Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
(bump) Worth watching - these two witter short videos re the IDRA Giga Press got the Twitter approval quiz/ nudge of Elon: "Do you even press? " (Die casting: molten aluminum alloy is injected under pressure in giant molds, hence the not just pressing word play)

TESLA.NY.EMSK.GigaPress.jpg

Last edited:
That is a great video! Just the visuals alone bring home the message. 2 things that would also be interesting would be comparisons of the Model Y HVAC system with the earlier versions used by Tesla in the first Model S's and 3's and a discussion of how the new Model Y system might work in a conventional ICE vehicle... other than the change in the type of coolant used, there has not been a change of anything substantial in cars for 70 years or more. Just the use of a heat pump seems like a no brainer to me.
yes and if you push forward to 10:30 or so...just listen as he says the mach e is the second best EV he's seen. The gulf is huge.

Nice to see the new foundations at 1:44 for even yet more stamping machines. This appears to be the fourth stamping building.

Wu Wa (Jul 16, 2021)

"This video recorded about 7:00 in the morning of the #Teslashanghai #Gigafactory . This may be the time for the entire factory to go to work. Through aerial footage, we can see that Zhengjia Road on the west of the factory looks busy and the road looks a bit congested. Inside the factory, buses transport the workers to the factory where they work. At this time, the drone is like hovering over a giant aircraft carrier about to set sail. In addition, the price reduction of Tesla Model Y in China has caused waves. Some online media in China are commenting. In their opinion, #Tesla is like a series with climaxes from time to time. Obviously, the Tesla Model Y price cut makes China's New Energy Vehicle manufacturers unable to breathe."​

Cheers!

Unless you work
Wow. Worth watching all 12 minutes for sure. This is the perfect rebuttal to “the competition is coming”

My favorite quote is said in front of the pile of parts:

This is the second best product that we’ve looked at.”

“This is better than everything else we’ve seen (apart from Tesla)

View attachment 685081

vs Tesla

View attachment 685083
Exactly what got me too. That's the second best EV (behind the Y). Unless you work on equipment you don't understand the magnitude of the issue related to fluids in the hoses. They have maybe another gallon or more of fluid in the hoses, so not only was it over twice as heavy but there was another 7 or more lbs still to be added to take into account the fluids. In addition, the fluid tanks appear larger. It would not surprise me to see 15 lbs of additional fluid weight. And that's the second best. Makes you wonder what cluster F the VW ID 4 and 3 were like. Of course the original Model S, X, and 3 were not nearly as elegant as the Y so we are comparing 5 EV vs Fords first true EV. I continue to think that Ford is the best of the legacy firms, was glad to hear that Sandy agreed.

I think the octavalve could be a very large stand alone business. It's that good

Wu Wa (Jul 16, 2021)

"This video recorded about 7:00 in the morning of the #Teslashanghai #Gigafactory . This may be the time for the entire factory to go to work. Through aerial footage, we can see that Zhengjia Road on the west of the factory looks busy and the road looks a bit congested. Inside the factory, buses transport the workers to the factory where they work. At this time, the drone is like hovering over a giant aircraft carrier about to set sail. In addition, the price reduction of Tesla Model Y in China has caused waves. Some online media in China are commenting. In their opinion, #Tesla is like a series with climaxes from time to time. Obviously, the Tesla Model Y price cut makes China's New Energy Vehicle manufacturers unable to breathe."​

Cheers!
Absolutely astounded at the progress of GF Shanghai. And so much more efficient than Fremont. Noticed that the car carriers are now loading from the field side instead of the building side. At the 4:20 mark the buses are all traveling opposite of the roadway direction arrows. Always striving for more efficiency I'm sure. Also a lot more red vehicles being produced (higher margins). The delays at GF Berlin and GF Houston appear to be more than offset by the onslaught of vehicles coming out of GF Shanghai.

Screen Shot 2021-07-16 at 6.40.11 PM.png

Wu Wa incorrectly refers to the the new Standard Range Model Y as a "price cut" and "price reduction". The new Standard Range Model Y represents a different size battery than the Long Range Model Y and Performance Model Y. Yes, it is a price cut and price reduction to the Consumer, but NOT to Tesla, as the Standard Range is less expensive to build (smaller battery pack and only one motor) compared with the Long Range model. Mass Media has not picked up on this. The financials of vehicles produced in China will be breathtaking. Just ask @The Accountant
Screen Shot 2021-07-16 at 6.52.44 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-07-16 at 6.57.40 PM.png

Unless you work

Exactly what got me too. That's the second best EV (behind the Y). Unless you work on equipment you don't understand the magnitude of the issue related to fluids in the hoses. They have maybe another gallon or more of fluid in the hoses, so not only was it over twice as heavy but there was another 7 or more lbs still to be added to take into account the fluids. In addition, the fluid tanks appear larger. It would not surprise me to see 15 lbs of additional fluid weight. And that's the second best. Makes you wonder what cluster F the VW ID 4 and 3 were like. Of course the original Model S, X, and 3 were not nearly as elegant as the Y so we are comparing 5 EV vs Fords first true EV. I continue to think that Ford is the best of the legacy firms, was glad to hear that Sandy agreed.

