Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nothing toxic about it, we're just tired of it being pointed out when we all know why Ark sells TSLA stock :rolleyes:

If you want a fun exercise, go back over the past 2 years and plot out the points at which Ark has sold TSLA shares..........you're going to be pretty shocked at how much money ARK has left on the table over the past 2 years by selling TSLA stock at the absolute WORST times.

100% agree.

I mean Mama Cathie could have just HODL every share she bought and ARKK would be 90% TSLA right now.

That defeats the purpose of a diversified and managed ETF.

She has her own holdings and is personally worth over a billion dollars. Mama Cathie has a LOT of TSLA.

Listening some of the forecasting discussions here—Tesla has this valuation by then; does not!; does so!; nuh uh!; uh huh!—reminds me of a trick I developed back when I was hearing a variety of such back and forth discussions.

I like to mentally insert an "I can’t imagine how" when I was hearing someone say this thing couldn‘t happen or that thing would happen no earlier than such and so date.

It is a reminder to myself to see them for their background and to ask myself what they might be missing.

So as not to take a position on valuation, let me use the example of the Teslabot.

Let‘s say an engineer tells me that the bot cannot happen till at earliest a decade hence (yep, as I’ve said "decades" are a red flag).

What is it they cannot imagine happening? Let’s say they’re thinking about precise movements and maintaining that precision in the face of wear. They can’t imagine the materials being sufficiently good for sufficiently long perhaps.

Now they may even know about neural networks. Ones that might even be good enough to drive a car. Ones that are frozen after training, i.e. supervised.

But do they know how primates, say, deal with the fact that they have compliant effectors in bodies that are perpetually changing? Do they know what the cerebellum is and what it does (it’s hard for me to imagine that the bot will be able to function without the on-going tuning that it provides)? Do they know that there are models of it dating back more than four decades (CMAC, J. Albus, 1975)?

As for valuation, a year or two here or there matters less and less unless you are arguing we’re going to asymptote:

1632888112512.jpeg

I learned that lesson the hard way in 2013. I managed to buy almost all of them back over time, but I was way too clever by half.
Yes, well, I learned a more painful lesson 25 years ago, when I didn’t set a stop loss (as much a mental thing as an actual mechanism), and wiped out 80% of my 401k (multiple six figures). I can’t bring myself to name the company, lol. I made all of it back in spades, but it took a good while. The biggest difference between then and now, is the amount of research time invested, emotional detachment, maturity, and an investment forum like this to amplify my understanding.

Half an hour ago - new permit for building tanks at Giga Berlin granted:

English summary conveniently provided by @Gf4Tesla :)
The State Office for the Environment has approved the premature construction of various tanks in the area of the central tank farm. -Tanks for : antifreeze, windshield washer fluid, Gas Tanks for: nitrogen, carbon dioxide. And equipment and tanks for sprinklers.

Hope we´ll soon be done with the incremental stuff and get the final permit!

Mama Cathie is TSLA's biggest cheerleader and bull. Selling some shares does not change that at all.
Yes it does, actions speak louder than words.

Yesterday, while we were still green I was too busy at work but I wanted to post that we would turn red as soon as Cathie started selling Tesla for her beloved UiPath.

I agree with your first sentence.
Same here. She sold TSLA and bought ZM. I do understand that selling TSLA for rebalancing is needed, but selling in a dip seems to be a bit strange. And buying ZM (zoom) instead of holding TSLA doesn't compute with me. Everybody knows that ZM is at it's high, everybody returning for work and no, we do not work at home. Last momnday we were back at normal traffic jam numbers. So yes, we keep going to work, all at the same time.

In his last video Jeff Roberts displayed new site plans Paul Meulblok has found for Giga Texas with the factory bilding divided up in phases 1 and 2.

GFT Phase 2-1.png
GFT Phase 2-2.png

GFT Phase 2-3.png

In this last screen shot you can see the plan to extend the southern end of the factory a bit which Elon spoke of somewhere I can't quite remember.

Jeff's video can be found here - lot's of stuff happening in Austin these days:

Edit: Joe Tegtmeyer posted that the plans can be found here: Interactive Development Review Permitting and Inspection | AustinTexas.gov - The Official Website of the City of Austin

Last edited:
Listening some of the forecasting discussions here—Tesla has this valuation by then; does not!; does so!; nuh uh!; uh huh!—reminds me of a trick I developed back when I was hearing a variety of such back and forth discussions.

I like to mentally insert an "I can’t imagine how" when I was hearing someone say this thing couldn‘t happen or that thing would happen no earlier than such and so date.

It is a reminder to myself to see them for their background and to ask myself what they might be missing.

So as not to take a position on valuation, let me use the example of the Teslabot.

Let‘s say an engineer tells me that the bot cannot happen till at earliest a decade hence (yep, as I’ve said "decades" are a red flag).

What is it they cannot imagine happening? Let’s say they’re thinking about precise movements and maintaining that precision in the face of wear. They can’t imagine the materials being sufficiently good for sufficiently long perhaps.

Now they may even know about neural networks. Ones that might even be good enough to drive a car. Ones that are frozen after training, i.e. supervised.

But do they know how primates, say, deal with the fact that they have compliant effectors in bodies that are perpetually changing? Do they know what the cerebellum is and what it does (it’s hard for me to imagine that the bot will be able to function without the on-going tuning that it provides)? Do they know that there are models of it dating back more than four decades (CMAC, J. Albus, 1975)?

As for valuation, a year or two here or there matters less and less unless you are arguing we’re going to asymptote:

View attachment 715669
The problem with the graph is infant mortality. Before modern times it was very high which brings down the average life expectancy. If you made it to maturity (19 or 20), you had a good chance of living to 70+--just like today.

Last edited:
Same here. She sold TSLA and bought ZM. I do understand that selling TSLA for rebalancing is needed, but selling in a dip seems to be a bit strange. And buying ZM (zoom) instead of holding TSLA doesn't compute with me. Everybody knows that ZM is at it's high, everybody returning for work and no, we do not work at home. Last momnday we were back at normal traffic jam numbers. So yes, we keep going to work, all at the same time.
I don't see why rebalancing is needed. I know it sounds prudent and everything but is it really? ARK doesn't have to sell a rising position but they can't buy it back if it's over 10%. That means, without a significant drop in share price, ARK will never have more TSLA shares than they have right now. I wouldn't willingly handcuff myself like that.

As far as I can tell, Cathy sells when the rules of ARK** make her sell. If she was to do otherwise, it would violate the rules of the fund. Now it can be argued that these aren't the best rules, but unless the rules are changed we'll see this occur again and again.

As far as I can tell, Cathy sells when the rules of ARK** make her sell. If she was to do otherwise, it would violate the rules of the fund. Now it can be argued that these aren't the best rules, but unless the rules are changed we'll see this occur again and again.

But she could at least spread out the selling a bit more, or time it better. Selling almost 270,000 shares, worth over $200 million, is bound to negatively impact the stock and reinforce a drop. Why not sell into strength on a green day or, better, several green days?

That doesn't even touch on the question why she would sell with the likely stellar Q3 P&D and financial results just around the corner. She has room to let TSLA temporarily reach (much) more than 10% share of the funds.