Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe a bit OT but I know that all of you are successful in your fields and maybe have some ideas for me.
I work as much as I possibly can (~110-115 hours a week) and invest everything I can into TSLA. Ever since my investing portfolio surpassed the multimillion dollar mark, I moved my goal to 8 figures. I can’t for the life of me, figure out how to get there though. Anyone have any ideas? Real estate and owning a business are the only other things I can think of at this point. But I’m not so sure about either of those.
I know it’s not all about money, and I’m so so grateful for everything I have, but I think…”if so many people in the world figured out how to achieve 8 figures within a few years, maybe I can too.”
Haha makes me think of my ever changing goals too.

I’m 3 years older and have exactly done what you did, worked like crazy the 5 last years, 90-110 hours a week to reach my goals however I have slowed down since my kids started school and now I am more focusing on teaching my kids and playing sports and playing the video games with them just to stay interested and share their inside jokes.

I have surpassed my original retirement goals 3 times already, just focusing on reaching the 8 numbers portfolio but it won’t make me happier. It’s just to stimulate me to read and learn about sellin options and be able to teach as much as possible to my kids when they get older.

Generativity is the last and most important stage of Ericksson levels of psychology. At stage 8, you have succeeded in everything you wanted in your life and that’s the time you start sharing your knowledge and your wisdom with family.

Personally, there is nothing like having fun going for a run with my kids following on their bicycle and they keep asking general questions about life and what they want to do in the future, when they ask me questions, I smile and try to break down reality in little small simple ways to explain them what they need to know to become better humans than I was at their age.

So its been a week with the new Model S long range...

Much to love about the car and man how they have come a long way since my 2012 Model S.

The yoke has a learning curve to to say the least. Can't think of a way it is an improvement. Bit of a party trick but it's fine. They probably will lose some orders solely because of it (not an issue now of course).

The bigger issue was the turn signals on the wheel. Not a good experience, especially for lane changes. Lots of looking for the button and hard to do a soft (one blink) vs hard push (stays on).

So along comes a software update last night and what a change. Now the blinker only has one type of press (stays on) and the frikin' car now senses the completion of the lane change and automatically turns the signal off. Worked flawlessly on my way to work.

Just a small anecdote why this company is so amazing. More shares needed.
I got so used to hitting the turn signal after I finished my turns that I needed to retrain myself to stop doing it after the update. The Yoke took me less than a week to learn and I actually now prefer it over the traditional wheel. The turn signals are still a bit awkward without stalks but nothing that can't be learned. I don't think my parents would be driving this car... Actually even the wife is petrified of the yoke. Good news for me. 😁

The software updates are absolutely among what makes this car company tops in the world.

I've had physical jobs that I was on the clock for 130-140 hours/week and of course commercial fishing can amount to those kind of hours but fisherman don't keep track of work hours. This is very good for investing because the overtime adds up like crazy and it's pretty difficult to spend any money when working that much! How does anyone manage to do it? You need to be energetic and know how to conserve energy and take care of yourself. It helps to be under 40 too. If you do this you will fall asleep within 30 seconds of your head hitting the pillow. Waking up to do it again is a matter of willpower.
Yes I don’t ever remember my head hitting the pillow anymore. Lol.
Having a strong mental willpower and a positive attitude make the impossible, possible. 😊

So its been a week with the new Model S long range...

Much to love about the car and man how they have come a long way since my 2012 Model S.

The yoke has a learning curve to to say the least. Can't think of a way it is an improvement. Bit of a party trick but it's fine. They probably will lose some orders solely because of it (not an issue now of course).

The bigger issue was the turn signals on the wheel. Not a good experience, especially for lane changes. Lots of looking for the button and hard to do a soft (one blink) vs hard push (stays on).

So along comes a software update last night and what a change. Now the blinker only has one type of press (stays on) and the frikin' car now senses the completion of the lane change and automatically turns the signal off. Worked flawlessly on my way to work.

Just a small anecdote why this company is so amazing. More shares needed.
Is it possible to cancel the blinker with tapping it again?

Only reason I ask: TM3 will cancel any blinker by a slight tap on the stalk in the direction of the blinker (i.e. if the left blinker is on and I want to cnx it, I just re-tap down and the blinker is cancelled.

Yes I don’t ever remember my head hitting the pillow anymore. Lol.
Having a strong mental willpower and a positive attitude make the impossible, possible. 😊

At the risk of going OT (ok, it's definitely OT, but it's the weekend and we're on the cusp of blow-out earnings, so everyone should be in a great mood), my best advice is that you have but one go-round in this life and nothing is more valuable than your time and your happiness. I've been guilty of over-working at times, but always tried to make time to try and enjoy life, family and friends. I'm still working, but looking to retire pretty early, thanks in no small part to TSLA. My oldest has graduated college and is in the process of moving out on her own (just today she signed a lease for her apartment in NYC) and it really strikes a chord - where the heck have the past 22 years gone. We still have two more kids at home but they won't be home forever. It really makes one think. No matter how big your investment portfolio, you'll never have enough money to buy back lost time.