I think the octavalve could be a very large stand alone business. It's that good
The weights quoted in the video were literally only the weights of the fluid's, so 9kg vs 22kg. I'm sad they didn't provide a comparison on the weights of the components.

This week in TSLA land:
- TSLA down 2%
- For those of us North of the 49th parallel (more or less) the 1.3% drop of the CAD against the USD results in a more palatable TSLA decline of 0.7%.
It feels like TSLA is getting ready to break out, we simply need traction and some cooperation from the general markets. Hopefully the Q2 results will do the trick. Patience is a virtue.

Screen Shot 2021-07-16 at 7.11.16 PM.png

Rough week for the TSLA faithful. I’m blaming macros and late ER date.

But at least we’ll have some GM defectors to the Tesla side. All 400 of them. The ones that’s bought the car that topped the model 3 for ev of the year??!?

View attachment 685157
An EV fire sets us all back, no matter which Brand, and is no laughing matter. Let's hope the other Brands can get their shyte together and put out good quality, safe and reliable EVs like Tesla. Every EV sold displaces one ICE and is considered a victory.

This week in TSLA land:
- TSLA down 2%
- For those of us North of the 49th parallel (more or less) the 1.3% drop of the CAD against the USD results in a more palatable TSLA decline of 0.7%.
It feels like TSLA is getting ready to break out, we simply need traction and some cooperation from the general markets. Hopefully the Q2 results will do the trick. Patience is a virtue.

View attachment 685158
Evidently, it’s going to take a Harley-Quinn-style baseball bat to the side of the head to break out of $600-700. True China numbers may do it. Q2 numbers may do it. I’m hoping Q3 will for sure.

The weights quoted in the video were literally only the weights of the fluid's, so 9kg vs 22kg. I'm sad they didn't provide a comparison on the weights of the components.

Agreed. I enjoyed the video overall and was pleased at the interstellar gap between the two. However, I think it was disingenuous to show the Tesla pump intact and the Ford one only as pieces dumped out of a box. A fairer view would have been to show both intact and then move on from there. And if the Ford one could not be hung up and displayed, then shown pictorially for the sake of comparison.

it’s great that Tesla is kicking everyone’s behind on the pump, but all reviews need to be at the highest levels of parity to be truly definitive.

Side note: The dynamics between Sandy and his President seemed off?

Sad story. I sold a significant chunk of my position at the time because of the Cybertruck reveal. I thought “what the hell this this?”

Now I look at it today and say “This is a no brainer”

Everyone wants a Tesla after driving around in a Tesla. The Cybertruck is going to have a whole new segment of buyers exposed to Tesla for the first time. This thing is going to sell like wildfire

Well, if @Claire Musk has had a small short position in Tesla, I say "Get a Life".
They set up a new special account in January dedicated to Tesla and tweet and retweet up to 20 times a day and only with a small short position in the past.
This individual is full of BS or unstable or both.

View attachment 685025
I agree.
I must say, I give a good chance that this twitter handle was publishing a lie on exiting the short position, as part of some manipulation. Shared the tweet FWIW.

Tesla Virtual Power Plant supposedly debuting in California. Owners of power wall will be able to check eligibility and enroll starting July 22nd.

Hope it's true and look forward to learning the financial ramifications of this new offering

Tesla Virtual Power Plant supposedly debuting in California. Owners of power wall will be able to check eligibility and enroll starting July 22nd.

Hope it's true and look forward to learning the financial ramifications of this new offering
Official source:

I don’t think there’s any chance Tesla buys starlink. Elon wants to extract maximum value from that via an IPO to fund SpaceX Mars effort.

The boring company is a different story entirely - would make a lot of sense for Tesla to buy that.
Some disgruntled shareholder would sue, claiming the Boring Co had to be saved from bankruptcy. /s

Article:
The lurking threat to solar power’s growth
First 2 paragraphs...
Simply put: the more solar you add to the grid, the less valuable it becomes.

The problem is that solar panels generate lots of electricity in the middle of sunny days, frequently more than what’s required, driving down prices—sometimes even into negative territory.

Hmmm.... If only there was a company that could figure out how to timeshift the power of the sun.....HODL

Good morning, Stellantis!

Stellantis said its wholly owned subsidiary FCA Italy had been placed under investigation by a Paris court on Tuesday over allegations of consumer fraud relating to the sale of diesel vehicles between 2014 and 2017.

Diesel - the gift that keeps on giving.
It's not diesel, per say, that keeps on giving... It's the criminal misrepresentation, lying and unethical cover up that keeps on giving!

Article:
The lurking threat to solar power’s growth
First 2 paragraphs...
Simply put: the more solar you add to the grid, the less valuable it becomes.

The problem is that solar panels generate lots of electricity in the middle of sunny days, frequently more than what’s required, driving down prices—sometimes even into negative territory.

Hmmm.... If only there was a company that could figure out how to timeshift the power of the sun.....HODL
Daniel Shipstone, where are you? 😉

• Love
Reactions: wtlloyd
Forward Observer

Ordered a CyberTruck last weekend before I learned it was not a flop. Originally ordered as soon as the online process was allowed. But, my wife poo-hoo’d the reservation because it would not fit into the garage ~ stainless steel mind you. Got the blessing last weekend since she read that it would fit in our garage. See, easy.:rolleyes:

If I was younger, I could have rammed it forwards and backwards till it fit.:cool: