Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My initial reaction was the same. Illegal act, fine him now. On reflection I changed my mind. That girl will be a leader, able to nonchalantly say to her friends “oh I’ve been driving since I was five, nothing to it”.

There is a danger from pushing a pram on a footpath that is no greater.

There is a danger from raising timid children, susceptible to be cajoled into trying various drugs by peer pressure.

I speak as one who has taught 7yr olds to sail. Also as one whose parter has two sons, both without a drivers licence through fear. Giving children confidence to handle the world is a great gift.

I don’t expect this comment to pass without a few thumbs down. That’s life.

Very true. I have fond memories of learning how to steer while sitting on my dad's lap when I was 8 yrs old. And I'm especially proud that he insisted that I not drink and drive.

Cheers!

My initial reaction was the same. Illegal act, fine him now. On reflection I changed my mind. That girl will be a leader, able to nonchalantly say to her friends “oh I’ve been driving since I was five, nothing to it”.

There is a danger from pushing a pram on a footpath that is no less.

There is a danger from raising timid children, susceptible to be cajoled into trying various drugs by peer pressure.

I speak as one who has taught 7yr olds to sail. Also as one whose parter has two sons, both without a drivers licence through fear. Giving children confidence to handle the world is a great gift.

I don’t expect this comment to pass without a few thumbs down. That’s life.
Children are just a neural net waiting to be programmed.
When I was young and my mother went to visit her father at the nursing home, my father would bring me to an old parking lot where there was no car and would make me drive standing to hold the steering wheel and I was controlling the gas and brake pedals. It was off course with no cars but then he started to bring me in he less crowds parking lots where there was the shopping mall while my mom was shopping. I was around 6 and I remember learning to drive as much at 6 as when I got my officiel license at 16. Good old times.

I made my 6 and 8 years old drive the Tesla in the open field of the family farm. Don’t worry, there is couple acres before they can hit anything on the road. And I was controlling the pedals at all time. My 8 years olds just drove a go kart alone this summer racing against his mom and I can safely say his hundred of hours playing Mario kart and driving go kart made him a better race driver than my wife, however my wife is safer. She drives so slow that she could never ever get into an accident. The first respondents would be gone before she gets into an Impact.

anyway, dont worth fighting over this. There are some safe controlled situations that are reasonable to do it. On open road, it is questionable because a kid could get out between 2 cars or a drunk driver could come fast and cause and impact.

My comment earlier this afternoon was incorrect regarding the maximum number of shares authorized for Tesla. Here's today's up-to-date info, right from the source

Yes, I already posted that in response to your original claim.

So yes, technically Tesla could announce a 2:1 split at any time w/o first needing to amend their Corporate Bylaws (which requires a vote of shareholders). HTH. :D

Cheers!

This is again incorrect- this has been covered a number of times now.

They have some amount of unissued shares they could NOT issue as a dividend because they need some for current SBC, bond conversions, etc. 2:1 on common shares would almost certainly leave them unable to meet current obligations here... (the extra 100 mil preferred shares already authorized don't help them here as no existing commitments promise those shares-and they can't be used in a split situation either- and it's a type Tesla has never actually issued anyway)

This is where most folks come up with the 1.9:1 mentioned... but even that wouldn't leave them a whole lot of margin given how the company appears to intend to keep expanding- to the point they want to 20x production in the next 8ish years, and continue offering SBC while doing it.... the spare 100 mil preferred shares could in theory be used for some specific SBC offered/earned in the future, but just bumping the authorized share limit makes a ton more sense.

Is this a confident view you have about this matter, or more of a “perhaps likely”?
Why would they not use the AGM to do something that’s needed well before next year’s AGM?

I think their claim was based on their incorrect thinking that there were only 1,2B shares authorized, not 2B. Without any further split there's plenty of shares available to meet current SBC obligations including Elons.

FWIW, a chief reason for that is that Tesla has OTA updates that resolve what could have been recalls for other OEMs. Another is that OTA diagnostics tends to find issues before they become a crisis, so preemptive correction is often made. The consequences of those two avoid many very high cost warranty activities for Tesla. Actuarial experiences are just now reaching enough confidence to help further reduce initial reserves.

