Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmmmm, I just checked my Plaid+ reservation on my Tesla account and I now have a MVOA for a Plaid… at the Plaid+ price. Confusing.
Same. But when I look on my laptop in this page format it appears as Plaid+.
Sarah's dad is named is Mark!

...I'd suggest hiding some of that info. TSLAQ is all over this place.

Screen Shot 2021-06-10 at 9.34.35 AM.png

Model S after refresh having higher margins. Does it say anything about the battery side?

This is Martin reiterating/emphasizing that new Model S will have significantly higher margins.

I started wondering what aspects with the new MS are enabling higher margins? Is significant part of higher margins on battery side?

There is a long list of factors.
There are three easy reasons:
1. Model S has had a large amount of Mercedes Benz suspension, switchgear, HVAC among other things. All of those were originally expensive and have become cheaper but many still are there.
2. The Model S design was made largely following Mercedes Benz design approaches, which are classically complex, with high parts counts and long assembly processes for parts provided by outside suppliers.

3. Then consider simply the difference between design approaches in 2020 vs 2009. Industrial design transformed during that decade due to improved CAD and CAM. Tesla has improved faster than has anyone else.

All the rest is details. I would be amazed were the GM's of the new S and X to be less than 35%. They will be much, much better and much, much cheaper.
This is all fairly clear. What is less clear is all the 'secret sauce'.

I think these should not be called 'refresh'. They are entirely new vehicles, built to preserve mostly similar appearance to the former ones.
In my opinion, a look at the interior alone makes it clear that this is a new vehicle. There is far too much difference to be compatible with a refresh.

As usual, these are my opinions. I am not presenting them as facts, although I do believe they are factual.

NPR - 3 hours ago: Developer Abandons Keystone XL Pipeline Project, Ending Decade-Long Battle

Excerpt:

The company behind the controversial Keystone XL oil pipeline said Wednesday it's officially terminating the project. TC Energy already had suspended construction in January when President Biden revoked a key cross-border presidential permit. The announcement ends a more than decade-long battle that came to signify the debate over whether fossil fuels should be left in the ground to address climate change.

Despite the mothballed project costing Canadian taxpayers like me, @Artful Dodger, and other Cdn TMC members billions of dollars (we're 10x smaller than US, so think relatively of 10s of billions of US$), I'm in favour of this cancellation for the primary reason everyone else on this forum is - NO MORE FOSSIL FUEL PROJECTS.

Last edited:
I think robotaxi impact on society dwarfs ice->EV impact (that really is just replacing a car with a slightly nicer car).

To me, the big improvement in society going from ICE to EV is that we can breathe clean air. Unless you are on a highway that is empty, you are breathing the toxic exhaust of all the cars in front of you. This is one major reason why a driver feels fatigued after being on the freeway for an extended period of time. It also impacts people in cities who never get in a car. It's not just fatigue, people actually get diseases and die from breathing toxic exhaust fumes. We all grew up around cars so it seems normal and harmless but it is far from it.

Of course, the longer-term benefit is probably even greater, that of slowing global warming and the associated sea level rise. This is a problem for us now but the real problem is one we are leaving to future generations. So, no, it's not simply replacing a car with a "slightly nicer" car. It's a huge fundamental improvement in the quality of the lives of every human in existence (including those not born yet).

• Informative
Reactions: FireMedic
Your sig says you ordered the Plaid+ in September 2020 -- how did you manage to order it 4 months before it was announced or revealed or available in the configurator?

Same as me. Ordered "Plaid" when they unveiled it at Battery Day. Once they did the refresh they converted those orders to Plaid+.

This can’t hurt:

“Group of Seven leaders are discussing ambitious plans to shift the balance of car buying away from gasoline to greener vehicles by the end of the decade, as part of a package of measures to combat climate change.

Under one proposal contained in a document seen by Bloomberg, G-7 governments would “strive” to ensure that the majority of all new passenger car sales are not petrol or diesel-powered “by 2030 or sooner.” Countries are divided on how specific the measures should be.”

R.I.P. BMW.

I'm sure by the late 2020s when BMW wants to get into the scene with solid state batteries there are going to leapfrog everyone and win back all their market share they lost over the last decade :rolleyes: /s

At the very least they need to figure out their timelines. The BMW guy rightly says that it could take up to a decade to go from a working prototype solid state battery to a factory producing millions of cells. AFAIK, we still do not see a solid state battery at 100% proof of concept which you can then begin to work into volume production.

Then he claims by the late 20s (7-8 years?) there will be making large scale production of the SSB that does not exist yet which will allow them to leapfrog the competition. This is definitely a dangerous position to take.

It seems that the gap between the ‘traditional’ Li Ion batteries and the SSB projections has been steadily closing. The batteries made now will continue to improve in performance and to decline in price. Even if BMW succeeds in leapfrogging the dominant batteries at some point, how far behind will their costs be in comparison? How much better will the SSBs be at that time? Most importantly, what kind of volume BEVs will BMW be producing and selling?

I would agree that BMW is not thinking straight . OTOH, Germany would probably never allow them to go bankrupt, and that may well be what is at play here. Risk it all, but no worries if you fail.

CPI is so skewed right now. Last year my niece still travelled occasionally. She was on near empty flights flying back and forth from San Francisco to Chicago and San Francisco to Dallas. She was paying under $100 each way. It was crazy cheap. My son started a position with Americorp in Juneau last July and airfare was under $400. My wife visited in September for $500. My youngest son and I visiting in July and we paid about $1000 for each ticket. Stuff like airfare was being almost given away in 2020. Really should be comparing prices with 2019 not 2020.

There were a few likes for this nonsense, I was saddened to see. I do not wish to be rude, but the linked post was largely wrong.

All over the world buyers choose between various sizes, types and features of vehicles they buy. Some places, like India and China, have most sales of very small cars. Some places, like the US and Canada, trend towards giant pickups and SUVs. Globally people tend to gravitate towards the size and configuration they prefer, with moderate movement from one size to another. There is copious documentation, including relative market sizes for different types in many sources. By subscription there is Mark Lines and Automotive News among others.

The term Osbourning is specific. It refers to a better technology destroying an inferior one. That has exactly zero to do with different size and configuration of vehicles.

For those who think the various size and configurations of Tesla models are mutually exclusive with one driving out another I have a bit of relevant information:
First, Tesla production technology is rapidly developing to allow such things as Gigapresses, robots and factory technology to apply to the entire model line.
Second, Depending on the model somewhere between 10% and 25% of parts are used in common.
Third, battery technology and cell design, chemistry and pack design are being shared among all models, obviously with gradual evolution as new models adopt new approaches that are later applied to other models.
Fourth, almost all corporate structure is saved among all models. That specifically includes software, firmware and everything else donjon a corporate-wide basis.

As the model range broadens all models gain better visibility and efficiencies in distribution and Word of Mouth will be enhanced.

With all that said it is very possible to overdo this synergy end end out doing what is called 'badge engineering' ever popular and self-destructive that is. Thus we have Jeep and Fiat models that are indistinguishable, we once had Chevrolet, Pontiac, Oldsmobile etc and even now have Chevrolet and GMC with almost identical vehicles. All over the world those are common and end out poorly. Tesla does not do that and surely will never do that.

Tesla has produced drivetrains for Mercedes Benz and Toyota models. They very well might do that again, and may even license and/or provide other products and services to other manufacturers. What they will surely never do si badge engineering.

So, in conclusion. Tesla will gradually broaden the automotive and energy product lines. As they do they will expand the market for Tesla products just as has happened with the existing products. Probably the chief reason people misunderstand how positive this all is related to individual buying processes. Individuals will cross-shop between vehicle classes and features. I do too, and already have gone from an S to a 3 and now back to an S. A very few people, like me, actually move upland down the vehicle classes. That confuses observers because they generalize from the specific case they see. In my case I am acutely aware that I am an outlier in nearly everything, so I'll never try to generalize from my own behavior. To do so would be ridiculous.

