Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It will be amazing if Tesla manages to avoid the chip issues, but other supply chain and finished vehicle shipping still will be. huge issue this quarter.
Here is my logic on finished vehicle shipping: If production is down at every OEM, that frees up car carriers and RoRo ships for Tesla.
What's wrong with that logic? What could cause vehicle shipping constraints when demand for carriers and RoRos are down?

Here is my logic on finished vehicle shipping: If production is down at every OEM, that frees up car carriers and RoRo ships for Tesla.
What's wrong with that logic? What could cause vehicle shipping constraints when demand for carriers and RoRos are down?

"Port congestion is still very much with us. Not just at one or two ports. And not just on the West Coast. Of the nation's 10 busiest ports by volume, it is estimated that at least seven face congestion regularly. The causes are varied and complex -- labor disruptions, cargo surges from big ships, infrastructure needs, marine terminal productivity, and equipment shortages, among other causes."​

Last edited:
Many moons ago (last century) I had the pleasure of porting compute intensive engineering analysis software to many of the advanced HPC architectures of the time (Cray etc). They were a mixture of SIMD (single instruction multiple data) and MIMD (multiple instruction multiple data) hardware. I rewatched the Dojo section of AI day yesterday and was 'triggered' by the slide showing the results of Dojo training miniGPT. Some extremely lucky person (people?) is most likely currently engaged on tuning the training algorithms to work efficiently on this new architecture on the 'bench' rig they currently have whilst the operational system is being built. For people in the field it just doesn't get any better than that.

I can only reiterate what James Douma said several months ago 'guys working at the leading edge will move to Tesla just to be able to work on this hardware'.

I am sure this is also true for the guys at Tesla working in vehicle design, onboard software, manufacturing, enterprise planning systems, and battery development, and this just reinforces what has been said many times on this thread about Tesla's ability to attract the best talent being their largest competitive 'moat'.

P.S. for the other 'oldies' here, who remembers the Apollo computers buzz phrase 'the network is the computer'. Dojo is this writ large.

This is the next step in a Tesla partnership we've first heard about back in March:

Here's the October update on the signing of the nickel supply contract:

Its especially encouraging to see this nickel mine is retiring its coal power plant and going solar:

"Prony will also choose in December a partner to develop a new electricity plant for the site to support a goal to halve its carbon emissions by 2030 and become carbon neutral by 2040, Beurrier said.​
"The future power plant will be solar-based and replace a current coal-fired installation, he added."​

Cheers!

I found this tweet in relation to the news that VW will have to lay off up to 30.000 workers:

1634121797454.png

The article itself is paywalled, so I can't verify it, but it's news to me that VW is considering casting bodies from one piece.
The whole thread is very informative.

Reactions: st_lopes
I didn't see this posted. Looks like some significant support for the UAW addendum in the EV bill.

Is that not basically a direct statement that UAW leads to an uncompetitive enterprise? I'm surprised he wasn't a bit more clever with this and frame it as simply supporting unions which are platonically good things not to be questioned because of how much they did for labor back in the 1890s.

But let's work with the premise. It seems to me $4500 far exceeds the actual assembly costs, If it's 100 combined man-hours that's 45$/hour. Does anyone have a better estimate for how much actual UAW labor is required per vehicle?

This continues to be an absolutely absurd estimate. At let's say an average of $8,000 that's predicting ~2m uses of this subsidy over 10 years. seriously wtf?
100 house members is less than half the democratic membership. I'd say that is the kiss of death. I'm not going to be surprised to see almost all the EV credit gone.

100 house members is less than half the democratic membership. I'd say that is the kiss of death. I'm not going to be surprised to see almost all the EV credit gone.

I don’t have a clear benchmark either way since this wasn’t an explicit yea/nay vote of all involved. But I think it more likely that neutral members on the topic would allow it to pass through to final vote without explicitly joining this particular letter. Just my intuition.

Here are two pieces of information previously communicated, but here right beside each other.

First: Spending on R&D compared to advertising per car for several major automakers:
FBhuV81XEAUV4EQ.jpeg

Next: Safety testing that goes beyond the minimum requirements as defined by standard tests. In some companies the goal is good enough. Tesla seems different. Safety testing is well explained here.

Many here will look at the image and the video and say "the decision is obvious."

Some not here will think, "I need collateral support for my decision. The chance of a wreck is low. I am going for the company that put the oil covered BMW bumper in a bed at the Super Bowl!"

Elon is appealing to those people directly with the Bezos tweets, at a much lower cost.

Edit: there was a tweet link above and other information from this thread... so this is a credited meta study. Nothing new except the two items closely communicated.

"Port congestion is still very much with us. Not just at one or two ports. And not just on the West Coast. Of the nation's 10 busiest ports by volume, it is estimated that at least seven face congestion regularly. The causes are varied and complex -- labor disruptions, cargo surges from big ships, infrastructure needs, marine terminal productivity, and equipment shortages, among other causes."​

... which is why Tesla is shipping cars to Southern Europe through the Port of Trieste now.

Improvise. Adapt. Overcome. The Mission is all-important.

Cheers!
The traditional TMC authority on Europe/UK shippings is @Mr Miserable in this thread
Posts there discuss use of Kotor as a new and seemingly smooth port serving Italy, Eastern Germany, Austria etc. There is no mention of Trieste that I can find, but of course Kotor and Trieste are nearly contiguous anyway.

Kotor has become a significant vehicle destination from Shanghai, not for Tesla until now.

The overall point is that Tesla Shanghai is trying hard to find any way to minimize Shanghai port delays, including use of new berths there. Tesla has been recently using every less-clogged port they can find. of course that includes workarounds for the impossibly backlogged port of Los Angeles/Long Beach, which impedes parts and vehicles.

Thus far it seems Tesla is the only major manufacturer of anything that has not had major stoppages, partly because they seem to have almost superhuman logistics management. Supplier problems are obviously mounting.

The traditional TMC authority on Europe/UK shippings is @Mr Miserable in this thread
Posts there discuss use of Kotor as a new and seemingly smooth port serving Italy, Eastern Germany, Austria etc. There is no mention of Trieste that I can find, but of course Kotor and Trieste are nearly contiguous anyway.

Kotor has become a significant vehicle destination from Shanghai, not for Tesla until now. Thus several seemingly well informed people think Teslas have been arriving through Kotor also. However I have no proof of that. The Tesla store in Ljubljana probably knows what ports are being used, since they are by far the closest Tesla store to either fo these ports, I have been there but have no contacts there.

The overall point is that Tesla Shanghai is trying hard to find any way to minimize Shanghai port delays, including use of new berths there. Tesla has been recently using every less-clogged port they can find. of course that includes workarounds for the impossibly backlogged port of Los Angeles/Long Beach, which impedes parts and vehicles.

Thus far it seems Tesla is the only major manufacturer of anything that has not had major stoppages, partly because they seem to have almost superhuman logistics management. Supplier problems are obviously mounting.

You're right! I corrected my post #295,201 upthread already.

Trieste is 26 km north of Kopor, so that's the general area. Big advantage is it saves ~6 days vs shipping time in transit to Zeebrugge, and if the cars are being delivered in Italy, Austria, or surrounding countries the road shipping costs will be less as well.

Tesla is brilliantly navigating these logistics challenges. Literally. :D

Cheers!