Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ordered. Have been waiting ages for the Y to come to the UK
View attachment 721736
This is the exact specification that we test-drove the last weekend - Tesla gave us the car Saturday afternoon, I dropped it back Monday morning

Although the wife ultimately decided she preferred the M3 - purely because it's a smaller car - I can report that the MY is a perfect car for a small family, 1 or 2 kids, or someone wanting good practicality. The trunk is ENORMOUS, really, and yet the thing handles extremely well, not quite as good as the M3, but close, with nice sharp steering (I found myself constantly over-steering because I'm so used to my XP tank)

You'll absolutely love it!

I see GJ is down grading his living expenses.
I presumed the deer head and the bad art got repo'd
{Mod: Stop re-posting this expurgated garbage}. Noooo. did I really got transported to the Bizarro world o_O
He gets less than no credit for insinuating that any good numbers are the result of straight-up fraud.

...an induction motor is primarily differentiated by the rotor and drive waveforms...

Major motor components: Rotor, stator, inverter (drive electronics), housing, gears.

Not the same motors front vs rear, far beyond swapping a rotor. This teardown video explains how, and why Tesla did it this way:

The Tesla Model 3's Modular Motors

Gears and housing aren't motor components.

Not at all sure why you would believe or repeat Bloomberg's FUD. This sort of thing, coming from Apple's supply chain is notoriously unreliable even if the source is to be trusted. I give it no credence whatsoever. Well, about as much as Jalopnik's reporting on Tesla.
I had some confidence in that report since iPhone 13 delivery is about a month in the US now. At a similar point in most previous launches the latest product was plentiful in stores. I am now being quoted mid-November for mine on the Apple upgrade program. A query with my local store has similar information.

That report did not have the marks of FUD.

I need anti FUD help guys.

There is that financial independance group with a long standing member spreading constantly FUD about Tesla. He has been doing that over more than 3-4 years. He has shifted the view on Tesla for many Canadian MDs in the group over the years and has been bashing Tesla in the group of 10,000+ MDs. He has been praised as one the best investor over the years and the majority have been listening to his investment advices. He is deeply invested in oil and has just moved all his assets offshore because of the upcoming raise in capital gains from. Canadian government.

I have been enduring his anti-Tesla posts for couple years know but now it has reached a point of non sense that needs to be adresses. What approach would you recommend to counter his FUD? https://m.facebook.com/comment/repl...mention&notif_id=1634257519434959&ref=m_notif

He keeps linking CNN articles and his main arguments is that Chinese EV manufacturers bill beat Tesla price and quality and that nobody wants to own specifically a Tesla, that people want to own EVs and that’s what people are missing. He expects TSLA to reach a peak and collapse, he sold 75% of his position in 2020.
I could not follow the link.
A lot of people think Tesla is overvalued.
Nobody knows the future, so Fear Uncertainty and Doubt seem like logical postures looking forward.
Persuading others is a valuable skill, but what is the motivation?
Emerson (?) almost a Canadian said the best thing to do is provide an example. Be transparent in what you are doing and why.

For me, I know of no better place to put my money.

I don't believe in traditional American business organizations from a social impact or financial performance or product development time perspective. The systems are excuse bound and set up to deliver as little and as late as possible.

I do believe that capital should be used to employ people for the betterment of "society." Make work is not good enough. Customers need to willingly give their money to the company in exchange for what is produced.

Tesla makes products that customers want. And they are trying to do it efficiently with demonstrated success.

I don't know if the price will fluctuate??? I do know the price will fluctuate. I just don't know a more productive place to put capital.

[So after you have gone this far in the fuzzy space of "Companies succeed based on how efficiently they serve society," pivot to "the parameter of interest is ROIC." Then use math. Or, I guess, maths.]

There is that financial independance group with a long standing member spreading constantly FUD about Tesla. He has been doing that over more than 3-4 years. He has shifted the view on Tesla for many Canadian MDs in the group over the years and has been bashing Tesla in the group of 10,000+ MDs. He has been praised as one the best investor over the years and the majority have been listening to his investment advices. He is deeply invested in oil and has just moved all his assets offshore because of the upcoming raise in capital gains from. Canadian government.

