Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A postive commentary on Yahoo Finance this morning, talking Tesla $3T market cap is within reach.

1635423654037.png

Thanks for the perspective, appreciated as always.

Mine is different, but not by much:

I certainly find it offensive that the US has a regressive taxation for the uber-rich. I'm willing to discuss how progressive it should be.
Second, you are right to point out that property taxation is to varying degrees on unrealized gains but I would not care to expand that notion. For one, it strikes me as unfair. And second, I suspect that it will reduce the national capitalization if applied to the stock market.

Last, and this is my main objection to the uber-wealthy tax as I read it: it has the potential (likelihood ?) to cause major disruption in the capital markets as these people sell ~ 20% of their assets to pay immediate capital gains. If the taxation scheme was implemented over 10 - 20 years I would find it a lot more palatable. As it is, it smells of a money grab for today, and that is simply bad policy.
Property tax is not a tax on unrealized gains but a tax to support local services. The government still charged me when my house was 100k under water for half a decade.

Thanks for the perspective, appreciated as always.

Mine is different, but not by much:

I certainly find it offensive that the US has a regressive taxation for the uber-rich. I'm willing to discuss how progressive it should be.
Second, you are right to point out that property taxation is to varying degrees on unrealized gains but I would not care to expand that notion. For one, it strikes me as unfair. And second, I suspect that it will reduce the national capitalization if applied to the stock market.

Last, and this is my main objection to the uber-wealthy tax as I read it: it has the potential (likelihood ?) to cause major disruption in the capital markets as these people sell ~ 20% of their assets to pay immediate capital gains. If the taxation scheme was implemented over 10 - 20 years I would find it a lot more palatable. As it is, it smells of a money grab for today, and that is simply bad policy.
Simple solution.

If you are uber rich (pick a number) and you borrow money against your shares you should be taxed on that loan money. The tax paid is preserved as a credit if and when you actually sell the shares.

Forcing owners of hugely successful companies to lose their shares and possibly control of the company through taxation on unrealized gains is not the answer. Forcing them to pay taxes when they choose to access liquidity while preserving their share base is.

Don't understand why they were so willing to float this billionaire tax as a simple deal. It works well as a sound bite. Complicated. Taxing the loans easier.

When he pulled out, i was thinking to myself "Gee...you're gonna buy in at a higher price" and then $TSLA declined and he got back in at a lower price (made him look like a genius) and now its at its ATH. I mean, do we here really care when he pulls out? We just go along our merry way, adding along the way, and then ride the rocket to new ATH's next month, next year, in 2 years, etc.
not that it matters, but when did he sell his position? he still tweets an awful lot about tsla for not being in the game.

Reactions: PokerFJÆS
not that it matters, but when did he sell his position? he still tweets an awful lot about tsla for not being in the game.

It seems like he trimmed on the ~1090 day. Don’t think he sold the entire position like last time.

FWIW I’m trimming as well. Rode from 2018 to a Trillion dollar company. I’ll secure the Roadster and let the rest ride. Still think it goes 10T+.

It Really Is Different This Time
I am often too focused on quarterly results that I fail to see what the annual numbers reveal.
When we hit all-time highs in January, Tesla had just delivered its first fiscal annual profit.
GAAP earnings came in at $721m for 2020. An annual profit was a huge achievement for Tesla.
The company was turning the corner but still had more to prove.

View attachment 726410

But this time . . . . oh this time . . .the numbers have gone Plaid.
The $5.2B in earnings that I expect for 2021, dwarf the 2020 number. Not many companies suddenly grow earnings that quickly.
As we hit all-time highs again, the financial results now have many new investors realizing that Tesla is for real with potential to run much higher.
Performance will continue to amaze. In 2022 I expect GAAP earnings of at least $12B.

View attachment 726411
Right. The SP surge in January reflected a change in public mindset that Tesla would survive rather than go bankrupt. This surge reflects a new public mindset that Tesla will win.

I suspect that this change in public perception not only impacts the SP, but also demand for the product, which was already high. It’s a classic virtuous cycle.

2 weeks back my Jan 23 1700's CC(sold) were sitting on like 80% profits, they are at par today ;)
(Closed 35% of position before the rise & have 800s, 900s that are now ITM based on the 1700 sells .. so no sweating yet.
Adding to 1700 calls had bought average down from 202$, to like 120 and now shows like 69$ after closing 35%).

Time to fight fire with fire, maybe buy some Jan 24 2K+ calls for some upside protection with some shuffling ;) More OTM, more leveraged
& maybe some mid-term puts for some downside protection as well.

If Hertz news causes this spike, wonder what a FSD problem solved would do ....

(+ have lost like 1800 Deltas in past 2 weeks ....)

Last edited:
Toomey protecting broker profits and opaque markets with his dying breath.

Wait til you guys meet his replacement, he's freakin amazing.

View attachment 726618

For someone who constantly complains about OT political stuff you sure do post a lot of OT political stuff.

How can you check on the current wait times for cars in countries other then US (for people living in the US)?
Go onto the order page of the model you want to check. Then click Menu in the top right and down the bottom will be the current country for that page. Click on that and you can change the country and the order page will update for that location showing wait times etc. Once in the order page there will be a country symbol on the top right allowing you to flick between countries.