Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fwiw though, Europe has massively underperformed the US and Asia the last ~30 years. While the US has remained about 25% of the global economy since ~1990, Western Europe’s share has declined from 34% to 19%. The last couple decades Europe has been the world’s economic laggard… 14 years after the meltdown real GDP per capita will still be lower in most W.European countries this year than before it.
If life only consisted of economic success.

I'm not a constitutional lawyer, and I'm sure others could disagree, but it seems to me this statement directly allows for taxes on unrealized gains, not apportioned to states. A perfect example of this activity is the bitcoin impairment. Tesla has no taxable event associated with the reduction in taxes for BTC impairment, however there is a negative income effect and therefore a tax effect based on the movement of Bitcoin.

While the Bitcoin treatment is not necessarily a perfect analogy, mark to market treatment of securities seems to be close.

To wit: "Mark to market" or "MTM" is an accounting method where the price or value of a security reflects its current market value. As applied to taxes from trading it means that each security held open at year end is treated as if it were sold at fair market value (FMV) on the last business day of the tax year.

I believe you are reading too much restriction into the definition of income based on the current tax code. There is no reason that a law could not simply define income as "an increase in the value of a publicly-traded security(stock, bond, derivative, etc) as reflected by the current market value of such asset, as of the end of each calendar year."

Why would mark to market treatment of such an asset fail to pass constitutional muster?
I see where you're coming from but the Supreme Court already ruled on this in Eisner v. Macomber, 252 U.S. 189 (1920) and related cases. I'm not a lawyer either but their opinion clearly states that the constitutional amendment for income taxes was intended in the common dictionary definition of the term "income".

To wit, "Mere growth or increment of value in a capital investment is not income; income is essentially a gain or profit, in itself, of exchangeable value, proceeding from capital, severed from it, and derived or received by the taxpayer for his separate use, benefit, and disposal...Here, we have the essential matter: not a gain accruing to capital; not a growth or increment of value in the investment; but a gain, a profit, something of exchangeable value, proceeding from the property, severed from the capital, however invested or employed, and coming in, being "derived" -- that is, received or drawn by the recipient (the taxpayer) for his separate use, benefit and disposal -- that is income derived from property. Nothing else answers the description."

As far as I know from reading about this subject today, there is a long judicial history (dating all the way back to discussions the Founders had in writing the Constitution) about "direct" vs indirect taxes, and a personal tax on individual wealth would cleanly fit the definition of a direct tax whereas corporate earnings taxes would be indirect, making the Bitcoin mark-to-market accounting rule an impertinent point of comparison, because the apportionment clause applies solely to direct taxes.

So I still believe it is absurd to believe that Elon is suddenly going to be required to start selling off his stakes in Tesla and SpaceX due to this federal wealth tax proposal. If the goal is to tax ultrawealthy individuals more in the USA, there exist legal ways of doing it but I feel certain this proposal would be unenforceable if signed into law.

Last edited:
All-time closing high for TSLA :cool:

--5.42% GM
--2.63% F
+1.95% TSLA

Not sure watt's up in the After-hrs, but TSLA surely is: (nearly 20 bucks to $1,057) :D

TSLA.chart.2021-10-27.18-56.After-hrs.Pop.png

TSLA After-Hours Quotes Live​

This page refreshes every 30 seconds.
Data last updated Oct 27, 2021 07:22 PM ET.

Consolidated Last Sale$1054.31 +16.45 (+1.58%)
After-Hours Volume684,239
After-Hours High$1058.87 (07:09:33 PM)
After-Hours Low$1036.25 (04:00:51 PM)

Cheers!

Last edited:
An interesting tweet from Gary Black - the second tweet here too:

Text in tweet:

How will this play out?
Gary Black's last pull out of TSLA in the mid $800s after peaking in January 2021 measured well with the unexpected six month delay of GF Berlin and GF Austin and significant delays with the Model S & X Refreshes. The new GFs are now imminent and the Refreshes are here, so it is a no brainer that TSLA should be back at its ATH now and resume its climb. Another 40% pull back is no longer in the cards, although minor pull backs are normal and can be expected for a healthy market. How will this play out? Gary Black will lose this one and regret his latest pull out of TSLA, and will buy back in at a much higher price than today. Those in TSLA will prosper. That's how it will play out.

Gary Black:

The avg $TSLA WS PT is now $755, -27% below the current price. While not a record, the spread is very wide historically. Analysts with Buy ratings on $TSLA have an avg PT of $990, also below the current price. Analysts don’t normally have Buy ratings with PTs below the price.

I think the point that most analysts with a buy are still <$1000 PT is useful. If these analysts don't want to switch their rating to hold or sell (and they shouldn't because they know the numbers that TSLA will be putting up in Q4 and beyond), they'll have to increase their targets like MS and GS just did. That could solidify the trillion dollar market cap.

Piper Sandler 1300 PT

One, Two and Bingo :D

Should be the site of a teslabot factory at least, in honor of Detroit's most famous resident.

View attachment 726501
Anyone want to take bets on how long it would be until Tesla has one of those walking around the Gigafactory if there was a GigaDetroit?

I give it 6 months......tops. Tesla is a company run by sci-fi geeks after all ;)