Find a hobby or cause you are passionate in. Make that a focus of your life. You're already uber successful. Money is but a number. All your needs and wants are taken care of for life because you had the foresight to invest in TSLA.

Travel - it's a big and fascinating world and it's really worth exploring. Retire early and see the world. You hopefully have a nice long life ahead of you, but take nothing for granted.

My favorite quote - and one that I've tried to live my life by (well, at least the last 10 years or so):

“I don't want to get to the end of my life and find that I have just lived the length of it. I want to have lived the width of it as well.”
― Diane Ackerman

Godspeed and now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Maybe a bit OT but I know that all of you are successful in your fields and maybe have some ideas for me.
I work as much as I possibly can (~110-115 hours a week) and invest everything I can into TSLA. Ever since my investing portfolio surpassed the multimillion dollar mark, I moved my goal to 8 figures. I can’t for the life of me, figure out how to get there though. Anyone have any ideas? Real estate and owning a business are the only other things I can think of at this point. But I’m not so sure about either of those.
I know it’s not all about money, and I’m so so grateful for everything I have, but I think…”if so many people in the world figured out how to achieve 8 figures within a few years, maybe I can too.”
Slow down and smell the roses. You are doing amazing!

“Credit Suisse’s October 2020 report showed an individual net worth of $1,295,825 (US$1 million) – combined income, investments and personal assets — will make you among the world’s 1 per cent of richest people.”

You are already in the top one percent globally. And you sound young. If I am correct then then you are probably in the 0.1% globally of your age group. Rich people tend to be old people (and as I recently postulated, old people tend to SUCK). They have had the advantage of time and compound interest. You are on the same path to achieving great wealth as you become sucky 😆.

But that work schedule is extreme. I do not know what you do but burn out is real possibility.

Elon does it but he somehow seems to find time to party. I don’t know how. I hope you are as well.

More important that the random money goal totals that you float in front of yourself is that your everyday existence is dedicated to something you love or enjoy. You are already in a special place financially. Don’t ignore the rest of what life offers.

BTW, real estate and businesses are definitely great paths to further wealth building. If business, then find an angle. Look to make money where no one else is. I know that sounds cliche, but otherwise you face huge competition and margin compressions. And if you do open up a business, there is nothing better that being your own landlord! Tax breaks are great and you never get forced out by the rising rents, that’s for sure!

Ever since my investing portfolio surpassed the multimillion dollar mark, I moved my goal to 8 figures. I can’t for the life of me, figure out how to get there though. Anyone have any ideas?
Become the speaker of the house and carry on trading.. ;)

In other news, Lorena tried to hide someone’s reply.. sounds guilty as hell

Last edited:
But I would expect Elon personally moving to Texas would be quite helpful to his personal tax situation.

I've held the belief for some time that this is a factor in the decision to not do another share dividend until the last of his tranches have vested. Then, 10:1

ELMe39LU0AAd4CR.jpg

Right now, we're all playing musical chairs.

Cheers!

Regarding, yesterday's meeting: Me thinks, Elon now is a master of sandbagging. They did not show anything flashy on purpose. Just wait, they will do it at the right moment.

There is no evidence that Tesla sandbags - they have repeatedly given the most optimistic timelines for things, and occasionally they hit them, but often don’t (Just like yesterdays confirmation at the meeting that some models would actually be arriving in volume in 2023 now, and one of those was first unveiled in 2017!).

Some of the audience questions were truly awful, and those questioners should take some of the blame for there not being extra useful info from the meeting (Whoever asked about an off-world tesla manufacturing plant needs to be banned from future meetings).

Besides we just had Tesla announce they were going to build fricken AI powered robots, plus detailed a ground breaking supercomputer for AI training designed in-house, just 6 weeks ago, and people are already impatient for more “flashy”?

I think Elon is highly convinced they need fewer factories than previously estimated.
For what is the limiting factor for factory productivity?

If some of the key limiting factors are a combination of high yield, high quality, low (unit) cost factory equipment, then a bot could be the new piece that makes all the other pieces than n percent more effective. By its nature, a bot is a combination of equipment and human capabillities.
A bot can be viewed as either a highly adaptable piece of equipment, producing a predictable amount of predictable precision units of work. Or as a highly specialized human, working in concert with a set of specialized tools, also producing predictable units of work.
Or both.

What if the Tesla Bot is not only an option play, based on the strength of the AI stack, but also and truly the new building block of the future Tesla factories?
Anywhere you own space, you can roof it, put in some standard production equipment, (maybe) enclose it and drop in 5-50 robots, and some unknown number of real, human workers to manage them and help out when they get stuck - now you have a micro-factory.
Want a bigger factory? OK - scaling up is seamless.

Elon may very well have a strong hunch that Tesla can crank up production yield of existing giga-factories *with* bots and also utilize ordinary factories whereever they may happen to be optimally placed, or a bargin - or both.

The Tesla Bot is a force-multiplier: It makes all future Tesla factories more efficient.
By how much is yet unknown. But as Elon says: The rate of improvement is really important. And I think the rate will be high.

The Tesla Bot may be the crucial building block for the alien dreadnought.

So, instead of only building more buildings and equipment, Tesla is starting to build the most adaptable and flexible factory equipment they can think of: Bots.

Imagine Elon thinking:
OK, so building new factories is time-consuming and boring. And gives the competitors and opponents ample chance for playing obstruction games on their own turf (Berlin).
So just invent a kind of factory with extreme scalabillity, which can be put into operation quickly: A collection of bots.
Done. Next.

Some play checkers, some play chess, some play Go.
Some invent new pieces, and play bigger and better games. And win.

Yes, its a brave new world.

tumblr_mq5t64WpV51qkhhhso1_500.gif

I, for one, welcome our broomstick overlords. :p

Cheers!

Reactions: UCF3
I've held the belief for some time that this is a factor in the decision to not do another share dividend until the last of his tranches have vested. Then, 10:1

Can you explain the reasoning you think that's relevant?

Being vested or not has no tax implications whatsoever for Elon- only the exercise of the options causes a taxable event.

Further-he routinely waits until they're about to expire before exercising at all... which if your claim were true would mean it'd be over 10 years before the next split.

For another, I can't think of what he'd get out of waiting for any given tranche to do anything in this regard? This is his second set of options tranches he's in now (having vested 9 out of 10 from the 2012 plan previously with the 10th likely never vesting)....and he's likely to have another set of tranches offered to him once he's done with the current set fairly soon.

• Informative
Reactions: Lessmog and Paul_SF
2 jobs, versatile skills (clinical, where I can work anywhere in the hospital, and retail), live within 10 minutes of both jobs, enjoy my work, and last but not least…used to fully functioning on ~4-7 hours of sleep every night lol 😊

Big investment firms have individualized services for high net worth individuals, and for Professionals like Doctors, etc.

In my experience, one of the smartest things you could do is to seek out the advice of these services, then post the resulting financial plan on your refrigerator in large print so that you NEVER EVER DO ANY OF THAT.

You're welcome, in advance. ;)

Cheers!

There is no evidence that Tesla sandbags - they have repeatedly given the most optimistic timelines for things, and occasionally they hit them, but often don’t (Just like yesterdays confirmation at the meeting that some models would actually be arriving in volume in 2023 now, and one of those was first unveiled in 2017!).

Some of the audience questions were truly awful, and those questioners should take some of the blame for there not being extra useful info from the meeting (Whoever asked about an off-world tesla manufacturing plant needs to be banned from future meetings).

Besides we just had Tesla announce they were going to build fricken AI powered robots, plus detailed a ground breaking supercomputer for AI training designed in-house, just 6 weeks ago, and people are already impatient for more “flashy”?

Yep, this is just my opinion. Might turn out to be nothing.

If there were any evidence, it'd not be much of sandbagging.

Maybe? Just putting in a low limit does not cause a sale at that price, it's always at market (bid/ask) with a not-for-less-that this price criteria. The order volume would need to be high enough to burn through the bid list to get down to that price.
Execution at the best bid/ask is only guaranteed during normal market hours. In the pre and post market hours, you are not guaranteed the best bid/ask. It looks like the trades you guys were discussing were in the pre-market. Not all of the ECNs where trades take place after market hours are fully connected after hours and some of them also can have strange behavior and their is no legal obligation of brokers to provide best execution when the market is closed. Generally when you enable outside-market-hours trading with your broker, they disclose this risk to you.

Many years ago in the early days of ECNs I wrote software to scan the order books of several ECNs that were not cross-connected (most actually weren't in the late 90's). The REDI book in particular had a peculiar characteristic where it would not execute across it's own book if one side was an odd lot (not integer multiple of 100 shares). The Island ECN (ISLD) would always execute any size or fraction thereof in it's book. One day my scanner found 56 shares of JDSU on REDI that someone must have fat-fingered to sell at $100/share below the close, and a more than matching amount on ISLD at the regular price. I bought those up instantly and sold them on ISLD within a few seconds, for a quick riskless > $5k day trade. It was my best day of "garbage collection" ever but most days I could still make between $100 and $200 nearly riskless arbitrages across different ECNs with ~20 or so trade opportunity that popped up each evening in the after hours market. Those were the days.