Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla has zero presence, zero in markets that represent ~40% of global vehicle sales. From much of Eastern Europe, Southeast Asia plus Indonesia and Philippines, Africa, almost all the Middle East, plus all of South America. Brazil alone is typically the 6th largest vehicle market in the world. Tesla will remain supply limited for some years. After that there remains large swathes of North America with minimal Tesla presence. Frankly, they need new factories for Energy Products and Superchargers. After all new Supercharger locations produce Tesla sales.

No Tesla must NOT pause!
I won't consider the market to be saturated until the Taliban starts bolting 50 cals to Cybertrucks instead of Toyota Hiluxes.

Close friend of mine is in Tesla's management team. Trust me, Austin will be the new world headquarters, and sooner than most people think.

Tesla isn't giving up the Fremont location (like batteries, they will take every factory they can and produce from it). But Fremont will stop being the center of the "Tesla universe" that it once was. This shift was already clearly apparent to anyone that was watching what happened with Shangai, and now soon to be Austin and Berlin.
Elon has spent 4 out of the last 6 days in Austin.

I would say OMG Max-pain is so low but...... there are hardly any Calls to defend.
I am afraid to say it but there is no reason to hold it down IF it wants to run.

View attachment 717228

As if nobody wants to risk getting their shares called away below $1000.
Like me, I closed a couple of december $900 calls a couple of days ago during the latest China scare because I don’t want to risk my shares with all the good news coming.

But there is a limit on the number of new IDRA Gigapresses can make each year (likely required to produce structural packs), so DO NOT hold your breath. Those presses will go first to Models 2/Z factories, then Robotaxi...
I don't think the structural packs will be made by a casting process... I think that they will be a more conventional process for the "box" that contains the cells.

I don't think the structural packs will be made by a casting process... I think that they will be a more conventional process for the "box" that contains the cells.
I think Dodger means, front and rear castings are required to be used with structural packs.

Austin, Berlin and Shanghai will be expanded and IMO all 3 will make Model 3 and one or more 25K models. Even that doesn't get Tesla on to the 20 million vechicles per year run rate without additional factories which typically take 2-3 years to ramp.

Accelerating clean enegy and transport requires a lot of rapid growth.

It is my unsubstantiated hope that the 25K models can use IDRA 4000 series casting machines, IDRA may be able to make them faster, and they may have a faster cycle time.

Last edited:

Yes, thats still TBD, but the imagery provided on Bty Day (to my eye at least) suggests that the plan is for a cast battery box...

EDIT: here's the relevent slide from Bty Day so folks can judge for themselves: :)

BD.SlideDeck.Pg64.jpg

Either way, it does not change the main point which is that 4680s packs are NOT coming to the Model S/X anytime soon.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Yes, thats still TBD, but the imagery provided on Bty Day (to my eye at least) suggests that the plan is for a cast battery box. It seems to me it'll have better structural integrity when integrated with front + rear gigacastings if the center section has a similar construction.

Still, it does not change the main point, which is that 4680s are NOT coming to the Model S/X anytime soon.
What they said was front and rear castings were rewarded to feather the shear force transfers into the pack, and cell cans were part of the structure...

The plan is 4680 structural pack, front and rear castings for Model Y at Austin and Berlin.
Cybertruck might be similar, in both cases, new cells and new vechicle production.

Moving Model S/X to 4680 might not increase vechicle production, even it it does, that would be minor compared to Model Y and Cybertruck volumes.

Reactions: Lessmog
Moving Model S/X to 4680 might not increase vechicle production, even it it does, that would be minor compared to Model Y and Cybertruck volumes.

Lol, you're NEARLY there: Moving Model S/X to 4680 might WOULD DEFINITELY decrease vehicle production, because Tesla would be passing up on a 10 GWh/yr supply of battery cells.

Every three Models S/X made with 100 KWh 4680 packs means that four Models Y could not be built with 75 KWh 4680 packs.

18650s can not be replaced w/o sacrificing other production while Tesla is using every cell they can buy or make.

Ergo, until there is a surplus of battery cells (years from now), THERE WILL BE NO 4680s in S/X.

Last edited:
IMO a factory to make batteries for energy storage in Australia makes a lot of sense, a factory to make cars in Australia is a real long shot..

India is far more likely, not just because of the size of the local market.

As you mention it is a good location for an export hub, but also ahead of Australia on engineering talent and well ahead on local parts suppliers.
Australia closed its car industry a few years ago, parts suppliers also mostly closed, it is hard to reverse that.

What makes India interesting too is the potential (free?) trade agreement between the EU and India. That will probably make India more attractive than China for EU imports (assuming Berlin needs help with demand), also from a shipping time perspective.

Last edited: