Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
433CE99A-A257-4CE0-A616-A47072A9AD0C.jpeg

I took delivery of a Model S Plaid today. The staff was lined up outside waiting for me to arrive. First in New Jersey. They’re delivering eight more tomorrow. Bullish. Buy more shares. More on this later.

I think this is the same ship heading to NZ as well, there were cars that popped up as “in transit“ inventory for NZ last week, which is weird to see timing wise a bunch of cars due to arrive in the first month of a quarter. Either the ship got delayed significantly (perhaps possible due to China’s current covid-lockdown related port chaos), or Tesla is starting to unwind wave deliveries a little, or as rumored demand was a little soft in China so might as well export more.
I am wondering if we are seeing some unwinding of the wave, at least out of China.

Reactions: ABCTG
Wouldn't the ROI of buying and holding a leap be way, way better than only 50% (assuming you carefully roll it well before of expiration as needed, @stealthyc )?

Your example gives no hint of overall ROI (including the time-factor) relative to holding shares or leaps. Some posters tend to spackle over their losses or fail to compare different strategies honestly, which can require much meticulous effort to do honestly and rigorously.
Maybe I didn't explain it well (and I miss typed - $110/share is $110,00/ covered call). I sell the CC and don't plan to buy them back. However, if the stock drops like it did the last two months, then you can buy it back for 50-70% less than what you sold it for. This allows you to wait for the stock to recover, and then sell the same covered call again. This is extra free money on top of what you thought you made when you originally sold the CC. But to really profit, you need to wait until the SP is high and IV is high.

I still don’t understand how you get a subscription if you don’t have HW 3. Limits the audience to those that have bought in the last year.
There only 3 limitations:
1) You must have purchased the FSD option.*
2) Your car needs a minimum of HW 2.5 (extra cameras not present on HW 2). Our Sept ordered, Nov build and delivered 2017 "S" came with HW 2.5
3) MCU2 is required and, at least when HW 3 first became available, it was an out of pocket expense if your car didn't come with MCU2 (Jan 2018 builds?)

The HW3 upgrade was free** I went in to have the HEPA filter replaced and Arachnids installed at the SvC and the service dept rep said "oh, by the way we'll install your FSD computer while your car is here."

*We'll have to see how Tesla handles the HW 2.5 owners that want an FSD subscription (not purchase) since as you mention HW 3 is required. Possibly require a minimum length of the subscription?

**The cost was bundled into the FSD purchase. Though to be fair, I believe that originally HW 2.5 was thought to be sufficient to handle FSD. However, the 2 GPU's couldn't handle the demands and Telsa built the HW 3 computer from scratch and ate the cost of the HW 3 computer and installation.

Last edited:
One way I can see it work mathematically is this: the longer you've held on to 1 share, the more of a "credit" you'll get. Say the cut off limit is 5 years, if you just bought the share 6 months ago, you'd only get 0.1 credit and the former holder gets 0.9. 1 full credit earns you the right to buy a Starlink share at a discounted/predetermined price.
Sounds About Right. Been A Shareholder Since 04/27/15. I Buy On The Dips.

Calipers looks painted gloss black to me in person.
Brembo makes a lot of brake calipers that are hard black anodized and it can look similar to a black paint. I haven't seen the Plaid brakes so I can't say but, in general, it's easier to make a more durable high heat finish in black whether it's paint or anodizing. Red anodizing is softer and less durable and the highest temp paints are always black. Black is better at radiating heat also.

This affects Tesla energy. Earlier, I had referred folks from here over to another thread on TMC about the utilities working and having successes at putting nails in the coffin of net metering and adding huge hook up fees. We have had some bad news in California as of yesterday where the CPUC has voted to devalue rooftop solar's benefit to the grid. Many of you have been active to help work on this nightmare. Please check the thread out again and see today's posts about yesterday's solar nightmare: California Utilities Plan All Out War On Solar, Please Read And Help

Also, here is a report on who the evil doers are that are making headway on killing your rooftop solar: Blocking Rooftop Solar

TV anchor critiques producer for placing silly unimportant Tesla story on teleprompter. :D

CNBC - this morning:

Refreshing to see that a CNBS anchor actually 'questioned' a FUD @tesla headline....Too bad Joe did his best to change the narrative real quick and had nothing subjective to say about it.

Refreshing to see that a CNBS anchor actually 'questioned' a FUD @tesla headline....Too bad Joe did his best to change the narrative real quick and had nothing subjective to say about it.
Joe has been out of his realm of knowledge/capability for several decades now. Is he somebody's brother or uncle, or in-law? I don't get it. I've have never heard him finish any sentence he has ever started. His backtracking on his Tesla Derangement Syndrome over the years is laughable and unforgivable. He has never had anything to contribute.

There only 3 limitations:
1) You must have purchased the FSD option.*
2) Your car needs a minimum of HW 2.5 (extra cameras not present on HW 2). Our Sept ordered, Nov build and delivered 2017 "S" came with HW 2.5

...what?

All Teslas since HW2 come with the same 8 external cameras.

The only camera difference between 2 and 2.5 is a different color filter on the cameras.

3) MCU2 is required and, at least when HW 3 first became available, it was an out of pocket expense if your car didn't come with MCU2 (Jan 2018 builds?)

MCU2 is still a paid upgrade for S/X (3/Y never came with MCU1)- but it's not required for HW3.

Tesla said:
Tesla cars with Full Self-Driving Capability and Autopilot Computer 2.0 or 2.5 are eligible for a complimentary upgrade to the FSD Computer.

This remains true no matter which MCU your S/X have.

• Informative
Reactions: Paul_SF
TV anchor critiques producer for placing silly unimportant Tesla story on teleprompter. :D

CNBC - this morning:

Do you not read this thread? That was posted already "14 hours ago" as you like to say.

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/5657928/

We are reaching a level of FUD, where it is just too much even for CNBC anchors. If I'm not careful I'll start liking her...
PS: never mind the second part of the segment, that guy, once again, acts like a drunk uncle at the dinner table who starts talking incoherently about things unrelated to the conversation, but everyone remains polite.

Joe has been out of his realm of knowledge/capability for several decades now. Is he somebody's brother or uncle, or in-law? I don't get it. I've have never heard him finish any sentence he has ever started. His backtracking on his Tesla Derangement Syndrome over the years is laughable and unforgivable. He has never had anything to contribute.
Ill give him this though...He did tell Gordo that 'If he weren't an analyst and ran a hedge fund...you'd be broke so long ago" :D :D :D :D