Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last edited:
Uuuuuup!
Doooown!
Uuuuuuuuup!
Doooown!

paint-the-fence-hands-up-hands-down.gif

Yes, I've seen that. "Jay in Shanghai" on Twitter is a good guy, but he's hardly the definative source on how Tesla defines their End-of-Quarter. We need better.

I searched the latest 2020 10-K and Telsa's Amended and Restated Bylaws and the 2021 10-Q for the terms "Pacific", "Time", and "Local" but found no relevant results. It should be written somewhere in corporate documents however. Perhaps @st_lopes has some suggestions?

I'm quite sure this issue has come up before, it's just too infrequent for people to retain an accurate recall (vs. applying 'experience' from other companies). Specifically, and prior to the Giga Shanghai era, people used to wonder if a car delivered on the East Coast at 2:30 a.m. local time counts toward the end-of-quarter total. I recall the answer was 'yes', but again it would be better to locate the source document or policy.

Personally, I'd be surprised if Tesla didn't define a universal time/cut-off for their end-of-quarter: there are no 'Days' on Mars, only 'Sols'. Bot's will be one of Tesla's 1st Martian products, I think.

Local time is meaningless in a moving timeframe. I think time has to be based on the mothership.

Cheers!
Good guy or not, I doubt Jay had anything to do with the Tesla China employees celebrating the end of quarter milestone. To your question, China is a separate subsidiary (among many tsla-ex211_219.htm) and thus has separate bookkeeping based on local time.

FWIW, the US EV credit expiration was midnight at the purchase location since IRS follows the taxpayer's time. Normal sales counts could possibly be tied to the delivery center's "day" extending past midnight, but preferably they are able to go home before then.

Small in the overall scheme but tesla registered 1066 new model 3's in New Zealand for September, with many cars waiting licence and delivery, sales this year so far up to September were 1098, so nearly doubling the years sales. October should see a lot of registrations

For reference Audi sold 1498 new vehicles in all of 2020 here.
Do you have any previous months? Would be interesting to see how Q3 compares to Q2.

Do you have any previous months? Would be interesting to see how Q3 compares to Q2.

Heres the data for the year up to August. We had significant subsidies plus 2 price cuts on the model 3 mid year so this is the result of that.

Previous best month for model 3 was its introduction sept 2019 at 359. The delivery team here is small and over worked...

1633031010746.png

Heres the data for the year up to August. We had significant subsidies plus 2 price cuts on the model 3 mid year so this is the result of that.

Previous best month for model 3 was its introduction sept 2019 at 359. The delivery team here is small and over worked...

View attachment 716382
Wow. Didnt catch your original post said that September was the same as the previous 8 months combined and basically doubled the 2021 sales. Thats crazy.

Wow. Didnt catch your original post said that September was the same as the previous 8 months combined and basically doubled the 2021 sales. Thats crazy.
Yeah they had ~1500 cars to deliver in Sept and spent 2/3rds of the month in L4 lockdown unable to do anything!

Apparently supplies of new licence plates ran out :O

Last edited:
Don't worry, Q3 and Q4 earnings are going to take care of that. Q3/Q4 earnings will make the rest of the auto industry look embarrassing
I don't think that The Street is ready to quit printing money by manipulating TSLA. Therefore, Q3 P&D won't (can't?) be met with the deafening silence of Q2. Even so, I doubt that the true impact of both the Q3 P&D and Earnings will be recognized in the SP or by a change in the media's narrative.

I sure hope that this does not age well.

I don't think that The Street is ready to quit printing money by manipulating TSLA. Therefore, Q3 P&D won't (can't?) be met with the deafening silence of Q2. Even so, I doubt that the true impact of both the Q3 P&D and Earnings will be recognized in the SP or by a change in the media's narrative.

I sure hope that this does not age well.

I've responded to these types of posts before (nothing bad about your post, just the general sentiment that you conveyed) and I'll just remind people, there's a huge difference in stock action and perception between a company posting earnings that take it's P/E from like 1,200 to 650 (Q1 earnings) or 650 to 375 (Q2 earnings) compared to earnings taken the P/E down from 400 to 200 (Q3 earnings) and from 200 to sub-100( Q4 earnings).

I feel people actually investing based on past post earnings stock performance will be really regretting it this time around.

To keep things in perspective now that the month is over:

September:
TSLA +8.5%
S&P500 -4.8%
DOW -4.3%
NASDAQ -5.3
ARKK -9.5%

Q3:
TSLA +13.3%
S&P500 +0.2%
DOW -1.9%
NASDAQ -0.4%
ARKK -15.4%

I feel like there’s a good chance our #3 shareholder has a lot to do with that September performance.

In the recent Kara Swisher interview that was posted here earlier, Elon mentioned his options, and the requirement to exercise some of them by the end of the year; other wise he will lose them. He also reflected on the substantial tax bill that will come due .

Of course this changes nothing with regards to Elon's commitment to Tesla and is in keeping with his long held stance that he will remain "first in - last out".

To get ahead of the FUD that will be spun by the usual suspects, & is likely to accompany such an exercise / sale that might follow to pay taxes, do we know how many shares / options that he will likely take action on, and the absolute final date that those might be sold to pay the 53%+ tax bill that Elon spoke of in the interview?

Perhaps experts could chime in on what his likely course of action will be. ie Could he prolong the date of exercise to defer a sale (to pay any resultant tax liability) ?

Last edited:

I googled a bit and found maybe the best official registrations page I have seen so far:

You can configure everything and even get the live data for the current month!

Tesla has in Sep 2021 (percentages of market including not-new registrations e.g. used Nissans imported from Japan according to @RobDickinson )
  • 5% of the total passenger car market
  • 43% of the BEV market, followed by Nissan at 24% and MG and Hyundai at 11% each

Previous quarters total Tesla registrations/market share:

2021 Q3: 216/0,4%
2020 Q4: 110/0.2%

2021 Q1: 395/0,7%
2021 Q2: 324/0,5%
2021 Q3: 1465/2,7%

So to answer your question, in Q3 Tesla sold more than 5 times as many vehicles compared to Q2 😄!

@Troy

EDIT: comment to reflect that market data includes not-new registrations

Last edited:
I googled a bit and found maybe the best official registrations page I have seen so far:

You can configure everything and even get the live data for the current month!

Tesla has in Sep 2021:
  • 5% of the total passenger car market
  • 43% of the BEV market, followed by Nissan at 24% and MG and Hyundai at 11% each

Previous quarters total Tesla registrations/market share:

2021 Q3: 216/0,4%
2020 Q4: 110/0.2%

2021 Q1: 395/0,7%
2021 Q2: 324/0,5%
2021 Q3: 1465/2,7%

So to answer your question, in Q3 Tesla sold more than 5 times as many vehicles compared to Q2 😄!

@Troy

Be careful there, that is all car registrations and not new vehicles, almost all of those Nisan leafs will be used japan imports.