Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Performance Y is still “2-10 weeks”.

hmmm….I wonder if this indicates Fremont model Y production might be for exports to new international markets from July.

Well, Korea is already an established market, so this could be a continuation of that pattern, plus the current Canada/East Coast -> West Coast inter-quarter prioritization. Seems pretty clear Europe isn't getting Model Ys from Fremont at least.

1623282982264.png

Yeah Model 2 isn't going to be announced/shown anytime soon and odds are whenever it does, it'll be in China to cater/play towards appeasing the Chinese governments as a China-Made car.

Really to me the list of possible things is:

Probable - V11 OS, Plaid Range bump of like 50-75 miles, other small new features of the new S/X

Maybe - V9 FSD shown and demonstrated

Possible but not likely - Reveal that 4680 cells are in Plaid/new plaid range is 500 miles, Semi update, updated Cybertruck shown off.
Agree on small range bump likely.

Hope to see announced: higher max supercharging rate or at least less tapering of charge rate as SOC gets above 50%.

I can’t be the only one wondering why they are still storing all these new Model S. Couldn’t they already have sent them to service centers around the country for delivery after tomorrow’s event? What’s stopping them from already cleaning them and prepping them for delivery in Q2? There are just three weeks left. Call me confused.
Perhaps they're waiting for backordered Fahrvergnügen chips to come in?

Model S in CA being stored? They want to make sure they get as many as possible on the books for June. I bet East Coast will take a while.

Model Y for September? I bet they plan manufacturing based upon end of quarter cars being for US.

I also bet they can shift production resources to meet the numbers, thus legally cooking the books.

They already said they would cut back on spending if needed.

Reactions: FireMedic
Yeah Model 2 isn't going to be announced/shown anytime soon and odds are whenever it does, it'll be in China to cater/play towards appeasing the Chinese governments as a China-Made car.

Really to me the list of possible things is:

Probable - V11 OS, Plaid Range bump of like 50-75 miles, other small new features of the new S/X

Maybe - V9 FSD shown and demonstrated

Possible but not likely - Reveal that 4680 cells are in Plaid/new plaid range is 500 miles, Semi update, updated Cybertruck shown off.

Model 2 is the one car where I don't see any sense in a reveal well before production.
The ideal way to play it is a stealth like trial production with camouflaged debagged test cars driven discretely around China,,
In the reveal event say "we are making Model 2 now and you can order one (in China) online from tomorrow.

For outside of China, no official word on when Model 2 can be ordered, until orders are opened.,
They don't want to Osborne Model 3/Y not that it will make a big difference, but at the right price Model 2 will sell like hotcakes... no point in putting customers on long waiting lists.. try to sell them something than can be delivered in a few months.. not 18-24 months..

Model S in CA being stored? They want to make sure they get as many as possible on the books for June. I bet East Coast will take a while.

Model Y for September? I bet they plan manufacturing based upon end of quarter cars being for US.

I also bet they can shift production resources to meet the numbers, thus legally cooking the books.

They already said they would cut back on spending if needed.
Y is only being exported to South Korea right now, majority of it is for the US.

Model 2 is the one car where I don't see any sense in a reveal well before production.
The ideal way to play it is a stealth like trial production with camouflaged debagged test cars driven discretely around China,,
In the reveal event say "we are making Model 2 now and you can order one (in China) online from tomorrow.

For outside of China, no official word on when Model 2 can be ordered, until orders are opened.,
They don't want to Osborne Model 3/Y not that it will make a big difference, but at the right price Model 2 will sell like hotcakes... no point in putting customers on long waiting lists.. try to sell them something than can be delivered in a few months.. not 18-24 months..

Yup, they shouldn't say a single word about the Model 2 until its actually ready for mass production....not just pilot production...but actual mass production. They also need to time it with the 3/Y both getting range bumps to create a clear separation of range, acceleration, and pricing between the 2 and the 3/Y.

I actually really don’t see a reason to rush the model 2 out anytime until 2023. Tesla will have plenty of demand for 3/Y through 2022

Last edited:
Model S after refresh having higher margins. Does it say anything about the battery side?

This is Martin reiterating/emphasizing that new Model S will have significantly higher margins.

1623285295912.png

1623284822693.png

I started wondering what aspects with the new MS are enabling higher margins? Is significant part of higher margins on battery side?

I agree it doesn’t have to be on the battery side, going by MY having higher margins than M3 (and costing pretty much the same as M3?)
Any thoughts?

Edit: Add to this the aspect of 0-60 in <2s. There has to be weight and battery chemistry changes.

@Artful Dodger @The Accountant
@StealthP3D

Last edited:
NPR - 3 hours ago: Developer Abandons Keystone XL Pipeline Project, Ending Decade-Long Battle

Excerpt:

The company behind the controversial Keystone XL oil pipeline said Wednesday it's officially terminating the project. TC Energy already had suspended construction in January when President Biden revoked a key cross-border presidential permit. The announcement ends a more than decade-long battle that came to signify the debate over whether fossil fuels should be left in the ground to address climate change.

Tomorrow’s event will be just introduction of the plaid version of the model S. I don’t think there’s going to be something else, one more thing, or some other extra event. Bringing to market a production car with metrics presented in the plaid is it in itself an achievement. As it stands the performance measures are on par with some super cars. The only thing to really wonderIs it ordered right away how long will it take to get delivery, that is very important to understand from the investment perspective.

NPR - 3 hours ago: Developer Abandons Keystone XL Pipeline Project, Ending Decade-Long Battle

Excerpt:

The company behind the controversial Keystone XL oil pipeline said Wednesday it's officially terminating the project. TC Energy already had suspended construction in January when President Biden revoked a key cross-border presidential permit. The announcement ends a more than decade-long battle that came to signify the debate over whether fossil fuels should be left in the ground to address climate change.
I heard it as pipe them here or pipe them to China. Are they going to really leave them in the ground?

• Helpful
Reactions: ZsoZso
I know this video was posted here before but obviously many of you guys didn't watch it. It's a must watch from min 41 on!

TLDR: Speculation from the limited factor

1. 4680 reliability issues are to be expected as it's close to the final stage of finalizing the production line.
2. A summery of his expectations of how 4680s will be utilized in the next 2 years.
3. Raw material shortage will happen around 2025 which results in a decrease in cell production growth, however this is when Tesla will pivot to a 50kwh 25k car so car production will continue
4. By 2029, saturation of EVs/competition will cause Tesla's growth to slow, however this is when Tesla battery storage exponentially explodes.

Hmmmm plaid price increased by another $10k

Something tells me margin is gonna be absolutely insane on these.

Ok this gets more and more confusing/interesting by the hour. Now there's a massive price difference between LR and Plaid and sorry.....but there's no way to justify that price gap when you just get faster acceleration and you lose range. Not saying 4680 cell's are in the Plaid, but I gotta think the range is going to be near 500 now.