Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
B19267D7-9FE8-4EF5-BED8-41CB3DAACEB3.jpeg

Forward Observing

I am sure someone has said this B4:

Resounding Thank You! to all of the Tesla team ~ period. Down to the gal/guy that ordered/bought the chips. Thank you! Thank You! Oh, and thank all of you that had to wait more than a month to receive your Tesla.

Next year my daughter and son-in-law get a MY regardless of incentives. If my son-in-law is good, he might get a CyberTruck some day too; after I get mine.

Exactly what I was thinking!

Elon: It takes us 10 hours to mfg a Model 3?! That’s bananas! We must get that down by at least an order of magnitude or twelve. We are moving too slow. Cars should be coming out of the factory so fast that they can’t be seen with the naked eye.
"They do that and they will run out of ocean to dump them in. And since they're invisible no one can say that didn't happen." Shorts won't even need parking lot flyovers with that delusion.

This is a bit off-topic. And perhaps I shouldn't even reveal this, lest people try to move here.

The cost of living in Silicon Valley isn't "high" so much as it's just front-loaded. It's meant to weed out the weaker ones, like intro comp sci or organic chem for pre-meds. The sticker price of a house here is astronomical, but actually if you crunch the numbers the total cost of ownership of a home in SV over the long term is not so high, actually lower than in Austin. Your first decade in Silicon Valley you're going to be saying "Oh my god this place is insane!" 2nd decade, "Huh, not as insane as I thought." 3rd decade in SV, "What am I gonna do with all this money?"
Hey don’t bash the chem majors over here 🤓

I'd have to disagree. Tesla hosting the Annual Shareholders meeting from Austin makes perfect sense because that's the new factory and odds are they're going to show off the first production Y's.

But for them to change the location on the report is a clear sign they're getting ready to change headquarters to Austin. There's no logical reason to change your company location on official company documents unless you're already in the stages of changing your headquarters to that new location.

I'd actually put money on Elon announcing Austin is the new headquarters at the annual shareholders meeting at this point
I think it's more probable than not that they will move the headquarters to Austin officially at this meeting or soon. I'm just saying there are other possible explanations as of now.

I haven’t seen this linked:

Agile at Tesla, by Joe Justice

Joe is apparently a big name in agile, and in this video he details how Tesla does agile. I recommend watching it, there are a lot of details, including how Elon works at Tesla, plus some SpaceX stuff in the end (which is still relevant, as all Musk companies use these methods). The start is a bit slow, and there’s some humblebrag moments.
Thank you for sharing! This answers the question I posed last night about the management process Tesla uses across its business. Wow, just wow.

More people than you think would jump at the chance to not have to live in SV… many are only there for the jobs. The insane COL, taxes, and even the politics can be pretty oppressive.
Some maybe. Some of us stay here for proximity to beautiful beaches, Tahoe, Yosemite, Sequoias, Arts, great food, diversity and culture.

Granted it’s the things you said too; but plenty of people here could leave if they wanted to, but choose to stay.

As with anyplace, you take the good with the bad. I don’t think it was OP’s intent; but I can’t let people trash on California (specifically the Bay Area) without pointing out the oversights.

I don’t think we will see 6 GF in US. Possibly 3 Tera Factories.

One TF is, like Elon said at battery day, more like 10 factories. Austin is that thing. Fremont will be updated and one more location, maybe.

We will see, the future is exciting! Thanks to Elon! 😁
Probably the next two or three large factories will be in new markets, such as Indonesia for batteries, someplace in southwestern China to serve Southeast Asia for energy products and the new China-designed model. There will also be a new GF somewhere, most likely Mexico or Brazil. Also there is high probability of large expansion of the Austin, Berlin and Shanghai locations for a variety of new products. The available land suggests that in all three. Then there will also be a major lantern somewhere in Southern or Eastern Europe.

Multiple US new factories will only happen if US government policies change substantially to encourage Tesla.

Probably the next two or three large factories will be in new markets, such as Indonesia for batteries, someplace in southwestern China to serve Southeast Asia for energy products and the new China-designed model. There will also be a new GF somewhere, most likely Mexico or Brazil. Also there is high probability of large expansion of the Austin, Berlin and Shanghai locations for a variety of new products. The available land suggests that in all three. Then there will also be a major lantern somewhere in Southern or Eastern Europe.

Multiple US new factories will only happen if US government policies change substantially to encourage Tesla.

Once GF Austin, Berlin open .. shouldn't Tesla pause to see at what pace consumption keeps up with production?

Will need to see how GF China volumes are absorbed? New markets - South East Asia (Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia), maybe other Asian countries too?
One thing that was bought up was Tesla is trying to keep China deliveries in line with local competition - so as to fly under the radar. Ultimate backup for China though is to move to the 25K segment - if M3/MY production is more than demand.

Once GF Austin, Berlin open .. shouldn't Tesla pause to see at what pace consumption keeps up with production?

Will need to see how GF China volumes are absorbed? New markets - South East Asia (Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia), maybe other Asian countries too?
One thing that was bought up was Tesla is trying to keep China deliveries in line with local competition - so as to fly under the radar. Ultimate backup for China though is to move to the 25K segment - if M3/MY production is more than demand.
Tesla has zero presence, zero in markets that represent ~40% of global vehicle sales. From much of Eastern Europe, Southeast Asia plus Indonesia and Philippines, Africa, almost all the Middle East, plus all of South America. Brazil alone is typically the 6th largest vehicle market in the world. Tesla will remain supply limited for some years. After that there remains large swathes of North America with minimal Tesla presence. Frankly, they need new factories for Energy Products and Superchargers. After all new Supercharger locations produce Tesla sales.

No Tesla must NOT pause!

Makes sense. That’s why I think there’s no need for more than 3 in US. Based on the estimate from Elon that one GF is like 10 old manufacturing factories. The machine that makes the machines.