Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They have factories full of robots and stamping machines already, few are building entirely new factories and they dont want any piece of 'risky' new techniques.

While Tesla is looking at it with fresh eyes, modern technology, and first principles thinking, OEMs are on their Nth iteration of a 100+ year old process

Last edited:
Random Saturday night question:

Can Tesla buy SpaceX?

Unlikely. Tesla would have to vote on this like the solarcity deal, spacex shareholders would have to vote on this (OK elon owns controlling stake but..). And then there is a price agreement, SpaceX is worth $100bn+ now. So there would have to be quite a cash+shares deal etc.

And theres no reason for it, Elon wouldnt vote for it he doesnt want Spacex listed publicly which this essentially would do.

Holes are for the structural epoxy to flow through.
You can see an adhered plastic piece at each sets of cell contact. This provides positive separation and keeps all bus bars in alignment post stamping.
@22522 Correction to my post, there is plastic everywhere except at the cell contacts. Still looks like it holds things in alignment
SmartSelect_20211009-223040_Gallery.jpg

I see lot of quotes on factory times or KPI (Key Performance Indicators) without much reference to units. In manufacturing operations there are 3 important time KPI's to understand the productivity of a factory. I see many quotes without explaining the units. Glad Elon clarified.

1. Cycle time (CT) - Takt Time - The time it takes between each product coming off the line. Typically around 1-2 min for most auto factories. Can be decreased by adding more tools and equipment. Easy to back into the capacity of a factory if you know the cycle time and the working pattern. (how many hours per week the factory is operation). Bottle and can manufacturing is the leader here....typically a bottle/can factory will run at 120/sec, this is why Elon wanted to emulate them for the 4680 batteries.

2. Manufacturing Cycle Time (MCT) - Actual clock time it takes from the start of a product until it is finished. This is more of an inventory measurement. If the MCT is 7 days and your cycle time (CT) is 1 hour your inventory work in progress is approximately 7 x 24 = 168 units assuming a 24/7 operations. Processes that tie up a lot of inventory (i.e. curing paint, drying, battery formation etc) can greatly increase MCT.

3. Labor Time/Unit - This is the actual labor time per unit. Pretty easy to calculate. If you produce 1000 per day and you have 100 people working a 10 hour day the labor content is 1 hour per unit. 1000 hours/1000 products = 1 labor hours/unit. This is usually the most important KPI when discussing the productivity of any factory

When the VW CEO quoted 10 hours for Tesla I am still not sure if he meant number 2 or 3 above. 10 hours for either would be world class for an auto factory.

There are many other measures but if you are talking to an operations guy these 3 will be top of mind when discussing any operation.

My entire career was in manufacturing, thought it would helpful to clarify these measures as I see a lot of people throwing out numbers without explaining.
As reference, Toyota takes 18hrs to make a a car from start to finish. 10hrs is bonkers, it's not just a little bit faster. Now we see where them operating margins comes from.

Elon has no interest in letting SpaceX be publicly traded and let it go through what Tesla went through. Do we really need SpaceXQ? No. We don't. I would rather SpaceX remain privately held so Elon and company can do their work in peace. Tesla was only taken public because at the time Elon had no other choice, he needed the funding and the stock market is the largest capital market.

Elon has plenty of resources now, so there is no reason to take anything public unless he thinks it's auxiliary to the mission. So Starlink can go public because it's not needed specifically to transition the world to sustainable energy or establish humanity as a multi-planetary species. Maybe one day Neuralink and Boring Company could as well. But I don't expect SpaceX to go public until the Mars colony is established, just as Elon has already previously stated.

/S
see, you don’t understand the ginormous ‘bimmer’/BMW grills
the vehicles are actually electric 20-40 years from now and the mostly sole purpose is to drive around, gulping air and sequestering CO2 from the atmosphere and through a mysterious process, “pooping” out ?limestone”? or something with the CO2 tied up, or perhaps “char’ that can be buried, or “buckyballs”, 60 carbon atom spheres or sheets of fullerenes, or diamond crystals
/S

I tend to think of this in the form of, “Can Tesla be a pre-IPO investor in StarLink?”
Assuming Starlink is valued around $100B in a couple of years when it IPOs , and assuming it decides to sell around 20%; I would personally love it if Tesla bought 10% of Starlink for $10B.

A great way to invest some of the cash that Tesla will be throwing off, and a great way to continue rewarding Tesla shareholders.