Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure what you’re referring to when you say “get that from”.
EDIT: I see you clarified your post.

Besides, Elon’s about 6’3” now. No way he’ll grow by a factor of 10 to 62’6” 😂

You’re going to bet against the guy who lands rockets? It might not be on time but if he says he’s going to grow 10x you’d be a fool not to believe him!

You’re going to bet against the guy who lands rockets? It might not be on time but if he says he’s going to grow 10x you’d be a fool not to believe him!

Elon may grow taller on Mars, and he will definitely lose weight...

Gravity on Mars is only about 38% of Earth's. So, if you weighed 100 pounds on Earth, you would only weigh about 38 pounds on Mars.

Early assignment of 490C. Bullish?

Not sure if anyone came across something similar and posted here in the last several days, sharing FWIW.

I had Sep-17-2021 490C sold, IBKR assigned and took my shares.
Fortunately, most of those shares were bought this year in 6xx-7xx range.
There's more than 2 weeks to expiry, and 490C is not too deep ITM, but still someone needed shares. Maybe this is bullish?
If this information is helpful, you are welcome :p

In case you are wondering if I chose to give away shares instead of buying the call back, when you have calls sold and they get ITM, IBKR doesn't send you a notification of assignment prior to assignment, they send a notification at the end of the day, after your shares get assigned on that day.
Given an opportunity, I would've bought back those calls sold.

@Artful Dodger @generalenthu @Papafox @Curt Renz @bxr140

The problem then is a matter of education. Tesla could provide an online Guide to Buying a Tesla in (insert state here) for the folks that need a little help. (Tesla, Fremont could fill out the forms for which ever state and mail the package to the buyer with instruction to review, sign, and mail to the appropriate county or state office.)

Still, it in no way indicates a Tesla can't be purchased in Texas. Which is FUD. It is possible, and, not really all that hard. Plus, people likely do not understand how the existing dealer "service" of submitting the paperwork is something that needlessly costs them a lot of money.

I do know there is a statute that "requires the dealership to offer" this service to a buyer. When you go to the dealer the sales-critter will act as though the statute means they "must" perform the service. This is an intentional misinterpretation of the statute. I have dealt with this hogwash at dealerships in Texas for decades. They balk all the way to the manager's or accountant's office, then, capitulate when someone among them who understands the law says I'm right, and they process the sale without including the "service" of relieving me of extra beer and bacon money for doing this on my behalf.

In an instant gratification society I can easily see how some buyers might just say, "don't confuse me with the facts, just sell me the car" and expect it to be taken care of for them.

This preference for someone else to perform this simple step for a buyer in no way changes how the claims that "you can't buy a Tesla in Texas" are false and have no legal basis. Perpetuating this nonsense is spreading FUD and is counter to selling Tesla cars, as well as counter to increasing the gains of shareholders.

Again, I ask that people educate themselves and avoid spreading FUD about this. Tesla and TSLA have enough without us adding to it.

I think most of us realize that Texans can buy a Tesla if they follow the rules in place. But what I hear you saying is that the barriers to doing that are not significant and it doesn't significantly impact Tesla's ability to penetrate the Texas auto market.

If this is really true I can only conclude that you believe Texas auto dealerships would not waste their time and money fighting a proposal to create an exception to the law for Tesla? Because Tesla is pretty much already on a level playing field so it would not help Tesla compete for market share in Texas to any significant degree?

Last edited:
Early assignment of 490C. Bullish?

Not sure if anyone came across something similar and posted here in the last several days, sharing FWIW.

I had Sep-17-2021 490C sold, IBKR assigned and took my shares.
Fortunately, most of those shares were bought this year in 6xx-7xx range.
There's more than 2 weeks to expiry, and 490C is not too deep ITM, but still someone needed shares. Maybe this is bullish?
If this information is helpful, you are welcome :p

In case you are wondering if I chose to give away shares instead of buying the call back, when you have calls sold and they get ITM, IBKR doesn't send you a notification of assignment prior to assignment, they send a notification at the end of the day, after your shares get assigned on that day.
Given an opportunity, I would've bought back those calls sold.

@Artful Dodger @generalenthu @Papafox @Curt Renz @bxr140
Well It's definitely more bullish than the person who didn't buy back their 490 calls that have been in the money since November of last year...

I have a LEAP question for the TMC experts

I notice a lot of LEAPS trading in 10 cent increments. But do you gain an advantage with the trading algos if your limit order is placed 1 cent higher ? Would you front run all the .10 cent orders by just bidding 1 penny higher ? (even though it seems to trade in 10 cent increments ?

ie If the bid / ask gap on a given Call was $120.1 - $121.1; If I placed an order at 120.11, and the price was to come down to your ask, wouldn't a 120.11 order fill before a $120.1 order because it is higher ?

Thanks in advance!

paging @Lycanthrope , and any other LEAP experts
In my experience, LEAPS are less sensitive to pricing than weeklies, so if I'm looking to trade I'll tend to anticipate the stock direction and set and order a few $$ higher/lower depending whether I'm buying or selling - if there's a psychological number near-by then these a favourite points for people to bid at too

Also take note of the spiked pricing you get in the first 5 minutes of trading, you can scalp a few $$ in your favour by setting a limit order ready BEFORE market opens, using pre-market direction and velocity as a guide for the initial trading

Last edited:
Elon tweeted large pouch cells are dangerous. . This is as evident by the GM Bolt recall due to fire and explosion. I’m not sure how many OEMs are using this form factor but perhaps many.
Quote from article below: “General Motors said it could cost as much as $1.8 billion.

At the time, GM had offered to replace all the battery cells in recalled cars, but that effort has been paused as the company worries that its battery supplier, LG, can't make "defect-free" products.

I take this to imply GM kind of agree that large pouch cells may be inherently dangerous.

Last edited:
I think most of us realize that Texans can buy a Tesla if they follow the rules in place. But what I hear you saying is that the barriers to doing that are not significant and it doesn't significantly impact Tesla's ability to penetrate the Texas auto market.

If this is really true I can only conclude that you believe Texas auto dealerships would not waste their time and money fighting a proposal to create an exception to the law for Tesla? Because Tesla is pretty much already on a level playing field so it would not help Tesla compete for market share in Texas to any significant degree?
Apologies for the length. But, we both have a tendency to be wordy at times.

Would you disagree that continuing to propagate unfounded FUD may harm Tesla sales?

It might help to consider approaching the problem from a first principles perspective in order to solve it. That is what Tesla is all about after all, right?

My goal was to be clear in stating how there is no law I have found that prevents Tesla (the company from Fremont, CA) from selling cars to Texans. This is the FUD that is oft repeated and establishes the mistaken impression that Texans cannot buy Tesla cars. It is not supported in fact, therefore it is false. Do you disagree with this?

I do agree that the statute which prevents Tesla employees at a showroom from making "sales talk" or helping a customer order a car while visiting the showroom is an actual problem. However, this is the extent of the law's teeth. The statute prevents an OEM from establishing a brick and mortar "dealership" of their own where a sales transaction can take place.

That this needs to be changed is something I agree with, however, it falls short of being "a law that prevents Tesla from selling cars in Texas" and I feel this clarification should be emphasized instead of spreading FUD based upon a casual misunderstanding of the statute's scope. Do you disagree with this?

Those who keep repeating this FUD in the Investor's Forum have been asked to cite the statute which supports their claim. As far as I have been able to discover there is no such law with the scope as it is described in these instances. I'd be happy to concede the argument if someone were to demonstrate otherwise. Does this not seem a reasonable approach toward resolving this based upon first principles?

Likewise, the presumption that a vehicle produced in Texas would have to leave the state and return is similarly flawed. Only the original MSO or Title must originate in another state. I would be interested to see if anyone can cite a statute to support this claim of the physical vehicle needing to be brought to the customer from across the state line. As far as I can tell this idea is ill founded and repeating it creates FUD for potential buyers which must be overcome. Do you disagree with the idea of looking into this claim further in order to determine whether it is or isn't based in fact?

It may not be a level playing field, however, a clever company could work within the existing rules to maximize Tesla's ability to compete until the effect of the statute on Tesla and others using the Online Sales Model is modified by the legislature, as it has been in several other states. This will take time in Texas as the legislature only meets every two years. So, what to do instead of griping and moaning and spreading FUD?

In the mean time it would benefit Tesla to take the lemons and make lemonade. Push the envelope up to and touching the edge by getting "www.Tesla.com" out there for buyers to find, and/or, create documentation and spread the word about How To Purchase a Tesla in one of these states with a Dealership Cartel, rather than spreading the falsehood that It Is Against The Law To Buy A Tesla There. Do you disagree with this?

As mentioned, these misinterpretations of the law by media and others is more of an "education" problem in regard to Tesla increasing sales in those places that have protectionist statutes, rather than it being a legal problem.

The first step in this education would be to always present the facts in such a way as to illustrate the nature of the problem and how to work around it. i.e.:
  • Individuals could make fun and interesting videos explaining the Dealership Cartel and the statute that stymies direct sales and what people can do about it
  • Tesla greasing the skids by creating simple DIY packages to accompany the Title or MSO they send that includes every form needed to register and apply for title in that particular state and a step by step instruction
  • Plus, anything else that could be created which will be brought up in a search for "is it legal to buy a Tesla in Texas" or similar search string, with the result being crafted to help spread knowledge, rather than further propagating FUD
Do you disagree that this could be an alternative first principles approach for Tesla and its supporters to apply in the interim until the statute can be nullified?

Granted, there would be little point in making such an effort until production is better meeting demand. I think this is just around the corner as Austin and Berlin come online. Hopefully, Tesla has this ball rolling to coincide with the production ramp.

Last edited:

Not exactly. FUD works and many dealers consider it the lifeblood of their business. So the ability to say, "Tesla is not allowed to sell cars in Texas" operationally works on all customers who are susceptible to FUD. Vin diagram says these people would not buy a Tesla anyway.

Tesla operates out of galleries in shopping malls and they are not restricted by Auto dealer laws that force dealers to close for one of the two days each weekend.

The "one day closed" rule is mixed for the dealers as well, as Sunday is the only day you can walk a dealers lot without being harassed by a sales person. So it does not hurt them as much as you would think, as if they were open every day there is a Vin bubble of people who would never visit them.

Long story short, the "can't be a dealer in Texas" allows Tesla to sell cars on both weekend days, forces and explains lean inventories to the customer and creates an opportunity to place the product in the most expensive areas with a tiny real estate footprint.

There is some "Please don't throw me into the briar patch" going on, in that the briar patch that Tesla is already in offers better access to decision makers that steer household money, with better product placement, at a lower cost, with more selling days each month, importantly twice as many selling days each weekend.

The Vin diagrams workout OK. People who love FUD can hold onto it.

Think about it. Someone who can barely afford a $25k car is going to pay $10k+ for FSD? No way.
Not sure why the disagrees - my assumption is the more money you have/make, the more valuable your time is vs. driving yourself.
So with this logic FSD on 25k$ car only makes sense as a service, people who stretch for the 25k$ Tesla won't book/buy fsd - makes sense?

Not sure why the disagrees - my assumption is the more money you have/make, the more valuable your time is vs. driving yourself.
So with this logic FSD on 25k$ car only makes sense as a service, people who stretch for the 25k$ Tesla won't book/buy fsd - makes sense?

Fully agree - and as such, the $25K Tesla needs to be offered with a steering wheel (maybe as an option). If I consider buying a first car for my kids, then a "M2" Tesla would be high on the desirable list. FSD for them - not so much. Time-frame is 6-9 years for this need, and I honestly don't believe we'll have German or EU approval for full FSD cars without the option of a steering wheel as fall-back by then.

Even if the price modifier is 1.0, TSLA can still profit if they have a virtual utility selling electricity back to the grid at peak prices. BTW, Netherlands is one of the countries with most advanced energy markets, when it comes to dynamic pricing
I can see Tesla charging €0.59-€0.79 / kWh (compared with SuC €0.40 for Teslas) as do the other high-speed providers such as Ionity or Fastned

All, we are at the 2 week time mark on AI day. As you know, I was trying to use first principles to pace Elon and his robot team to get a sense if they would be on-time. The answer is "Yes, they are right on schedule." The link describing is here: 22522 said:

Here's why I think that the model 2 or whatever it's to be called will have a steering wheel.

It's not because FSD won't be perfected enough for all relevant scenarios and markets yet (but it won't);

It's not because buyers of a 25k car won't pay 40% on top of that for FSD (but they won't);

It is really because one of Elon's stated goals is to make products that people love. Just yesterday he commented on the importance of maximizing happiness. When you remove the wheel, the vehicle becomes not much more than a utilitarian tool to get from point A to B. No longer can you choose to how to lean into the curves of a country road or how to accelerate off the line at a stop sign. And it becomes "less fun" when you take away those options.

For this reason I think Teslas will have steering wheels for a while even after FSD is fully perfected.