Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tantalizingly close now to "filling the gap" to last Friday's trading range, only $1.66 more to go as of 11:00 a.m.

View attachment 712719

C'mon, u kin do it !

Cheers!
I'd much rather the markets continue to sell off and for once we could use that huge Put Wall at 700 to protect the stock. It's pretty clear no matter how much the macro's rebound, the stock isn't going to be over 750 on Friday. So any gains in the macro's are essentially a waste.

• Disagree
Reactions: Tim S
I'd much rather the markets continue to sell off and for once we could use that huge Put Wall at 700 to protect the stock. It's pretty clear no matter how much the macro's rebound, the stock isn't going to be over 750 on Friday. So any gains in the macro's are essentially a waste.

Are you going to short calls bigly at 750?

Assuming macro holds, I see us retesting 760.

Just no on testing 700. That's just.. no. What are you thinking/wanting ?

I’m not an options guy; but this reminds me of something about pennies and steamrollers something.

Do you understand the need for corrections to happen in the market?

They're healthy and set new bases which allow a ton of money that is sitting on the sidelines to enter the market. It would be much healthier for the market for if it had a 10% correction instead of the 5% it had. I'd MUCH rather have a 10% correction happen on a week when there's a huge Put Wall at 700 that will act as support combined with the 50 day and 200 day moving averages acting as support. If you have a correction where there is no clear Put Wall, then there's no incentive for MM's to support the stock to avoid paying out those Puts.

Btw, unless some serious volume comes in, the stock is not going to end anywhere close to 760 for the week. The stock isn't even outperforming the Nasdaq today. It's very clear what is going to happen for this week barring a big inflow of volume.

Btw @The Accountant , I've been just casually tracking Model 3 trim in Norway (and extrapolating and applying to all European deliveries), but the percentage of LR and P Model 3's are significantly higher than previous quarters. I'd say easily over 50% of the 3's registered are LR/P compared to maybe just 15-20% in past quarters (and in fact I don't really remembering seeing hardly any P trims in the past)......So when you combine it with the fact that all Y's are LR, that means the trim level in Europe has gone from 75% SR+ overall in Q2 to 75%+ LR/P overall in Q3. I smell a very nice surprise in ASP for Q3

Last edited:
Herbert Diess: "I said to collaborate with ELON!"

Herbert Diess: "I said to collaborate with ELON!"

The 'L' on the keyboard is close to the period. I'm assuming this directive was sent via email. :)

Do you understand the need for corrections to happen in the market?

They're healthy and set new bases which allow a ton of money that is sitting on the sidelines to enter the market. It would be much healthier for the market for if it had a 10% correction instead of the 5% it had. I'd MUCH rather have a 10% correction happen on a week when there's a huge Put Wall at 700 that will act as support combined with the 50 day and 200 day moving averages acting as support. If you have a correction where there is no clear Put Wall, then there's no incentive for MM's to support the stock to avoid paying out those Puts.

Btw, unless some serious volume comes in, the stock is not going to end anywhere close to 760 for the week. The stock isn't even outperforming the Nasdaq today. It's very clear what is going to happen for this week barring a big inflow of volume.

Tesla is still recovering from it's March correction. We are still well off 900 despite a 1 billion profit Q2, and a possible 2 billion profit Q3.

CLF fell 10% on Monday. Market is picking and choosing what it wants to fall past 5%.

TSLA isn't and shouldn't be one of those 10% fail stocks.

Rather than relying on MM's to prop the stock, how about we prefer long funds, investing, buying and holding?

I had 715 short puts expiring this week which I rolled up to 740 last Friday. Those took a huge bath on Monday and only green today.

I could derisk it but I'll put my money where my mouth is by holding.

If you are so confident in a 750 top, you should be shorting.

Saying "I told you so" at 4:00PM on Friday when price is 749.99 or 700 with no position doesn't count.

Here's my real time as of position 09/22/2021 - 12:00PM EST:

1632326448156.png

Let's see your shorts.

Tesla is still recovering from it's March correction. We are still well off 900 despite a 1 billion profit Q2, and a possible 2 billion profit Q3.

CLF fell 10% on Monday. Market is picking and choosing what it wants to fall past 5%.

TSLA isn't and shouldn't be one of those 10% fail stocks.

Rather than relying on MM's to prop the stock, how about we prefer long funds, investing, buying and holding?

I had 715 short puts expiring this week which I rolled up to 740 last Friday. Those took a huge bath on Monday and only green today.

I could derisk it but I'll put my money where my mouth is by holding.

If you are so confident in a 750 top, you should be shorting.

Saying "I told you so" at 4:00PM on Friday when price is 749.99 with no position doesn't count.

Here's my position:

View attachment 712729

Let's see your shorts.

Are seriously insinuating that I have a short position? I've never done shorting because I don't agree with the ethics of it and I've never bought a Put on TSLA, no matter how bad the short term action was or that I thought it would be.

I don't think you really understand the basis of what I'm saying and your response is clearly idealistic, not realistic. Tesla isn't going through a "recovery", it's been going through a P/E multiple contraction all year. Is it fair that the stock should be going through a P/E contraction when they're projecting 50% growth for the next 5 years? Of course not. But every stock goes through a P/E contraction and Wall St decided that this was the time it was going to make it happen. We can cry about it as much as we want, not going to change anything.

"Rather than relying on MM's to prop the stock, how about we prefer long funds, investing, buying and holding?"

Sure that'd be great......except that's not what is happening. The volume isn't there. Why wish on something that clearly isn't happening? When will the volume start kicking? Who knows. I thought it would have already kicked in by now but we're still waiting.

I don't think you really understand the basis of what I'm saying and your response is clearly idealistic, not realistic. Tesla isn't going through a "recovery", it's been going through a P/E multiple contraction all year. Is it fair that the stock should be going through a P/E contraction when they're projecting 50% growth for the next 5 years? Of course not. But every stock goes through a P/E contraction and Wall St decided that this was the time it was going to make it happen. We can cry about it as much as we want, not going to change anything.

This is really the crux of what has happened with the stock this year. Essentially it was decided on Wall St. that this is a flattened growth story and the stock should behave that way (and conveniently smash all the bullish option plays for 2021).

Of course we all know the growth story is just beginning…

This is really the crux of what has happened with the stock this year. Essentially it was decided on Wall St. that this is a flattened growth story and the stock should behave that way (and conveniently smash all the bullish option plays for 2021).

Of course we all know the growth story is just beginning…

Exactly, but as I've pointed out pretty much all year, the gig is up with the P/E contraction "game" with Q4 earnings, though that timeline moved up to Q3 earnings after what we saw in Q2 earnings. I still think there's no way Tesla's forward P/E gets close to 100 for years and realistically, I think it stays around the forward P/E ratio of 150-200 for the next couple of years.

Are seriously insinuating that I have a short position? I've never done shorting because I don't agree with the ethics of it and I've never bought a Put on TSLA, no matter how bad the short term action was or that I thought it would be.

"Rather than relying on MM's to prop the stock, how about we prefer long funds, investing, buying and holding?"

Sure that'd be great......except that's not what is happening. The volume isn't there. Why wish on something that clearly isn't happening? When will the volume start kicking? Who knows. I thought it would have already kicked in by now but we're still waiting.

I'm saying you should be shorting calls (not shares) if you are that confident of a 750 top.

I short calls all the time on Tesla. Covered short calls because I am a bull and also not an idiot. (Well debatable on idiocy but not Gordon Johnson level idiot)

Not because I'm a bear but it's leaving money on the table if you have strong belief on TSLA trading ranges.

We both believe in Tesla so let's shake hands. Just timing I guess of where and when the price is the debate :)

I'm not selling calls personally right now until after Q3 P/D or we have a huge run up from current levels.

Don't think you have to worry. Today looks to be a gap fill kind of day with many stocks that tanked filling the gap to the upside while Vix filling gap to the downside. Vix have filled their gap at 21.5. We need Vix to close below 20, ideally below 18 to get a bull trend back in the market. SPY has a bit more to fill till 441, but unless we get some crazy good volume in from the fed announcement then correction continues for the time being.

Reactions: phantasms