid+ will be middle 2020. IMHO they screwed this one up. I long said the price between Plaid and Plaid+ was way too close. If you’re crazy enough to think you need more than the base S then you’re crazy enough to go all the way for the superior tech and faster ride. First step is they raised the price $10k on the Plaid+, now they grayed it out so you can’t even order it. I could see them having strong demand for the base S but clearly they’re having an issue getting demand to meet supply on the Plaid. Hopefully once it launches that will change.

ps Will someone please tell me what Saywer Merrit leaked last weekend that pissed off the Tesla Twitter community? I was out putting 1000 miles on my 3 so I missed it. Thanks!

back when Sawyer was tweeting info from his sources at Tesla, he was told that the split in orders between LR, Plaid, and Plaid + was that it was a pretty even split. If I remember correctly, he said Plaid was the most ordered.

Advertising is pointless at this point but a PR department fighting FUD with facts in a timely manner might be helpful.
Yeah, I’m not a fan of real advertising for Tesla at this point… but if BP and Exxon can put commercials on tv that make people think they are environmental stewards, then surely we can deploy some dark arts magic to influence the masses :)