I have been enduring his anti-Tesla posts for couple years know but now it has reached a point of non sense that needs to be adresses. What approach would you recommend to counter his FUD? https://m.facebook.com/comment/repl...mention&notif_id=1634257519434959&ref=m_notif

He keeps linking CNN articles and his main arguments is that Chinese EV manufacturers bill beat Tesla price and quality and that nobody wants to own specifically a Tesla, that people want to own EVs and that’s what people are missing. He expects TSLA to reach a peak and collapse, he sold 75% of his position in 2020.
He's so confident of Tesla's demise that he's still HODLing 25%? Says it all I think.

Considering GM's battery reliability thus far, I think there's a strong case for designing with serviceability in mind. They have no other choice. Tesla doing that for the roadster and early S was a good call, not a mistake. The real mistake was taking too long to switch to a cell-to-pack architecture once reliability had improved. Elon said this in an interview a while back, mentioning that this kind of stuff has inertia and they neglected to revisit the premises behind their design rationale. In 2021, Tesla can get away with gluing the cells together and making them structurally integral because their cell reliability and BMS performance is so amazing. This just illustrates the massive advantage of Tesla over GM in pack design.

I agree with the rest of your post except that it may not actually reflect her real opinion if she's just trying to keep her job amidst layoffs at GM and all throughout Detroit auto. I'm surprised she hadn't already left yet in light of her comments two years ago about the crappy culture.
……plus the likelihood that GM PR wrote most of her comments.

Sounds to me like he’s doing all the legwork to create a lucrative market for $TSLA puts. I would become an enthusiastic salesperson of those puts.

Really though, quiet confidence seems like the better alternative to engagement in a situation like that. Embrace the information asymmetry and let money do the talking.

Old news from Sept 29. but don't recall seeing it here.

So while Elon just announced that 10.3 will be out Friday next week for all FSD equipped cars scoring 99/100, GM announced that they are taking away assisted driving completely from their 2022 Cadillac due to chip shortage. Quite a contrast between "competitors".

Old news from Sept 29. but don't recall seeing it here.

So while Elon just announced that 10.3 will be out Friday next week for all FSD equipped cars scoring 99/100, GM announced that they are taking away assisted driving completely from their 2022 Cadillac due to chip shortage. Quite a contrast between "competitors".

Fear not! UltraCruise is coming!

…mumble, mumble, someday, somehow…

Not the same motors front vs rear, far beyond swapping a rotor. This teardown video explains how, and why Tesla did it this way:

The Tesla Model 3's Modular Motors

Gears and housing aren't motor components.
I recently encountered an opinion stating the 3 had an induction motor as the front drive unit. This was not my understanding.

The induction motors require a different rotor and cooling and therefore seals (for coolant) etc that diminish the durability (life). My understanding was that the cooler rotors and therefore lack of active cooling were key in delivering the million mile design life of the 3 drivetrain.

Further, there was discussion of how the cogging of SRPM motors had been overcome to allow replacement of the free-wheeling induction motor feature.

So I am scratching my head a bit trying to make sense of how I could have missed this.

Reactions: petit_bateau
Wow. No configuration at all. No single, dual, or tri motor. I'm glad I ordered a second one just days ago.
Nooooooo. I litteryly had the order page for a trimotor all filled out yesterday but didn’t have my credit card on me and it wouldn’t auto fill like normal. So I thought, I will just put the order in tomorrow (today) when I am at work and have my CC on me.

Edit: looking into it more, sounds like none of the preorders have locked in prices anyways. So I feel a bit better now. Lol. $70k for the tri seems like an absolute steal of a price.

Last edited:
With FSD beta going out to the safest drivers, I think Tesla should keep this up in a way and have raffles every month for free FSD to safest drivers.

Might wanna wait till they improve the score system a bit before you gamify trying to get high scores any more than the beta queue has.

IIRC this launch in Texas is the first time the safety score will actually be used for insurance purposes (it's not legal to use in CA right now)- and Elon has mentioned the score still needs a lot of work.... (and the folks in the Beta queue can tell you the same).

I'd expect rolling it out to "real" insurance users in a big state will allow for fairly rapid improvement to the system- but it definitely needs it right now.