Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That won't be Tesla's job. But yes, the body shops may need to get trained.

Though, honestly, Cybertruck will suffer damage in a collision less frequently than will, say, an aluminum bodied F-series pickup.

I see a lot of opportunity here for shops specializing in Cybertruck repair. It would probably be a profitable business to franchise a national chain of shops specializing in working with ultra-hard stainless steel.

They could start out by building a line of innovative trailers using the same technology as the Cybertruck and keeping aerodynamics as a driving principle so they are useful as EV trailers over more than a local area. Currently available trailers capable of hauling nearly 14K lbs. are over-weight and do not concern themselves with aerodynamics (almost not at all). A line of two or three stainless steel trailers built to compliment the Cybertruck and using the same technology could probably sell for upwards of $30K/unit for years to come. They would weigh about half of currently available trailers with the same capacity. The low running costs of such a combo would allow heavy/bulky materials to compete more effectively from state to state or over multiple counties (not x-country, just a multiple county area).

You know I could actually afford to buy a Roadster for myself now, but honestly the MY is just better suited for what I need in a car, and I have no desire to own more than one car at a time.

I might be wealthy now thanks to Tesla but I'm still practical at heart. :)
This recent run-up puts my Wrangler TJ EV conversion back in the 2022/23 budget. Now I need to figure out which model Tesla parts would fit best and how to get my hands on one.

Got an immaculate 2006 body sitting in the yard, gonna buy a new aftermarket frame and start from there. I'm thinking maybe mint green or dijon for the paint. Maybe just standard Patriot Blue.

Last edited:
Since I am not a regular here, I'll ask has there been much discussion of Tesla still not having investment grade credit and how when this occurs won't a lot portfolio managers need to buy so maybe they are just buying now because the writing is on the wall and/or hedge funds are front running this like they did the S&P 500 inclusion? I know @Papafox has discussed this on his thread a bit.

Exactly. I'll just add that I started reading books casually about making money in the stock market at an early age, probably around 12 or 14 years (I was interested in just about everything in the world I was growing up in). Before I had invested my first dollar I determined most books on investing are full of flaws.

I'm not sure if I've read William O'Neill's book(s) but I see a BIG problem. He was born in 1933, was the youngest person in 1963 to buy a seat on the NYSE and yet his estimated net worth is only 100 million. If that's accurate, that's a HUGE red flag. If he was a good enough investor to be writing books about it he would be worth billions by now. And this is the flaw with all books on investing I've ever read. People who are actually really good at it tend to not write books about it.
Those who can, do
Those who cannot, teach

Is dash design a marketing expense or an R&D expense?

Some believe that as vehicles become more autonomous the vehicles that win in the market will be the ones that provide the best entertainment venue. A part of that is the sound stage.

Here are pictures of personal preference best non Tesla dash (MB) vs Model 3

Which has more design expense as models permutate?
Which is a better sound stage?
Which would you have more success with if you were responsible for acoustic design?

When the patented slit air duct came out, I thought interesting in a technical way. Wondered if reliability would be improved with aging.

Just now am recognizing it as a huge signal to noise advantage as an entertainment stage.

This vent IP seems like a Tesla advantage during the transition to autonomous vehicles. A gap that will not be closed for 17 years - persistent gap on an important customer experience parameter.

It also reduces the design expense of new vehicles.
View attachment 729175

View attachment 729176

First Mover Advantages are a Function of Number of Variables (Complexity of the new field) and are not a Universal Constant

Executive Summary:

Everyone knows first mover advantages are real, but they value these advantages based on their life experiences - what that have seen. Specifically, how long has it typically taken to close the gap. They treat this delay as a constant (K), as they remember in this fashion, "It takes about this long."

They treat first mover advantages as a Universal Constant, when in fact first mover advantages are not a constant. First mover advantages are a function of the number of variables in the new field - "How many things are changing?"

Considering TSLA first mover advantages, they are in many fields with many parameters. The market has likely underestimated TSLA first mover advantages by a factor of 5. (I like to say "order of magnitude" because it is fun to say, but I think a "half an order of magnitude" is more accurate. Not as fun to say.)

End Executive Summary.

My training is in Mechanical Engineering, after slide rules and before computational fluid dynamics (CFD). A key part of undergraduate was finding the punch card machine that no one knew about under the stairwell, somewhere. Then making sure you double banded the stack of cards, so that you did not drop them and lose the order, on the way to computer hub where you put them in a pigeon hole. They would run the cards and in the afternoon you would get your deck back with some green and white tractor paper with results.

Key point: The difference between Electrical Engineering and Mechanical Engineering is that their math worked. If we were good to 20%, we could use it.

So in experimental fluid mechanics one would write an equation: Answer = f (a,b,c,d,e,f,g, & h), which means "function of" all those variables. Then we would do an experiment that would create families of curves for each of the variables to figure out the answer.

A professor once said, "To get a patent, you don't have to be the smartest. You have to be the first."

Someone said that "patents occur in the fertile ground between two well established fields, as few people know how to work there. It is unexplored."

If you look at TSLA and the Intellectual Property (IP) they have generated while solving the problems that cross many fields to make an autonomous electric vehicle with usefully power dense batteries and heating systems that work, there are a lot of field boundaries (dashboard design included acoustics, air bags, crash safety (front and side crumple), vibration, stiffness, and cooling air distribution, reliability, ID signal to noise for entertainment).

• It is a complex task.
  • Every time you experience a new problem in the new margin between old fields, you create Intellectual Property in patent and process (trade secrets).
  • Manufacturing (Gigapress) has been included in the parameter set (and field crossing set that generates IP).

The market has likely underestimated TSLA first mover advantages by a factor of 5.

Based on IP from being the first, not necessarily the smartest.

Last edited by a moderator:
I totally get how a fund manager might have been underweight TSLA up until last quarter. Most of them had been dismissive of Tesla for a decade, and its market cap must have seemed absurd for a company they thought was unprofitable without regulatory credits.

But now? With margins increasing, they can do the math. Even with very conservative growth assumptions the SP no longer looks untethered to fundamentals. Demand for the product is also demonstrably high. How do you now justify your decision to be underweight? And every day you dither, you are losing out more to your benchmark index.

They have to buy TSLA now. Billions upon billions of it.
S&P Inclusion: The gift that keeps on giving.

Question - would DJIA inclusion involve similar forced buying?

Bollinger bands are useless to me. They are user defined and can be made to say whatever you want. Examples below
BB1.PNG
BB2.PNG

Wow, this is like a dysfunctional family where if you don't talk about it, it's not happening.
Diess is trying to Neoify VW.

I thought Germans were smarter, but they’re not. And they are subject to same human short-sightedness as anyone else in the world.

Worry about job cuts, ignore the fast approaching future that indicates nobody is going to have a job. Do your very best to slow Tesla and prevent them hiring German workers, forcing Tesla to kill you and your workers’ jobs by dropping Chinese worker made cars in your market.

Dumb all day long, every day.