Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh man... Sandy and team did a great job of showing just how incredible of a job Tesla HVAC team did for the model Y:

Wow. Worth watching all 12 minutes for sure. This is the perfect rebuttal to “the competition is coming”

My favorite quote is said in front of the pile of parts:

This is the second best product that we’ve looked at.”

“This is better than everything else we’ve seen (apart from Tesla)

24AFC7FA-36CF-48B3-87F2-EC70D5E57752.jpeg

vs Tesla

Chino Hills - Google Maps.png

So, to “mansplain” the chart to non-chart readers…. :D

Production of a Tesla Model 3 & it’s battery pack results in approximately 50% greater CO2 production than a Toyota Corolla, initially, as they roll off the assembly line. If the Tesla is charged using renewable energy, it becomes a cleaner proposition within 6 months. If the Tesla is charged by the average US power grid mix, it becomes a cleaner proposition within 12 months. If the Tesla is charged by 100% coal-based energy, it becomes a cleaner proposition within 5.3 years. So, after 13 years, the Tesla is either 800%, 200%, or 7% cleaner than the Corolla.

Also, as the US grid gets cleaner, that 200% increases towards the 800%…
BTW- How would one find 100% coal-based electricity in the US?
I believe West Virginia is over 90% (maybe over 95%). Coal is mostly dead or dying everywhere else.

Lately this thread has gone from bad to worse. Too many people auditioning as stand-up comedian, with jokes about powerball numbers, chairs (the wooden version), wives, bananas and what have you not. It drowns out the high quality posts. There’s no prize for the funniest post, just a place in Off topic galore. Please do everyone a favor and only post something if it adds value. If not, bite your tongue.

Given all these price rises, and the steady demand, even in Q2 results are pretty good, Q3 financials are going to be hilarious.
I'm not holding out much hope for the market to really see whats coming in Q2. I think the first cars have to roll off the lines at Texas and Berlin before the general market understands whats going on.
Obviously by then, its kinda too late for legacy auto to catch up. What we are all waiting for is for wall street to catch up with the fact that legacy auto cannot catch up, so we are two steps removed from a rational evaluation of both Tesla stock, AND the value of all other auto stock (which is likely a tenth to a quarter their current value).
I look forward to the earnings call, and staring at the charts the day after earnings, but I don't think we will see any fun stock price action until Q3 or Q4.
It will help that we will have the dismal sales figures of the mach-E to compare to by then*

*not specifically saying its a bad car per-se, its an EV, but ford dont seem that keen to even make many of them if they could.

What are you basing your implied Tesla connectivity cost of <$1/ month per car on?
I was just guessing to be honest. As has been pointed out, I have likely overestimated margins, but I still think (as another poster mentioned) that Tesla probably buys its data in bulk at a huge discount. So I would still think the margins will be pretty positive and again likely increasing as the amount of bulk data they buy increases over time with an enlarging fleet.

"in Q2 2021 Tesla sold 1,500 Model 3s in Switzerland, which is significantly higher than the sales of any other electric vehicle in the country. In second place is Volkswagen ID.3 with 843 registrations. Its younger sibling ID.4 took third place with 468 sales. Fiat 500E is in fourth place with 422 units. Renault Zoe closes out the top 5 with 411 registered cars."

So, to “mansplain” the chart to non-chart readers…. :D

Production of a Tesla Model 3 & it’s battery pack results in approximately 50% greater CO2 production than a Toyota Corolla, initially, as they roll off the assembly line. If the Tesla is charged using renewable energy, it becomes a cleaner proposition within 6 months. If the Tesla is charged by the average US power grid mix, it becomes a cleaner proposition within 12 months. If the Tesla is charged by 100% coal-based energy, it becomes a cleaner proposition within 5.3 years. So, after 13 years, the Tesla is either 800%, 200%, or 7% cleaner than the Corolla.

Also, as the US grid gets cleaner, that 200% increases towards the 800%…
BTW- How would one find 100% coal-based electricity in the US?
Would have been better to plot it vs miles instead of years. It looks like they assume ~15,000 mi/yr.

Reactions: hobbes
Oh man... Sandy and team did a great job of showing just how incredible of a job Tesla HVAC team did for the model Y:

That is a great video! Just the visuals alone bring home the message. 2 things that would also be interesting would be comparisons of the Model Y HVAC system with the earlier versions used by Tesla in the first Model S's and 3's and a discussion of how the new Model Y system might work in a conventional ICE vehicle... other than the change in the type of coolant used, there has not been a change of anything substantial in cars for 70 years or more. Just the use of a heat pump seems like a no brainer to me.

"in Q2 2021 Tesla sold 1,500 Model 3s in Switzerland, which is significantly higher than the sales of any other electric vehicle in the country. In second place is Volkswagen ID.3 with 843 registrations. Its younger sibling ID.4 took third place with 468 sales. Fiat 500E is in fourth place with 422 units. Renault Zoe closes out the top 5 with 411 registered cars."
I used to live in Switzerland. The Swiss really love VW something fierce, so seeing Tesla sell more than VW is powerful.

Using data from the Car and Driver magazine, Engineer Explained tells you why Tesla is still king. The best comparison he had was that from a 1000 mile road drip, the Model S LR would be only 30 mins slower than an ICE using google maps data.

Also note that the Mach E was traveling at an average of 5 miles/hr slower than the Tesla so I say that's giving the Mach E a range advantage here.

Great video to watch after one crappy week.

1626467650411.png

And yet $TSLAQ still yaps about regulatory credits....SMH!

Wu Wa (Jul 16, 2021)

"This video recorded about 7:00 in the morning of the #Teslashanghai #Gigafactory . This may be the time for the entire factory to go to work. Through aerial footage, we can see that Zhengjia Road on the west of the factory looks busy and the road looks a bit congested. Inside the factory, buses transport the workers to the factory where they work. At this time, the drone is like hovering over a giant aircraft carrier about to set sail. In addition, the price reduction of Tesla Model Y in China has caused waves. Some online media in China are commenting. In their opinion, #Tesla is like a series with climaxes from time to time. Obviously, the Tesla Model Y price cut makes China's New Energy Vehicle manufacturers unable to breathe."​

Cheers!

Good morning, Stellantis!

Stellantis said its wholly owned subsidiary FCA Italy had been placed under investigation by a Paris court on Tuesday over allegations of consumer fraud relating to the sale of diesel vehicles between 2014 and 2017.

Diesel - the gift that keeps on giving.

Wu Wa (Jul 16, 2021)

"This video recorded about 7:00 in the morning of the #Teslashanghai #Gigafactory . This may be the time for the entire factory to go to work. Through aerial footage, we can see that Zhengjia Road on the west of the factory looks busy and the road looks a bit congested. Inside the factory, buses transport the workers to the factory where they work. At this time, the drone is like hovering over a giant aircraft carrier about to set sail. In addition, the price reduction of Tesla Model Y in China has caused waves. Some online media in China are commenting. In their opinion, #Tesla is like a series with climaxes from time to time. Obviously, the Tesla Model Y price cut makes China's New Energy Vehicle manufacturers unable to breathe."​

Cheers!
That is quite the muddy field!

Wu Wa (Jul 16, 2021)

Cheers!

Wouldn't be surprised if July China sales/export numbers are a big surprise. Wu Wan has done a couple videos now in the first half of July, and each time the lot is full with lots of trucks loading cars and taking them away. I'm thinking cracking 40k sales/exports is a possibility for July and very likely by Aug if not July.