Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
More like the dorky boy analyzing the insignificant gesture from the hot girl.

Rabbit holding a rocket before earnings =bullish

A tweet of a song about a dead gorilla before earnigs= bullish
There is a meme thing going on in twitter where you change what a rabbit is holding and he responded with a rocket. He owns spacex...so....I would just make the simple assumption that he likes rockets.

Reactions: AquaY
Three further ways to promote the mission are 1) what @Jack|1956 and others do: Taking people for a ride in their Tesla. 2) Get people interested in $TSLA. Aligning their financial well-being with the mission makes them fans and that helps. I got one person to HODL so far, and another is on the brink. 3) Politely address FUD on EVs.

I could not afford my 2018 model 3 at the time either so what I did was I bought the car with a loan, then I put it on turo.

I rented my tesla for the 1st year and made over $7,000 to pay for the car loan. I also sold 3 Tesla's while renting! I loved showing people the tesla.

Now, thanks to tesla stock I can buy anything I want.

Last edited:
TSLA Pre-market Volume was 387,191 shares as of 8:05 A.M. EDT

TSLA.2021-10-18.08-00.png

That's some good volume right up in there! ;)

Cheers!

"FORD is to invest £230million transforming one of its UK hubs into a battery plant for electric cars and vans. Bosses aim to make 250,000 EV power units a year at Halewood from mid-2024 in a move that could protect 500 jobs and create another 700. ... Ford is one of the UK's largest exporters"

- This is being widely reported in the UK media this morning.
- They haven't disclosed how much of the £230m (~$300m) is a taxpayer bribe but you can bet it is an embarassingly large slice.
- So in 2024 they might have a battery plant that is at half the scale required to be competitive in supplying one auto-model line at the new minimum competitive scale of 500k cars/yr.
- Which indicates that there will be at least one other battery line in continental EU.
- And most likely there will be no vehicle assy line in UK, just as Ford no longer has one now.
- If Ford is still around to deliver on this effort by then. Or if the UK still exists by then.
Agree - this is not a meaningful investment but rather the dipping of a toe into the water. Tesla announcing $6-8B gigafactories (assuming these numbers are accurate for final costs) is the benchmark I'm using. Unless legacy auto is announcing a full revamp of a specific location that can pump out 500k+ cars a year, this is a headline and not a threat.

"Diess invited Elon Musk to speak at the summit to learn from Tesla’s CEO and gain some perspective. According to Handelsblatt, Diess asked Musk why Tesla was so nimble compared to its rivals.​
"The Tesla CEO replied that it came down to his management style and how he thought of himself. Musk shared that he perceived himself as an engineer, first and foremost, one that has an eye for supply chains, logistics*, and production."​

Cheers!
*My emphasis

In very early 2013 I bought a Model S for cash at $100,000 and I bought $170,000 of TSLA during the year of 2013 (I still have most of it). That Model S was the most expensive car ever! Had I bought stock with that $100k it would be worth something like $8,800,000. That's one very expensive Model S!

Below is my 1st Model S, delivery day March 31st, 2013 (Yep, end of quarter rush). Back then, it was like being a Rock Star! I'd walk out of the market to my car and there would be a crowd of people just staring at it. One guy asked, "How much did you pay for that car?". I replied, "I have no idea, my girlfriend bought it for me" J/K.
View attachment 722684View attachment 722685
So you you’ll probably be worth over a $100 million by 2030 if you just hodl it all until then?

That shows how much more expensive the model 3 was in 2018

Except, it wasn't.

This has been repeatedly debunked.

If you include the tax credits (and the $5000 refund P buyers were offered, or count FUSC as worth that much for those who kept it) the Model 3 was cheaper in 2018 than it is today in net cost to the buyer.

Which is not all that surprising-most of the price cuts on it were in line with the expiring tax credit amounts, and we've had increases since then (with various debates on why, with arguments ranging from preping to gain from new EV credits to demand management to supply chain costs, etc).

As to buying stock vs car- car loans are like 2%, no reason you can't do both (and I did with my 3 bought in 2018)

Nice.

Elon has enough money now that he should build an American -ring style track somewhere scenic here in the US. Only electric cars would be allowed.

He should call it the Bohr ring (orbiting electrons)
A circuit of the Texas Giga property perimeter would be a good size, with Boring tunnels for the highway crossings.

Well, on a direct question at the annual meeting, Elon just said that it wasn't something they planned for now. Not even a week ago.

Also, since they didn't have a vote at the annual meeting on creating more shares it would have to be a 1:1.5 split or something similar.

Still don't understand why they didn't at least create the shares as a threat to the shorters.
I agree that no split is coming soon. Would the vote still need to happen with the shares that Elon needs to exercise soon being freed up and available?

ARK hasn’t sold on this run above 800 yet…that might be coming if they continue following their strategy.

Yeah I expect we hear of sales today and tomorrow. There is a decent amount of front running happening, so I expect a bit of a sell the news event that only gets more likely as we approach 900. The stock will recover quick (3-5 days), but thursday might not be a great day...

I love that Tesla aspires to make manufacturing one of their core strengths. I think it's becoming abundantly clear that the advancement of EVs about much more than just the declining cost and improving performance of batteries. Battery tech is critically important, but so to is discovering every little and big way to produce the whole vehicle with utmost efficiency. While ICE makers may have gone a long ways optimizes every detail of ICEV manufacturing, EVs optimize around around a quite different architecture. Traditional auto makers really do not have much experience optimizing the design and manufacture of EVs. Even if Tesla were to hand their own battery cells to other auto makers, they would no know how to make best use of it. So it's not just the battery tech. It's not something that some auto parts supplier can provide to an auto maker. It's the whole damn EV that must be optimized.

The need to optimize cars for affordability, safety and efficiency of manufacture and operation was there before Tesla, it's just that the legacy automakers had become complacent and lazy. Because they had developed certain volume efficiencies that were barriers to new entrants, and makers tended to have their own niches where they were going to be dominant, it became largely about superfluous differences like styling, name brand associations, convenience features and occasionally minor but largely meaningless innovations like tailgates with built-in steps, more cup holders, minivans with two sliding doors and seatbacks with display screens in them.

The big innovations that would help lower costs substantially for years to come but required big investments were not implemented for the short-term thinking and the quarter to quarter numbers ruled the decisions. It didn't hurt that every other manufacturer was on board - no manufacturer was willing to go there. After all, it was the consumer that paid the price of this stagnation of innovation, not the automakers. They just kept raising the price of the cars. If they were too high people might keep their old cars a couple of years longer but eventually people needed to buy new cars because it gets expensive keeping an old ICE car on the road. The old automakers had outlived their usefulness. They were not even willing to develop electric cars until Tesla forced them to. This is evidenced by the ending of GM's EV1 program.

Even when Tesla forced them to innovate in the electric space and up their game they made certain their EV's were "freak cars" like the Chevy Bolt - once you looked at one of those it was hard to want to go electric when you had a choice. Tesla changed all that and now it's too late for the big makers to re-learn how to innovate. My point is, the lack of innovation had less to do with gas vs. electric and everything to do with entrenched interests using lobbyists to fend off disruptive legislation and becoming fat and lazy when it came to improving their products in substantially meaningful ways.

The job has only started but, as a society, we already owe a huge debt of gratitude to Tesla for bringing real innovation back to one of the largest industries on the face of the earth.

Last edited: