Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The ones most vocal have so it seems that way but I think GM fleet numbers showed close to 1/3rd miles driven were on gas. Significant numbers never plugged them in at all.
What he said..... what they all said. Most of my family and friends have hybrids. They NEVER plug them in. Few of them sometimes plug them in. Those few drive somewhere and they use the battery and can't plug them in. Those few turn around drive home and forget to plug them in. I would actually say that 1/3rd of the miles of the few people that actually want to plug them in are electric in the middle states.

Well, the Texas “startup” will exceed the “mature organization” in pretty much all aspects pretty soon. It will be interesting to see what Fremont’s future looks like.
There's 20 years of electric car know-how in Silicon Valley. That's not going to be replicated overnight. If it were quick and easy to replicate the world's greatest EV engineering team, that Tesla has built in Silicon Valley over many years, people wouldn't be paying through the nose to buy TSLA stock.

Show me the data and sure, those charts are pretty easy to make. There are similar things to this already out there but most stop at 2019 and don't go back very far. Getting access to the data can be costly though.
Hmm, that sounds too much like work, besides I’m on island time here. :cool:

However, raising the Dutch East India Company piqued my interest. It’s not something I’ve read much about. So I got a copy of Merchant Kings.

Perhaps there are lessons there for space colonization—in which of course Tesla will have a role, along with SpaceX/Starlink, the Boring Co., and Neuralink. Given our current Western culture’s stubborn refusal (human nature maybe?) to learn from many of history’s lessons, there may be opportunities for those who care to look into them.

Last edited:
There's 20 years of electric car know-how in Silicon Valley. That's not going to be replicated overnight. If it were quick and easy to replicate the world's greatest EV engineering team, that Tesla has built in Silicon Valley over many years, people wouldn't be paying through the nose to buy TSLA stock.

Close friend of mine is in Tesla's management team. Trust me, Austin will be the new world headquarters, and sooner than most people think.

Tesla isn't giving up the Fremont location (like batteries, they will take every factory they can and produce from it). But Fremont will stop being the center of the "Tesla universe" that it once was. This shift was already clearly apparent to anyone that was watching what happened with Shangai, and now soon to be Austin and Berlin.

looking at wolfpack berlin's new video.

Anyone know what the new excavations are for? too early for the start of phase 2?
1633208201784.png

Elon has understood this for a long time. Advanced technologies like autopilot or full self driving or the supercharger network, these are useful for Tesla in the short term because they let the company charge more for its cars. That's important while Tesla is a young company and doesn't have the financial scale of the traditional automakers. But in the long run, every carmaker will have full self driving, 300-500 mile range, and a great charging network. The rate at which EVs improve year over year will slow down and the gap between the best EV (Tesla) and an average EV will narrow. Elon's plan has been to use the financial boost from an early technology advantage to build up Tesla's industrial capability. In the long run, self-driving EVs will be commodity products just like gasoline cars are today. And in a commodity market, the most successful business is the lowest cost producer i.e. the one that is best at efficient manufacturing.

You can see Elon's long-term plan at work in Tesla's geographic decision-making. Their geographic choices are gradually moving along the spectrum from expensive tech hubs to cheaper places. Silicon Valley is the best place in the world for developing advanced technology. But Silicon Valley is a very expensive place to build huge factories. Fremont wasn't picked because it is some great place to mass produce commodity products; the advantage of a plant in Fremont (within Silicon Valley) is to shorten the loop between engineering and manufacturing and improve Tesla's technology edge, in the early days. Austin is Tesla's second* US site. Austin is also good at technology, though not as good at it as SV. Austin is also a really expensive place to build a huge factory, but cheaper than SV. Austin's emphasis will still be tech, but not to the same degree it was in Fremont. Tesla's 3rd site ("Northeast US") is going to be in someplace like Pittsburgh, which has some technical capability but also a long industrial legacy. Tesla's 4th, 5th, and 6th sites are going to be in cheap places with little technical talent like Alabama or South Carolina.

* Ignoring Sparks, which is sort of an offload location for the Silicon Valley site. It seems Tesla uses Nevada to build stuff that requires a lot of square footage but not that many people.

Hmm, that sounds too much like work, besides I’m on island time here. :cool:

However, raising the Dutch East India Company piqued my interest. It’s not something I’ve read much about. So I got a copy of Merchant Kings.

Perhaps there are lessons there for space colonization—in which of course Tesla will have a role, along with SpaceX/Starlink, the Boring Co., and Neuralink. Given our current Western culture’s stubborn refusal (human nature maybe?) to learn from many of history’s lessons, there may be opportunities for those who care to look into them.

So, should I sell my Dutch West India stock or hold it for a few more years ?

PS ordered the book.

Close friend of mine is in Tesla's management team. Trust me, Austin will be the new world headquarters, and sooner than most people think.

Tesla isn't giving up the Fremont location (like batteries, they will take every factory they can and produce from it). But Fremont will stop being the center of the "Tesla universe" that it once was. This shift was already clearly apparent to anyone that was watching what happened with Shangai, and now soon to be Austin and Berlin.

More people than you think would jump at the chance to not have to live in SV… many are only there for the jobs. The insane COL, taxes, and even the politics can be pretty oppressive.

Tesla and SpaceX are the top two destinations for college grads, wherever they go will become a talent hub, similar to how Microsoft and Amazon put Seattle on the tech map… only bigger.

looking at wolfpack berlin's new video.

Anyone know what the new excavations are for? too early for the start of phase 2?
View attachment 717178
Tesla recently got approval for the construction of water storages at Berlin. The site plan (extract below) shows the construction in this area as two water retention basins. One is a "Fire extinguishing water retention basin" and the other is a "Stormwater retention basin".

Berlin Water Basins.jpg

TL; DR: "National Geographic Magazine has published an October edition called "The Revolution Is Here." The cover of the new issue features a convoy of cars, a motorcycle, a train, planes and a quadcopter, led by a Tesla car. This underlines the recognition of the manufacturer by those who are truly focused on nature and the environment."

It is refreshing to see the cover visually portraying the reality of Tesla leading the pack.

Last edited: