Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agree. But truth be told, my father did the same to me at that age. 1970 American Motors Ambassador was the first car I ever steered back in 1973.
I didn't have it so lucky. The first car I drove was one I borrowed late at night. I was 11. It was theft. Even though when the children in my neighborhood did take a car we would never drive it for more than an hour, and we would return it before the owner ever knew it was gone.
And then We got older... and a couple of us just started not returning them.
My parents didn't give a rat's butt about me. They were dealt a crappy hand, and I had to play it. So to see a man take an interest in a child makes me feel that child is fortunate, and is living a good life.

And I feel as though people need to look at themselves when they say things like what was said. If that man teaches that child how to ride a bicycle in a couple of years then she is just as likely to be killed by a car while riding a bike. So save it. Anyone that feels the need to explain they have a higher regard for the life of that child and are more sensible about raising her are full of themselves. Especially when they decide they need to post such mindless drivel in this forum.

As has been stated by many before; real competition will not come from legacy…but from an innovative startup. I suspect this Rimac Nevera could challenge the roadster (albeit at a completely different price point).

What I really enjoyed about this video is how transparent these Rimac folks are. Very open to letting Brooks have a real owner experience. As compared to many EV manufacturers that release carefully curated demo videos to pump their market value.

Vehicles like this will certainly be the death nail for likes of Bugatti and Lamborghini unless they get serious about EV’s.

Brooks ready to sell everything in his garage to get one of these (Except the plaid of course)!

Only for Bugatti is now Rimac problem since they own them now.

Since my Cybertruck is delayed, I bought a different rolling robot. It has fewer seats and less towing capacity, but is available now.

I named my robot Suckzilla. It is a new brand from an established manufacturer of more expensive robovacuums. Their method of reducing cost is similar to that of our favorite carmaker.

The first robovacuums were blind drunkards that staggered around at random until they bumped something, then changed direction, until they eventually covered most of the floor, or ran out of battery, or you got tired of the staggering around. (I never owned one.) That type is still available, but sucking robotics has progressed.

Last year's top-of-the-line has a lidar sensor on top for navigation, and a forward-facing camera and AI designed to recognize and avoid dropped socks, toys and puppy poop. (Amazon reviewers report the poop recognition is imperfect, causing considerable consternation.) Such advanced technology seemed like overkill to me, since I don't store my socks, Barbie dolls and poop on my floor.

Suckzilla has no lidar or forward-facing camera, but it doesn't stagger around. It has a single camera on top that apparently watches the ceiling, and some kind of sensor on the front that makes it stop a quarter inch from walls. It does bump into table legs, but then circles them with remarkable efficiency, and continues crossing the room in straight parallel lines. It vacuumed my entire apartment with little wasted movement, while drawing a map of the floor on my smartphone, then returned to its charging/emptying station. With the map, I can send it to clean particular areas, or avoid areas like puppy minefields. All for half the cost of the lidar-topped model.

So now I am psychologically prepared for Tesla's FSD. I have seen, in my kitchen, the future of robotic navigation: cheap cameras and smart AI.

Last edited:
I have enjoyed fly / travel as much as the next person, but really @Discoducky wouldn't these short, extravagant, and emissions-issuing flights be counter to the Tesla Mission? You can watch online, eh? Aren't we all trying to reduce non-essential fossil fuel travel?
Can you promise me that I'll get to see and hear everything at the meeting and the tour?

😟 I'm looking forward to the day automation put driving test out of business.

Lol, waste of amps! With street-legal tires, it's barely faster than a Plaid S and at wot, 20x the cost?! They're gonna sell dozens of these (at least, until the Roadster is unleashed, that is. Then its SpaceX Ed. or the highway...)

Meanwhile, back on Earth Brooks is to doing what he does best: selling Plaid S-upercars to friends:

900HP McLaren 600LT vs Turo Tesla Plaid Model S

Cheers!
If some company wants to throw everything they can to have title to be the fastest then go for it. Nothing wrong with companies wanting some superlatives since Elon loves them too. I'm pretty sure their allocation of 150 is already sold out since wealthy people are more collectors and love limited edition crazy machinery (hell there are watches that cost more than this car and are all sold).

Can Tesla do better? Sure, but the engineering feat from their team is making the fastest motors on a scale of 1 million a year and beyond as these will most likely go into the semi. The machine that makes these motors were the actual product that sets Tesla apart.

to be clear though…..this is a republican proposing this and they have zero weight/leverage in this matter. This would go directly in the face of what Biden and Senate Democrats have already publically stated. I give this a less than 5% chance of actually being approved when the bill is written out to be voted on

Gotta remember how politics are played. It’s obvious the Republicans are trying to “say” they support climate change by providing an amendment that clearly cripples the EV credit( except for hilariously only Tesla). They know it won’t get taken up by Democrats but they can say to their voters in their states that “see I support climate change”.

They did the very same thing many times in the infrastructure bill that just passed
I didn't have it so lucky. The first car I drove was one I borrowed late at night. I was 11. It was theft. Even though when the children in my neighborhood did take a car we would never drive it for more than an hour, and we would return it before the owner ever knew it was gone.
And then We got older... and a couple of us just started not returning them.
My parents didn't give a rat's butt about me. They were dealt a crappy hand, and I had to play it. So to see a man take an interest in a child makes me feel that child is fortunate, and is living a good life.

And I feel as though people need to look at themselves when they say things like what was said. If that man teaches that child how to ride a bicycle in a couple of years then she is just as likely to be killed by a car while riding a bike. So save it. Anyone that feels the need to explain they have a higher regard for the life of that child and are more sensible about raising her are full of themselves. Especially when they decide they need to post such mindless drivel in this forum.
When I was growing up on the farm, during harvest when farmers were in the field day and night,the kids drove the grain truck to the elevator. our next door neighbor had a 6 year old and and a 9 year old. The 9 year old stood on the seat and worked the wheel and shift. The 6 year old worked the pedals. They drove 4 miles on a busy highway to the elevator. It was unusual, but older kids were standard and legal. The 9 year old could plow as straight a furrow as any man.

As has been stated by many before; real competition will not come from legacy…but from an innovative startup. I suspect this Rimac Nevera could challenge the roadster (albeit at a completely different price point).

What I really enjoyed about this video is how transparent these Rimac folks are. Very open to letting Brooks have a real owner experience. As compared to many EV manufacturers that release carefully curated demo videos to pump their market value.

Vehicles like this will certainly be the death nail for likes of Bugatti and Lamborghini unless they get serious about EV’s.

Brooks ready to sell everything in his garage to get one of these (Except the plaid of course)!

Mind blowing what Mate Rimac has achieved with the Nevera. Has literally left the performance car segment well into the rear view mirror. Outstanding engineering!

Lol, waste of amps! With street-legal tires, it's barely faster than a Plaid S and at wot, 20x the cost?! They're gonna sell dozens of these (at least, until the Roadster is unleashed, that is. Then its SpaceX Ed. or the highway...)

Meanwhile, back on Earth Brooks is to doing what he does best: selling Plaid S-upercars to friends:

900HP McLaren 600LT vs Turo Tesla Plaid Model S

Cheers!

Every dollar/Croatian kuna Rimac spent on the Nevera probably bought the equivalent of 4x Tesla marketing. Tesla put in a cheat code before playing the auto game.

😟 I'm looking forward to the day automation put driving test out of business.

crazy

the DMV examiner reportedly informed the Tesla owner that he failed because the “technology in the car was not off.” When asked for more explanation, the examiner explained that the Model 3’s acceleration should have been on “Chill Mode” and the steering settings in “Comfort.”
I don't even understand the dislike of sport mode or insane or ludicrous or whatever, a go pedal is a go pedal and a brake pedal is a brake pedal.

ensuring that the Model 3 was in Chill Mode and its steering was set in Comfort. But just like his previous attempt, the DMV examiner informed the Tesla owner that he had failed because of the Model 3’s “automatic engage.” Explaining further, the examiner stated that she could feel the brakes even when the physical brake pedal was not being pressed.
Ok and then complaining about regenerative braking which would be an issue on a Nissan Leaf or Chevy Bolt. OMG the car slowed down when he told it to by pulling his foot off the Go pedal, how dare it respond to driver input?!

[...]

Seems to me you missed some important news in early July regarding Bugatti and Rimac to make such a statement:

"Rimac's 33-year-old founder takes control of the new company as CEO"
"Rimac will hold a 55 percent stake in the new entity. Porsche, which controls Bugatti on behalf of their joint parent Volkswagen, will hold the remainder."

Somehow, I do not think Mate Rimac wants to kill his own company ;)

My initial reaction was the same. Illegal act, fine him now. On reflection I changed my mind. That girl will be a leader, able to nonchalantly say to her friends “oh I’ve been driving since I was five, nothing to it”.

There is a danger from pushing a pram on a footpath that is no less.

There is a danger from raising timid children, susceptible to be cajoled into trying various drugs by peer pressure.

I speak as one who has taught 7yr olds to sail. Also as one whose parter has two sons, both without a drivers licence through fear. Giving children confidence to handle the world is a great gift.

I don’t expect this comment to pass without a few thumbs down. That’s life.

It is not about the kid driving. Good for her. It is about the unknown. There are other drivers on the road. Some of them might be high/drunk/stupid.

Remember UHF? Trinidad Silva

Reactions: BornToFly
Would you do this to your daughter?
Yes, for my 2 cents. I was raise (at one time) on a farm. I was steering a tractor at that age. Operated a backhoe at 12. This helped me a lot to understand the physical world early in life... as the NN was being established.

True study, the most rambunctious and outgoing school kids had the least number of (serious?) injuries. Conclusion was that the more a child was isolated from danger, the more the child got hurt left to their own. And that fear and risk is taught. True there was risk my childhood Farm, but there is much higher risk when a child walks down the sidewalk IMO, let alone cross a street, even with a light. So on the scale of 1-10 danger, this was a 1 for me. And I really don't want to get into the helicopter moms... just really sad.

OK to del or move. This topic just hits home with me. Kids won't know how to play someday sadly. And the lawyers made our world super safe to the point we can't even recognize true danger.

Mind blowing what Mate Rimac has achieved with the Nevera. Has literally left the performance car segment well into the rear view mirror. Outstanding engineering!
Achieving performance comparable to the 2020 Tesla Roadster is impressive, and kudos to them for being first to preproduction. But at 10x the price it is hardly mindblowing.

Yes, for my 2 cents. I was raise (at one time) on a farm. I was steering a tractor at that age. Operated a backhoe at 12. This helped me a lot to understand the physical world early in life... as the NN was being established.

True study, the most rambunctious and outgoing school kids had the least number of (serious?) injuries. Conclusion was that the more a child was isolated from danger, the more the child got hurt left to their own. And that fear and risk is taught. True there was risk my childhood Farm, but there is much higher risk when a child walks down the sidewalk IMO, let alone cross a street, even with a light. So on the scale of 1-10 danger, this was a 1 for me. And I really don't want to get into the helicopter moms... just really sad.

OK to del or move. This topic just hits home with me. Kids won't know how to play someday sadly. And the lawyers made our world super safe to the point we can't even recognize true danger.
I recall driving a tractor on a farm as well. It was only for a few weeks because I didn't actually live on a farm. Went to some classes in a one room school too. I was maybe eight years old.

The similarity being that death in all these instances is incredibly, mind-bogglingly unlikely anywhere other than inside fearful, pearl-clutching imaginations.
Unfortunately, those imaginations have made it to the media, so every school day you see a long line cars because the parents believe it's far too dangerous for their children to walk to and from school. Halloween has been ruined by this as well.