Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes I've heard GF1 is currently full in both the Tesla and Panasonic sections with battery capacity at c.26 gWh.
The current capacity is in a smaller building than initially planned, I think because they have increased to 4 floors from initial plans for 2.

But we are going to have to see external construction start again soon both for Y production and battery capacity expansion. I don't think this is likely to take too long though. Does anyone remember how long it took for the last section to be built onto the factory?
I think it was pretty fast. I believe the footings were already poured, so I think the shell can go up in a couple of months. That’s the cheap work. I’d guess they can wait until phase one of Shanghai is complete before GF1 next stage.

Reactions: ReflexFunds
Blade Runner truck will probably need a giant (150kwh+) battery to do truck stuff....Hopefully there will be videos of it ripping diesel brodozers in half.

And if it has 4 motors it'll probably be able to beat lots of supercars at drag racing lol.

If it is mostly driven at a lower speed (on poor/off roads), wouldn't that keep the consumption in check?

Don't Bet Against Elon ‍ on Twitter

D1xxUJHXgAAVwOJ.png

Even the same number of loading docks between "pillars". Very similar design.
The picture is now clear. The large doors accommodate Navi and neuralink allows human mind meld with Navi. This would give clarity to the Alien Dreadnaught...

If it is mostly driven at a lower speed (on poor/off roads), wouldn't that keep the consumption in check?

Consumption is high on bad roads - rolling losses rather than aero. You know how if you try to drive a non-offroad vehicle offroad, you can burn out the suspension due to the heat that builds up? That heat is energy taken away from your movement.

Also, EPA range measurements don't care how you plan to drive the vehicle, and people still want their trucks to be suitable for road trips.

Towing uses lots of energy... and a truck that can't tow isn't really a truck.

If this truck has a smaller battery than 150kwh I'd be extremely surprised... Hell I wouldn't be surprised if the battery is larger than the Roadster battery.

From another thread:

Most people here seem to think the 3rd row is suitable for kids only. Elon thinks they are for adults:
Liked by Elon:
K10 on Twitter
Plus:
Elon Musk on Twitter

Do we have any videos / pictures?

DÆrik got some shots (35 seconds in) of the jump seat that show what could be a collapsible headrest, along with a glimpse of the clearing to the glass above,

Oh yeah, there it is, the Tesla cyberpunk truck:

View attachment 386904
You people really don't get it do you? This is just Elon doing what he does best; messing with our puny brains. I think we have as much of a chance at figuring out the image Elon gave us as these guys did;

Attachments

• upload_2019-3-16_7-41-44.jpeg
    upload_2019-3-16_7-41-44.jpeg
    59.5 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Hi all! Longtime lurker and stockholder since late spring of 2013.

The pickup truck speculation has me wanting to throw in my $.02. I currently own a 2004 F-150 with 230,000 miles and have a 2018 Corolla that I just bought as a daily driver for a 70 mile (round trip) daily commute. I now use the truck for my hobbies: hunting, fishing, hauling canoes, camping, etc. Stereotypical southern guy activities I guess. I only use the truck for those activities now because I'm gonna get an electric in a few years so it needs to last me that long. I will never be totally without a pickup, and can't wait to have an electric to use all the time and pass the Corolla down to one of my kids.

I think there are many thousands of potential electric truck buyers similarly situated. If I were to buy a new truck today, the one that would make the most sense for reliability, gas mileage, and my hobbies would be the Honda Ridgeline. Here's the problem with that: I'm never gonna drive a truck that looks like a Ridgeline. Judge my male redneck vanity if you will but I'm just not gonna buy something as unmanly-looking as the Ridgeline despite specs lining up with my needs. It's a little embarrassing to admit this but sales figures point to much of the market agreeing with me.

I'm getting increasingly worried with all this Bladerunner/cyberpunk pickup speculation. Very few people in my neck up the woods are going to spend a lot of money on a pickup that is too far removed from our mental image of a pickup. I guess it's a type of illogical conservatism but I suspect the weirdness in my own brain is widespread in the addressable market for EV pickups.

That Rivian pickup looks about perfect to me (not sure how I feel about the headlights), but I've got my doubts if we'll ever see it. I like the Bollinger (though only 200 miles of range makes me queasy) but we might never see that either. Bottom line is I really need Elon and Co to take on the F-150/Silverado/Ram and not go overly sci-fi. It gives me confidence that Elon has always mentioned the F-150 as competition but some of this more recent speculation has me worried. Tesla has gotten the big things right thus far. I think they'll continue to do that, but the pickup market is different from sedans and crossovers.

Happy for the existence of this community and would participate in a crowdfunding effort to pay the mods of this thread.

The pickup truck speculation has me wanting to throw in my $.02. I currently own a 2004 F-150 with 230,000 miles and have a 2018 Corolla that I just bought as a daily driver for a 70 mile (round trip) daily commute. I now use the truck for my hobbies: hunting, fishing, hauling canoes, camping, etc. Stereotypical southern guy activities I guess. I only use the truck for those activities now because I'm gonna get an electric in a few years so it needs to last me that long. I will never be totally without a pickup, and can't wait to have an electric to use all the time and pass the Corolla down to one of my kids.

