Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This (i.e. taking the environmental concerns of your voters seriously) is why Europe is pulling further and further ahead in EV adoption.

Since my wife is Dutch, we spend a fair amount of time in Europe. I always return home, surprised at the amount of renewable energy installed throughout Europe. The Europeans are doing a great job.

Interesting. I agree with all of that directionally. BMW is clearly Tesla's most direct assault in terms of product positioning, but I had been thinking BMW was starting from a relatively high point of strength (75B market cap ain't bad). Stellantis (lol name) seems like a good victim. It's perhaps too hand-wavy but market cap / revenue seems like a good first pass guess (although given AMC/GME and frankly TSLA I don't much respect the market's er... efficiency any more). The domestic subsidy is likely to be a huge boost to American brands.

That's fair. I'll snoop around. The motivation to use this thread is of course obvious -- the higher engagement. I'm gonna specifically target looking into this and maybe then write up ideas somewhere else. I agree the lesser brands in Japan look extremely problematic. I expect Toyota/Honda to start late and do fine since they are well managed companies that have just screwed this up. Reminds me of how Disney sat on their thumbs so long in streaming but still made a powerful move because of just how powerful a company it is.
Ha ha. Don't count Stellantis out according to this article: Dodge's quickest-ever muscle car will allegedly be electric

"Assuming engineers pull it off, Dodge's hot-rodded EV could be even quicker than the Tesla Model S Plaid and its claimed 1.91-second sprint."

Plaid causes everyone want to blow off steam 🤣

Here is the link to original pdf:
问题 3:近期市场上关于 A 公司的负面新闻较多,公司订单情况如何?
回答:公司严格遵守客户的保密要求,不便透露,请大家理解 。我要说的是, 在与客户的合作过程中,我们深刻体会到 A 公司做的所有事情都是正确的,包 括产品定位、研发、制造、供应商管理、质量、营销等都是非常正确的,其他车 企至少有 5 年的差距,中午刚看到 A 公司 5 月份欧洲销量增长 240%,北美也大 幅增长。一个新物种的产生、成长,会出现这样那样的问题,也是短暂的。我们 不能只看表象,我们非常乐观,当前订单正常。
Now you can Google translate it, ok?
Alright let me do that:
Q: A Corp is in China, how’s the order?
A: No, A Corp did everything right, they have at least 5 years lead. These “problems” are temporary, orders are normal.

Above is the official release, but I found a few other unofficial meeting minutes floating around, which are far more interesting, for example this one:
  • Heat management solution(Octovalve) starts to deliver to Tesla in Jan 2021, 500k units for 2021, San hua is the only other heat solution supplier.
  • Tesla 2nd GF in China is almost done deal, now picking among three possible locations, likely would be XiongAn(in HeBei province).(TuoPu build new factories close to customers to supply them, so they probably has heads up of next factory plans)
  • Parts orders for CyberTruck already started.
Can’t believe Tesla suppliers are spilling beans just like that and we don’t even know…

Last edited:
The other thing is that I doubt Tesla has much interest in expanding production rate over the ~100k they currently invested into, and if demand happened to exceed that I think they'd just bump prices. If they expected higher volume such that it would push for more investment on battery production then they would have incrementally more motivation to use other formats. S/X are likely ~7% of unit volume going forward into 2022 and in perpetual slow decline from there. There's not a heck of a lot of motivation to spend engineering resources on it and they seem to be engineering constrained.

Even though S/X is highly profitable per unit, they are not the future growth and also the value of a flagship is satisfied at any of these volumes.
While I agree that S/X aren't the future for substantial growth, my understanding was that the 90k-100k cap in production previously was due to the limited production capacity of the 18650 cells. IF the new pack has transitioned to a new cell format (an uncertain assumption at the moment) then what is the next limiting factor in capacity?

Potentially they could increase production above 100k p.a. if they saw sufficient demand at that rate with relatively minor capex and supply chain upgrades. Even another 20k to 30k in production per year with the fat margins S/X command would result in appreciable margin and profitability improvements at the company level.

I am expecting wonderful results from Tesla either way next year as mature 3/Y production in Fremont/Shanghai cover the ramp of Berlin/Austin, but why leave money on the table if there is room to squeeze more out of the existing production lines.

Potential FUD alert:
A Chinese social media account tested Tesla model Y battery cell against Chinese mandatory battery cell national standard, and it failed heating test.

Not sure whether it will gain traction or not, so not putting link here.

But I want to point out they used brute force to extract those cells out of a Model Y battery module. Since it’s glued firmly in there, very likely the cells were already damaged before their “testing”. Which makes this a nothing burger.

Last edited:
Potential FUD alert:
A Chinese social media account tested Tesla model Y battery cell against Chinese mandatory battery cell national standard, and it failed heating test.

Not sure whether it will gain traction or not, so not putting link here.

