Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else have a feeling Q1 earnings will be much better than expected by many of us?

I think one big damper will be S/X sales. The numbers in the Netherlands (expectedly) and Norway (unexpectedly) are downright abysmal. I don't think US S/X sales are to write home about either. The upsides are the massive discounts that may have helped move some metal (at the cost of gross margin) and possibly the import tax relief in China. Losing 5k sales on S/X with an average GM of $25k per car is already $125M profit headwind. Add in the discounts on existing models and we may see a sequential decline in profit contribution of $200M on the S/X segment.

From another thread:

Most people here seem to think the 3rd row is suitable for kids only. Elon thinks they are for adults:
Liked by Elon:
K10 on Twitter
Plus:
Elon Musk on Twitter

Do we have any videos / pictures?
The videos from people who rode in it said they doubt you could even get a car seat back there. (Kim at likeTesla). At the reveal did you notice the two women that got out of the back seat when they parked it on stage? They couldn't have been 5 feet tall.

Dan

• Informative
Reactions: Smokey4141 and GSP
Most people here seem to think the 3rd row is suitable for kids only. Elon thinks they are for adults:

Third rows in SUVs of this size class are not used for road trips with 7 adult passengers.

They are used:
  • By families of five or more, which is about 10% of U.S. households. In a family with 3 children the smallest or second smallest one goes into the third row.
  • They are used by families of four that have plans for a third child. Average car ownership is 7 years, and we all know that wives are in firm control of the choice of the next family car. Husbands have an important advisory role, which more often than not is an honorary role with no real executive power.
  • 7 seaters are also useful when soccer moms do small favors to befriended moms and take the kids of multiple families from A to B on smaller trips. Smallest ones go in the back.
  • Most of the time the 3rd row seats are folded down and it serves as cargo space.
  • Seating 7 adults is road legal and happens occasionally too, but mostly only during product unveilings. :D

Last edited:
I think one big damper will be S/X sales. The numbers in the Netherlands (expectedly) and Norway (unexpectedly) are downright abysmal. I don't think US S/X sales are to write home about either. The upsides are the massive discounts that may have helped move some metal (at the cost of gross margin) and possibly the import tax relief in China. Losing 5k sales on S/X with an average GM of $25k per car is already $125M profit headwind. Add in the discounts on existing models and we may see a sequential decline in profit contribution of $200M on the S/X segment.

I’m with you here. Also, Tesla guided for a loss, there is no reason to believe in a surprise profit. The max positive surprise I could fathom is a small non- GAAP profit but a GAAP loss.

The videos from people who rode in it said they doubt you could even get a car seat back there. (Kim at likeTesla). At the reveal did you notice the two women that got out of the back seat when they parked it on stage? They couldn't have been 5 feet tall.

It’s quite obvious: if you need 7 seats go for the X. If Tesla speaks of “adult seats” it’s only a matter of legality, not practicality (jump seats in Model S were legal only for kids).

Completely aside from all this: it got quiet about the Mini Bus, did it? In the X days, there was talk about Tesla releasing a Mini Bus...

The upsides are the massive discounts that may have helped move some metal (at the cost of gross margin) and possibly the import tax relief in China.

Do we have German S/X numbers? The corporate car tax incentives for EVs introduced this January are very generous - but might take time to be realized, as corporate purchases are often planned months in advance.

The Model X delivery estimate in Germany already shifted to May, which suggests that readily available inventory is tight.

But yes, I agree that sub-20k S/X deliveries and lower margins are possible in Q1.

• Love
Reactions: Fact Checking
I have the impression Tesla planned international deliveries to make up for the worst case scenario for USA deliveries. I.e. they planned to keep producing for the european market up until the end of the quarter, with a nasty one time effect caused by vehicles in transit over the ocean, hence the guidance for a small loss. Halfway the quarter they had enough visibility in domestice demand to cancel the boats that would cause lots of vehicles in transit.
In any case, vehicles in transit (on the oceans) now seems to be much less of an issue than we thought at the begin of the quarter.

Do you have any source that they cancelled boats (deliveries delayed in Europe? Haven´t heard of this...). Or just your assumption?