I think there are many thousands of potential electric truck buyers similarly situated. If I were to buy a new truck today, the one that would make the most sense for reliability, gas mileage, and my hobbies would be the Honda Ridgeline. Here's the problem with that: I'm never gonna drive a truck that looks like a Ridgeline. Judge my male redneck vanity if you will but I'm just not gonna buy something as unmanly-looking as the Ridgeline despite specs lining up with my needs. It's a little embarrassing to admit this but sales figures point to much of the market agreeing with me.

I'm getting increasingly worried with all this Bladerunner/cyberpunk pickup speculation. Very few people in my neck up the woods are going to spend a lot of money on a pickup that is too far removed from our mental image of a pickup. I guess it's a type of illogical conservatism but I suspect the weirdness in my own brain is widespread in the addressable market for EV pickups.

That Rivian pickup looks about perfect to me (not sure how I feel about the headlights), but I've got my doubts if we'll ever see it. I like the Bollinger (though only 200 miles of range makes me queasy) but we might never see that either. Bottom line is I really need Elon and Co to take on the F-150/Silverado/Ram and not go overly sci-fi. It gives me confidence that Elon has always mentioned the F-150 as competition but some of this more recent speculation has me worried. Tesla has gotten the big things right thus far. I think they'll continue to do that, but the pickup market is different from sedans and crossovers.

Happy for the existence of this community and would participate in a crowdfunding effort to pay the mods of this thread.
You can slow the future down but you can't stop it happening. There is already enough people in the world that are ready to embrace something other than the norm. The pickup could end up being a superior flagship to the Roadster. Who will be the first actor to get dropped off in one at the Oscars?

The pickup truck speculation has me wanting to throw in my $.02.
I think there are many thousands of potential electric truck buyers similarly situated. Very few people in my neck up the woods are going to spend a lot of money on a pickup that is too far removed from our mental image of a pickup.
Loads of us screaming this sentiment all over the place since the first banner image. My take is still that all the world is indeed a stage, and you needn't worry, because as soon as the stage is set we'll see

Reactions: Lucky_Man
Crossover stats.jpeg

Can anybody confirm this stat, that crossovers comprise almost 40% of car market share in US, with pickups and SUVs at less than 20% each? I would have guessed that the latter two sell more than crossovers, as I hardly see any crossovers on the road, while seeing plenty of SUVs and pickups. Maybe I'm not clear on what the crossover category consists of?

My point is that if this stat is really correct (but is it?), it's a big boon for Model Y (as the latter is properly considered a crossover rather than an SUV, I believe).

The image (frame) was pulled from:

Last edited:
You can slow the future down but you can't stop it happening. There is already enough people in the world that are ready to embrace something other than the norm. The pickup could end up being a superior flagship to the Roadster. Who will be the first actor to get dropped off in one at the Oscars?

This is exactly the type of thing people like me hope that Elon does not consider when designing the new pickup.

Indeed, I initially dismissed that FAQ entry as wording ambiguity. But the wording, especially when combined with the order page, is unambiguous:

Model Y Ordering FAQ

"When will Model Y production begin?

Model Y production is expected to begin in late 2020 in North America, and in early 2021 in Europe and China. Standard Range production is expected to begin in early 2021 in North America, and in early 2022 in Europe and China."​

The order page wording is even more unambiguous:

"When will deliveries of Model Y begin?

Model Y production will begin in late 2020 in North America, with deliveries beginning shortly after.
Production will begin in Europe and China in the first half of 2021, with deliveries beginning shortly after."​

Note how production is clearly separated from deliveries, and "production in Europe" is unambiguously stated by first half of 2021. There's no space for ambiguities there.

So I concur: European Gigafactory confirmed!! :D

Update: the Model Y Ordering FAQ got updated, with the wording no longer implying a European Gigafactory:

Model Y Ordering FAQ

"When will Model Y production begin?
Model Y production is expected to begin in late 2020 for North America, and in early 2021 for Europe and China. Standard Range production is expected to begin in early 2021 for North America, and in early 2022 for Europe and China."​

Note the "for Europe" vs. "in Europe" wording.

European Gigafactory unconfirmed again! :D

Last edited:
I’ve just determined the primary function of the Model Y 3rd row seats- as it is exactly the same as the back seat in my former Boss Mustang:

selling the car to your significant other.

(This important factor has existed in the car biz for decades, and apparently will well into the future....)
They actually look like they have more head room than the RX350L we have. It looks like my head might actually fit. In THE RX350L I have to lean forward. We'd obviously take two cars instead of subjecting any adults to that in either vehicle.

• Helpful
Reactions: Lucky_Man

Why are you wondering if the Rivian will be produced? I don’t see any warning flags, other than how hard it is to do in general.