In nearly all market segments everywhere buyers tend to display quite consistent behavior, generally one of two patterns:
First, in much of the world buyers tend to have first vehicles (i.e. entry level) small and cheap, and change purchasing behavior as their lives progress.
Second, in much of the world urban density makes vehicles purchases tend towards small vehicles, with fairly consistent size preferences over lifetime.
Those two broad groupings have endless permutations...

There are 'pocket rockets'. These are small but some are astoundingly expensive and well equipped. (I have had a few of those). Thinking forward there years or so. The Model 2 Performance will NOT be cheap. 'pocket rockets' tend to have Gross Margins that match the highest spec vehicles. For reference just compare a BMW 1 Series New Zealand price today: The cheapest is NZ$49,900 the top is NZ$88,900. Just try to buy the top one without options, that will not be easy.

When thinking that smaller and cheaper actually go together just think about the previous paragraph. For some promotional purposes the lowest price is used, even though the cheapest model is much less common. Typically the Gross Margin for the 'top of the line' is more than 100% of the bottom, since the bottom often does not actually make money. Why offer the bottom, then? Because the Gross margin is 'fully absorbed'. The low end does make significant scale contribution so allowing the entire line to have more profit.

Tesla has done that from the beginning, so many buyers rush out to buy Performance versions and then purchase add-ons such as Ludicrous (I did that too). Were we to examine Tesla profitability in model specifics we'd find that SR versions and RWD versions probably have very low to negatives Gross Margins. We'd also find that Performance disproportionately buys FSD also, plus expensive colors and interiors. That applies today to Models SX3Y and has done so always.

Model 2 and whatever else comes along will always do that. Why are so many of us, like me, shelling out ridiculous amounts of money for the new Model S Plaid? Will we stop? No, we'll also buy a Model 2 mini-Plaid, as will many people.

Never, ever, apply the term Osbourning to any company that innovates every day! If you still think it might apply I suggest you drive a 2018 Model 3 and then drive a new 2021, perferably back to back, even better make them both Performance. Tesla continuing innovation will make every one fo the expanding product line a promotional device for all Tesla models. Just compare build quality, audio, games, sound levels.

We all should do all we can to help Tesla expand the product line so they'll be able to serve most vehicle markets worldwide. The surface is just barely scratched today.

No batteries.

Adding in any trims or models is a zero sum game. You would be selling the same battery in a less expensive chassis.

Despite the mothballed project costing Canadian taxpayers like me, @Artful Dodger, and other Cdn TMC members billions of dollars (we're 10x smaller than US, so think relatively of 10s of billions of US$), I'm in favour of this cancellation for the primary reason everyone else on this forum is - NO MORE FOSSIL FUEL PROJECTS.

I see it differently. Our government just SAVED Canadians billions of dollars. Keystone XL was a folly from the get go.

Last edited:
At the very least they need to figure out their timelines. The BMW guy rightly says that it could take up to a decade to go from a working prototype solid state battery to a factory producing millions of cells. AFAIK, we still do not see a solid state battery at 100% proof of concept which you can then begin to work into volume production.

Then he claims by the late 20s (7-8 years?) there will be making large scale production of the SSB that does not exist yet which will allow them to leapfrog the competition. This is definitely a dangerous position to take.

It seems that the gap between the ‘traditional’ Li Ion batteries and the SSB projections has been steadily closing. The batteries made now will continue to improve in performance and to decline in price. Even if BMW succeeds in leapfrogging the dominant batteries at some point, how far behind will their costs be in comparison? How much better will the SSBs be at that time? Most importantly, what kind of volume BEVs will BMW be producing and selling?

I would agree that BMW is not thinking straight . OTOH, Germany would probably never allow them to go bankrupt, and that may well be what is at play here. Risk it all, but no worries if you fail.
And of course Tesla, with its history of being static isn't going to do anything disruptive in the next decade so BMW will have an easy time of this. Assuming BMW isn't bankwupt before the magic BMW batteries reach production. Even Germany can only socialize corporate stupidity so much.