Another is there's simply far less things on an EV to go wrong in the first place... and it's another thing Tesla keeps doubling down on too (as you can see in things like the Sandy video comparing the # of parts in the Y vs Mach E cooling systems.

Last edited:
And yet you have a 7 year old driving a spaceship as your avatar? Riiiiiiight.
Plus, you are wrong on every count. The driver has control of the speed of the vehicle...and there is some tesla thingee that can help as well. But you go off on the course most likely taken by an internet poster. Feel free, as if it is the time and the place for your idiocy. You are not alone.
(Go ahead Mods. step in do your magic...but take out the original comment as well.)
If someone hits them head on, and the airbag goes off, that child is dead.

Very sad to see a parent put their child at risk like this. Yes, I get their intent, the yoke is child's play, but come on. The parent has enough sense to buckle up themselves yet puts their child on a pedestal as a projectile. This is illegal, poor common sense, and I like to think Tesla owners are smarter than this.
Agree. But truth be told, my father did the same to me at that age. 1970 American Motors Ambassador was the first car I ever steered back in 1973.

If someone hits them head on, and the airbag goes off, that child is dead.
Same can be said if the dad is taking her walking around the neighborhood and a drunk driver runs them over...there's inherent risk to everything you do, including falling off your bed. So can we please get back to talking about TSLA?

As long as - Oh, Right! It’s Friday Night Live! - we’re on with kidz in carz…..

Gussie, still 3 yo, likes packing his suitcase (mostly with his animal friends), trundling out of the house with it to the only car whose doors he can open (doesn’t matter which one that is, but it’s neither the Model S, Model X, F-350 nor Sprinter). Emplaces suitcase, goes to driver’s seat.

And he’s off! Has a great time.

”So. Where did you go today?”

”To Kansas. And then to Kenya. To see the zebras.”

Just one level more seriously, he DOES, really and truly, have now hours of experience driving both Caterpillars: the 287B skid steer configured either as bucket loader or forklift, and the 305CR excavator. He is allowed to use the “forward drive” joystick or levers, and knows when to turn the controls over to Daddy for the complicated maneuvers, like turning or reversing.

I didn’t have it that good, and I don’t think many others these years do either, at least away from true farm country. He also has held the wheel in the cockpit, but doesn’t yet have much of an understanding how sails really work. We’ll get there pretty soon, though, I fully believe! Attached is, first, most of his lifetime ago (age 7 1/2 mos.), and second…yess, we even use rentals on occasion.

Attachments

• 6F7294FB-CAFE-4F63-9B56-6327CDDB49AB.jpeg
    6F7294FB-CAFE-4F63-9B56-6327CDDB49AB.jpeg
    62.7 KB · Views: 85
  • AEE473F1-8F2B-4C71-8216-1FAE16AFBEBC.jpeg
    AEE473F1-8F2B-4C71-8216-1FAE16AFBEBC.jpeg
    646.1 KB · Views: 85
As long as - Oh, Right! It’s Friday Night Live! - we’re on with kidz in carz…..

Gussie, still 3 yo, likes packing his suitcase (mostly with his animal friends), trundling out of the house with it to the only car whose doors he can open (doesn’t matter which one that is, but it’s neither the Model S, Model X, F-350 or Sprinter). Emplaces suitcase, goes to driver’s seat.

And he’s off! Has a great time.

”So. Where did you go today?”

”To Kansas. And then to Kenya. To see the zebras.”

Just one level more seriously, he DOES, really and truly, have now hours of experience driving both Caterpillars: the 287B skid steer configured either as bucket loader or forklift, and the 305CR excavator. He is allowed to use the “forward drive” joystick or levers, and knows when to turn the controls over to Daddy for the complicated maneuvers, like turning or reversing.

I didn’t have it that good, and I don’t think many others these years do either, at least away from true farm country. He also has held the wheel in the cockpit, but doesn’t yet have much of an understanding how sails really work. We’ll get there pretty soon, though, I fully believe! Attached is, first, most of his lifetime ago (age 7 1/2 mos.), and second…yess, we even use rentals on occasion.
Howdy. Kid looks miserable in second pic.
(nice to see your face)

Reactions: ThortsMD
My comment earlier this afternoon was incorrect regarding the maximum number of shares authorized for Tesla. Here's today's up-to-date info, right from the source, the Tesla 2021 AGM Preliminary Proxy Statement:

ARTICLE IV​

4.1 Authorized Capital Stock. The total number of shares of all classes of capital stock which the corporation is authorized to issue is 2,100,000,000 shares, consisting of 2,000,000,000 shares of Common Stock, par value $0.001 per share (the “Common Stock”), and 100,000,000 shares of Preferred Stock, par value $0.001 per share (the “Preferred Stock”).​
So yes, technically Tesla could announce a 2:1 split at any time w/o first needing to amend their Corporate Bylaws (which requires a vote of shareholders). HTH. :D

Cheers!

Admit a mistake, and then provide the data to make your point; the quickest way to earn my respect. Well done, Dodger.

As has been stated by many before; real competition will not come from legacy…but from an innovative startup. I suspect this Rimac Nevera could challenge the roadster (albeit at a completely different price point).

What I really enjoyed about this video is how transparent these Rimac folks are. Very open to letting Brooks have a real owner experience. As compared to many EV manufacturers that release carefully curated demo videos to pump their market value.

Vehicles like this will certainly be the death nail for likes of Bugatti and Lamborghini unless they get serious about EV’s.

Brooks ready to sell everything in his garage to get one of these (Except the plaid of course)!

Wow, nice comparison @lafrisbee. So you really are just an ant.
- Infant driving car - illegal - fact
- Infant not wearing seatbeat nor in car seat - illegal -fact
- The parent driver has control of the speed of vehicle, so what?
- Tesla is the safest auto ever built, however this does not conclude that Tesla drivers are safe, nor does it conclude that every other driver of any other vehicle on the road will not come into contact with said Tesla. Accidents happen. Don't encourage them. How would the parent react if a drunk driver came at them head on? Certainly not as quick with a child sitting in their lap with hands on the yoke.
Would you do this to your daughter? I definitely would not to mine. Case closed. My final post on this.
My reply:
Not the time or place for you to show your goody-two-shoeness of how someone else is not raising their kid to your standard. Contact the police if you are so concerned about him breaking the law.

Booking flight to Fremont, then Berlin as general public is invited to the factory opening on oct 9th.

View attachment 696295

I have enjoyed fly / travel as much as the next person, but really @Discoducky wouldn't these short, extravagant, and emissions-issuing flights be counter to the Tesla Mission? You can watch online, eh? Aren't we all trying to reduce non-essential fossil fuel travel?

As has been stated by many before; real competition will not come from legacy…but from an innovative startup. I suspect this Rimac Nevera could challenge the roadster (albeit at a completely different price point).

What I really enjoyed about this video is how transparent these Rimac folks are. Very open to letting Brooks have a real owner experience. As compared to many EV manufacturers that release carefully curated demo videos to pump their market value.

Vehicles like this will certainly be the death nail for likes of Bugatti and Lamborghini unless they get serious about EV’s.

Brooks ready to sell everything in his garage to get one of these (Except the plaid of course)!

Lol, waste of amps! With street-legal tires, it's barely faster than a Plaid S and at wot, 20x the cost?! They're gonna sell dozens of these (at least, until the Roadster is unleashed, that is. Then its SpaceX Ed. or the highway...)

Meanwhile, back on Earth Brooks is to doing what he does best: selling Plaid S-upercars to friends:

900HP McLaren 600LT vs Turo Tesla Plaid Model S

Cheers!

Last edited:
I have enjoyed fly / travel as much as the next person, but really @Discoducky wouldn't these short, extravagant, and emissions-issuing flights be counter to the Tesla Mission? You can watch online, eh? Aren't we all trying to reduce non-essential fossil fuel travel?
Elon is a celebrity. In person celebrity appearances are strategic in support of the Mission.