But I want to point out they used brute force to extract those cells out of a Model Y battery module. Since it’s glued firmly in there, very likely the cells were already damaged before their “testing”. Which makes this a nothing burger.
You do Thermal Test’s lots of them to get certified and to say they failed is just stupid. You can’t put them in cars in the 1st place without them. True FUD

@ wicket good question but maybe which legacy automaker goes belly up first is a new thread? I'd say Peugeot sort of did that already with the FCA merger. I can't see bmw going completely tits up they will get merged with MB. So my best guess is a Japanese maker. FCA will be supported by Italy and France. Germany will support VW and MB and Japan is left with far too many legacy companies, Nissan, Toyota, Honda, Mitsu, Subaru and on and on. They could all but Toyota and Honda.
JLR (Jaguar Land Rover)

My guess is BMW.
Ford and GM lives on truck revenue -- not yet cannibalized by Tesla (CT needs to be released and production scaled up a LOT).
VW, Toyota, Honda sell large volume of small, cheap cars , i.e. market where Tesla is not competing.
Daimler has a very wide range of markets, including commercial vehicles and high-end luxury.
But the entire lineup of BMW is threatened by some Tesla car already on the market.
BMW has a far greater array of models than does Tesla, from 1 series and Mini to Rolls Royce, plus a wide variety of variants in ever category. It is always wise to notice what reality is for competitors. Even GM is formidable in small vehicles in some markets, often with GM Korea (née Daewoo) designs. Not only is GM a leader in China and Brazil, but has #1 models there. Tesla has zero models in any of those categories, including the China-only huge selling BEV’s.

VW, Toyota and Honda have huge volume very profitable luxury models for which Tesla presently is not competing. By far the most profitable models of each are high end Trucks, vans and other categories in which Tesla is not competing.

Ford has the exceedingly profitable Transit class with zero Tesla competition and BEV versions beginning to be material.

Competitors are obviously concerned about Tesla. We need not trivialize them by pretending they have no chance of survival, nor by ignoring their strengths.

@ wicket good question but maybe which legacy automaker goes belly up first is a new thread? I'd say Peugeot sort of did that already with the FCA merger. I can't see bmw going completely tits up they will get merged with MB. So my best guess is a Japanese maker. FCA will be supported by Italy and France. Germany will support VW and MB and Japan is left with far too many legacy companies, Nissan, Toyota, Honda, Mitsu, Subaru and on and on. They could all but Toyota and Honda.
The merger of PSA and FCA was in part joining if two powerful industrial families and partly the continuing expansion of Carlos Tavares power. This is far more than it seems to be when viewed from a narrow perspective. People keep ignoring what advantages all these marker have. We are being far to narrowly Tesla-centric.

We may be a small market, but some good news from down here in New Zealand. Today the government announced a new EV credit equivalent to $6000 US dollars that comes into effect on July 1st. (It’s fully paid for by imposition of a new tax on high polluting ICE vehicles). The price cap is at a level that means the Model 3SR+ qualifies (Cap is equivalent of $58,000 USD).

The merger of PSA and FCA was in part joining if two powerful industrial families and partly the continuing expansion of Carlos Tavares power. This is far more than it seems to be when viewed from a narrow perspective. People keep ignoring what advantages all these marker have. We are being far to narrowly Tesla-centric.

Perhaps but that doesn’t tickle my sense on why I should believe they have a position to work with. Of course behind any discussion made here in a few sentences we all have a background intuition that differs about just how catastrophic the ICE market could become as it becomes evident that buying an ICE is very short sighted and the used market flushes with cars dumped especially to claim new EV subsidies and that propagates upstream to new sales. I haven’t done concrete work on Stellantis yet. Just relaying my current expectations. I can;t even name their best selling EV off the top of my head.

Reactions: ChefBoyardee
Indeed it was an interesting merger; none the less PSA was in serious serious trouble. It was merge or fail so why I put that forward. The reality is that no legacy auto maker has actually "failed" as in shut doors and stop work. JLR came close...maybe they will. Volvo found a buyer in China. Chrysler in FCA

There is really no good reason to have so many Japanese auto makers, when real failures start this will receive quite a lot of national attention. Japan has been blowing it on the renewables front as well, they should have huge solar and wind penetration and battery storage and could have led the world. Oh well.

What are you talking about? They sold 2,231 Ipace in q1. Jaguar I-PACE Sales In Q1 2021: Down Again

I’m thinking uPace is maybe the new motto.
JLR is imho the weakest of the major OECD manufacturers. Sales revenue tends to put it down at about #15 and falling (Automotive Industry 2019 | Brand Value Ranking League Table | Brandirectory). The model line up is an absolute disaster, meaning that the product development roadmap is an expensive mess, and the production facilities likewise.

The Jaguar iPace is actually made by Magna Steyr (News Release - First-Ever All-Electric Jaguar Unveiled at Magna) and my suspicion is that it is loss-making for JLR. The iPace is struggling to be competitive in the BEV market and in my opinion release of the Y in Europe when Tesla Berlin starts production will prove fatal for the iPace. By the way losses are not an unusual feature at JLR (Jaguar's updated I-Pace has a beefed up charging system).

Tata of course own JLR. One wonders how deep their pockets will be. JLR has been sold many times before, and each time a goodly chunk of UK taxpayer money seems to be required to prevent it being completely shuttered. There are other UK-specific factors that are of course in play.

As an anecdote a newish iPace is for (re)sale on my local Peugot forecourt. Buyers remorse got so bad that they were even prepared to switch from a Jaguar to a Peugot. Not a good sign for JLR.

The mission is to accelerate clean energy and transport.
I can see Tesla selling 20 million vechicles per year regardless.
The rest of the industry will sort themselves out, which will probably means more mergers and alliances.
I don't think selling vechicles in a segment Tesla hasn't yet tapped is a moat.
But a some stage, national interest will intervene to help prop up local carmakers.
Brands often survive even when they are little more than a badge.