You seem to be assuming a LOT of cash there.

Note that Tesla generating 10 billion dollars of cash in the next 2 years is a conservative estimate which assumes zero growth - the real figure might be significantly more.

The gold mine of EV demand has only been scratched so far: the 3 trillion dollars EV market with 10-20% long term margins is going to generate income of 300-600 billion dollars per year.

Who is going to dominate that gold mine we don't know yet - but when the VW CEO was asked that question he answered with Tesla as his first choice:

So who’ll turn out to be the EV leader by 2030? Diess ponders the future. “What will be the names of the big players, I can’t tell you. It might be Tesla, it might be Apple, it might be someone from China. I hope that it will be still Volkswagen; we are working hard.”

VW's Herbert Diess Says Tesla Is Doing A Good Job & Has An Edge

I would agree with this because even before the Y event I have been looking everywhere to buy the competing vehicle. Since you seem to have found it could you tell me which one it is?
It should:
Cost $40K-$50K
Travel between 250-300 miles per charge
A higher ride height than 6"s (I still don't know if Y has this)
Add 100 miles of range in 5-10 minutes.
Not need fuel.

I am sure it is secretly being sold or at least announced by one of those German companies just not in the US.
Some competitor's car means an ICE vehicle.

True but 5k extra P3D at $20k margins and 50k extra AP upgrades at $2k each could cover this. I asume a lot more P3D will be sold in Q1 than in Q4. With increasing numbers of 3s produced the margins will improve. And some FSD functionality with automatic lanechanges could be taken home also.

I can see so many ways Tesla could be greatly underrepresenting how well things are going. People are talking about 30-50k delivered Model 3s and billions in losses, but I am not seeing it. With carsonight saying this today:
carsonight Richard Taylor 15 hours ago

My best guess from the people who actually work there is 6k plus Model 3s per week. If those numbers are true then I would guess 80k for the quarter. Your guess is as good as mine for Models S/X, but Tesla shut down one of three assembly lines so a reasonable estimate would be production is down by 1/3 of their historic 25k per quarter level, so my best optimistic guess is 17k Models S/X for the quarter. If everything goes right, that's 100k vehicles this quarter which is well within Tesla's guidance.

I have a feeling some analyst will be wrong with some hundred percents.

In the X days, there was talk about Tesla releasing a Mini Bus...

upload_2019-3-16_3-10-29.jpeg

Do you have any source that they cancelled boats (deliveries delayed in Europe? Haven´t heard of this...). Or just your assumption?
Just an assumption. Remember when Elon guided to a small loss? Everbody here assumed that it would be because vehicles in transit on boats. Now that we know there are no new boats departing from Pier 80, that theory is not valid anymore. I sincerely hope it is because they changed their delivery plan. If not, we’re looking at a planned losss not caused by vehicles in transit. Nobody here predicted that scenario.

Do we have German S/X numbers? The corporate car tax incentives for EVs introduced this January are very generous - but might take time to be realized, as corporate purchases are often planned months in advance.

The Model X delivery estimate in Germany already shifted to May, which suggests that readily available inventory is tight.

But yes, I agree that sub-20k S/X deliveries and lower margins are possible in Q1.
Tesla Europe Registration Stats

Of that, 1008 was in Norway, a ratio of 4,5 to 1.

Halfway through March, there have been 1968 deliveries in Norway. Assuming that this rate of deliveries in Norway holds even (it's actually been accelerating), this would be 3936 Norway deliveries and nearly 18k deliveries in Europe alone (there have been as many ships going to China as to Europe, so if one assumes the same ratio, 36k international deliveries to Tesla markets that have the 3 for sale, plus 4700 in Canada Jan+Feb, an SR-boosted surge for March, and some extra S+X in other markets.

Honestly, I doubt a 4,5 to 1 ratio will hold (Norway vs. Europe) through the end of the month; I've been betting on a 3,5 to 1 ratio. Then again, Norway deliveries have been accelerating - starting the month at <100/d, now >150/d.

Either way, international deliveries have been rocking it this quarter. :) And excepting Canada, and Mexico in March, all of the others are only available in high-margin variants.

Last edited: