Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Burry still short TSLA puts and now short ARKK puts as well:

Michael Burry Bets Against Cathie Wood's Ark, Adds To Tesla Puts | ZeroHedge

Specifically, as of June 30, Scion owned Puts contracts against 235,500 shares of the ARK Innovation ETF. As everyone knows by now, the flagship exchange-traded fund of Cathie Wood and her firm Ark Investment Management has emerged as the US SoftBank, investing billions into anything with a "story", and betting for virtually perpetual growth in countless growth and momentum stocks. In the process it has lured billions in the past year after her thematic tech-focused bets trounced the market in 2020, although Wood and Ark have struggled to maintain their momentum this year, amid concerns about lofty valuations and accelerating inflation.

To be sure, Burry was already indirectly betting against Ark's biggest long, Tesla, but now he has taken the fight directly to Cathie Wood. And speaking of TSLA, Burry's massive bearish bet has increase by over 34% and the Puts now cover 1,075,500 TSLA shares, representing a nominal value of $731 million as of June 30 (naturally the actual capital at risk is far lower, although without more details on which specifics TSLA puts Burry has bought it is impossible to defined his full exposure), making the TSLA short his biggest position.
Looks like his bet is more on the treasury yield going up which would drag high flyers like Arkks company down. Not a terrible bet I guess since interest rate will most likely go up from a fed rate if zero...can't go lower than zero unless some catastrophe in the economy.

Honest question....
I'm intrigued to buy at this drop of $680ish because it's stupid, but it would be my second highest SP entry point if I did. The SP has been plenty lower very recently. Other than rage buys, Why new conviction at higher prices than less than 3 weeks ago?
Very short-term I wouldn't buy here, there are better short-term plays. That doesn't mean TSLA won't perform well in the short-term, it's a risk/reward thing.

Looking out a year it's probably a great deal but the market has more than one great deal and, like the short-term play, no one really knows where the overall market will be in a year. Timing is hard, the market is what it is because no one knows which way it's going to go. That is precisely what makes it a market. If people knew what it was going to do, it would instantly adjust.

Looking out 3-4 years the probable growth of Tesla the company completely overwhelms any market uncertainties that always exist, it's a screaming buy. TSLA will probably be a lot higher, even if the market sucks, which I think unlikely anyway. This is how people have been compounding their money reliably since modern markets were born.

The only kind of conviction that is real is based on the likeliness that Tesla, as a company, will outperform the rest. If you don't have a big enough position to fully take advantage of #3 (the long-term play) it's a screaming buy right here.

I also couldn't reach it from 6am until 1045am PST, and I tried a down detector site that couldn't reach it either.
I couldn't connect from my Mac on any browser (HTTP Error 503), but was fine from my iPhone, I rebooted my Mac and then was OK

1629138412059.png