Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since the event starts at 8:30pm I won’t be flying tonight.

but I did fly this morning.

5FD7CB94-280E-4C1F-8A58-AFD7C75547D1.png

Also note the test drive waiver sent out today to participants! Expecting a good show tonight!

My video will be public in a couple hours max.

Since the event starts at 8:30pm I won’t be flying tonight.

but I did fly this morning.

View attachment 671605

Also note the test drive waiver sent out today to participants! Expecting a good show tonight!

My video will be public in a couple hours max.

Just curious - were you able to get any closer footage of the shrouded vehicles? I'd swear the smaller shroud looks like it's covering a not-fully-assembled vehicle.

There is a long list of factors.
There are three easy reasons:
1. Model S has had a large amount of Mercedes Benz suspension, switchgear, HVAC among other things. All of those were originally expensive and have become cheaper but many still are there.
2. The Model S design was made largely following Mercedes Benz design approaches, which are classically complex, with high parts counts and long assembly processes for parts provided by outside suppliers.

3. Then consider simply the difference between design approaches in 2020 vs 2009. Industrial design transformed during that decade due to improved CAD and CAM. Tesla has improved faster than has anyone else.

All the rest is details. I would be amazed were the GM's of the new S and X to be less than 35%. They will be much, much better and much, much cheaper.
This is all fairly clear. What is less clear is all the 'secret sauce'.

I think these should not be called 'refresh'. They are entirely new vehicles, built to preserve mostly similar appearance to the former ones.
In my opinion, a look at the interior alone makes it clear that this is a new vehicle. There is far too much difference to be compatible with a refresh.

As usual, these are my opinions. I am not presenting them as facts, although I do believe they are factual.
Agreed on most parts - but why, if this is all new engineered, do they keep the old sheet styling and outdated parts - the lights are dated, especially the rear and the chargeport door is too small as we have seen with punchholes for charge ports in the Chinese models

Looking for a credible source that the crude will stay in the ground vs. shipped to other countries.
Tar sands oil is expensive to extract and has a high sulfur content. Depending upon the price of oil, adding the shipping cost can make it uneconomical to ship. There's no guarantee that it will stay in the ground, but there's also no guarantee that it will be extracted either.

To me, the big improvement in society going from ICE to EV is that we can breathe clean air. Unless you are on a highway that is empty, you are breathing the toxic exhaust of all the cars in front of you. This is one major reason why a driver feels fatigued after being on the freeway for an extended period of time. It also impacts people in cities who never get in a car. It's not just fatigue, people actually get diseases and die from breathing toxic exhaust fumes. We all grew up around cars so it seems normal and harmless but it is far from it.

Of course, the longer-term benefit is probably even greater, that of slowing global warming and the associated sea level rise. This is a problem for us now but the real problem is one we are leaving to future generations. So, no, it's not simply replacing a car with a "slightly nicer" car. It's a huge fundamental improvement in the quality of the lives of every human in existence (including those not born yet).

I hope there is a thread for this kind of discussion, but here is my (another) issue - We have to also focus on replacing ICE tools and devices for suburb gardening use. All of those stinky lawn mowers are horrible. Loud and produce humongous amounts of air and noise polution. Yet, most folks seem not to notice.

I bet that a large suburb with tons of ICE mowing engines produces as much toxic pollution as a small car fleet. It really needs to stop too. If there is a thread to discuss, please move and let me know.

"Besides producing greenhouse gases, mowing our lawns produces other types of pollution. The EPA estimates that hour-for-hour, gasoline powered lawn mowers produce 11 times as much pollution as a new car. According to the EPA, each gas-powered lawn mower produces as much air pollution as 43 new automobiles driven 12,000 per year – lawn care produces 13 billion pounds of toxic pollutants per year."

Source: Grass Lawns are an Ecological Catastrophe – ONE Only Natural Energy

MOD:
~~~Any number of threads for this elsewhere on TMC, and have been for many, many years. Not here, please.~~~

Agreed on most parts - but why, if this is all new engineered, do they keep the old sheet styling and outdated parts - the lights are dated, especially the rear and the chargeport door is too small as we have seen with punchholes for charge ports in the Chinese models

Elon knows that "outdated" styling is a concept invented to sell you a new car. He doesn't believe in the concept and neither do I.

Maybe in 5-10 years when he will consider it if it will further the mission at that time.

Well, whatever happens today we can be pretty sure that tomorrow we will be down. I'm positive the media will spin the + as a problem with 4680 ramping, assuming they aren't in the cars which I doubt at this point. We will need a few weeks for people to realize how popular the Plaid will be.

FWIW I was contacted by Tesla to convert my Plaid + order to plaid. They said delivery "as soon as June".