Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey @neroden, I've been in software 25 years, leading up to 50 people, running systems with millions of lines of code, and leading 2nd in the world domain registrar.
And from this experience, I'll tell you, you are judging them too harshly.
I think QA is actually doing bang-up job job considering complexities (knock-knock). That job would keep me up at night.

FWIW, I’ve heard from a trusted source that their QA is pretty weak. Like a developer builds a new version, they throw it on a test car and drive it around a bit and then send it out to EAP weak. Could be different for different groups SW groups within Tesla though.

Here's the order granting the sur-reply motion:

Note the following details:
  • The order is going to pierce through any confidentiality agreement (NDA) the settlement talks might be covered by. We might be able to read those details!
  • 8 pages instead of 10 pages is a usual "please make this short" signal from the judge.
  • The 8 pages limit does not include attachments/exhibits. Elon's lawyers can file as much evidence covering the SEC-broadened scope as possible.
  • Elon's lawyers got the 5 days they asked for: it's 110% probable that they working on a sur-reply and would have attached those arguments to the filing on the 26th anyway. The order allowing them to file today gives those arguments more legal weight in the context of the flow of contempt of court motions.
  • Speculation: the judge permitting this yesterday suggests that she was reading through the case and was checking the scope claims. She ultimately agreed with Elon's lawyers that the SEC's reply brief went beyond scope.
(@TNEVol might concur?)

TL;DR: very positive development IMO, Cramer's trolling of the judge on CNBC didn't have the intended effect of scaring/misleading judge Nathan.
@Fact Checking I'm a bull, but you spin it good every time! (I'm saying this with a smile on my face.) Though seriously, joking aside, I hope you're right. And if you are, and the judge rules in favor of Musk, I'll vote to make you the grand nagus of TMC!

He asked for the 22nd and 10 pages; he got the 22nd and 8 pages. She had no need to grant anything at all.

Regardless, I'm really glad for this - one because it's another opportunity for Elon's team to argue its case and to have "the last word", but particularly because I'm really curious what it is that the attorneys wish to mention regarding their negotiations with the SEC. It may also give us some additional schedule clarity - they might request or waive an evidentiary hearing.

Note the following details:
  • The judge's order is going to pierce through any confidentiality agreements (NDAs) the settlement talks might be covered by. We might be able to read those details!
  • 8 pages instead of 10 pages is a usual "please make this short" signal from the judge - in fact she could easily have added other restrictions but didn't.
  • The extra 2 pages are not really missing: if Elon's team really needs more space they can squeeze more arguments into footnotes. It's also common to ask for a bit more, expecting not to get the full filing length.
  • The 8 pages limit does not include attachments/exhibits. This is important: Elon's lawyers can file as much evidence covering the SEC-broadened scope as they want to.
  • Elon's lawyers got the 5 days they asked for: it's 110% probable that they were working on a sur-reply this week already, and would have attached those arguments to the filing on the 26th anyway. The order allowing them to file today gives those arguments more legal weight in the context of the flow of contempt of court motions.
  • Cramer's attacks against Judge Nathan on CNBC didn't have the intended effect of scaring/misleading her.
  • Elon's tweets to Cramer yesterday might also have had an effect of highlighting the connection between Cramer and short sellers.
  • Speculation: the judge permitting this yesterday suggests that she was reading through the case and was checking the scope claims. She ultimately agreed with Elon's lawyers that the SEC's reply brief went beyond scope.
  • While the SEC already indicated that they don't think an evidentiary hearing is necessary, they might reply again on the 26th in light of any extra evidence filed by Elon's lawyers today.
(@TNEVol, do you concur?)

TL;DR: very positive development IMO, the best possible outcome for this procedural step.

Last edited:
@Fact Checking I'm a bull, but you spin it good every time! (I'm saying this with a smile on my face.) Though seriously, joking aside, I hope you're right. And if you are, and the judge rules in favor of Musk, I'll vote to make you the grand nagus of TMC!

Note that her order to grant a sur-reply is only proof that Judge Nathan is a fair and careful judge - it gives no signal whatsoever about which direction she might be leaning. Even if the SEC's reply motion was legally out of scope (it clearly was), this has no effect on their chances to prevail if they are right.

But the fact that the SEC filed their reply out of scope is a voluntary signal of SEC weakness of course: typically litigants only do that when their first filing is so deficient that they rather risk the judge raising an eyebrow and granting a sur-reply motion.

We also know that @Anton W was wrong, as usual, when he suggested on Seeking Alpha that Judge Nathan won't grant the sur-reply motion.

(All just speculation, not a lawyer, not advice, trade carefully, etc.)

Last edited:
Not sure whether this was posted yet, but Elon wrote an email to Tesla employees yesterday:

"For the last ten days of the quarter, please consider your primary priority to be helping with vehicle deliveries. This applies to everyone. As challenges go, this is a good one to have, as we've built the cars and people have bought the cars, so we just need to get the cars to their new owners!

What has made this particularly difficult is that Europe and China are simultaneously experiencing the same massive increase in delivery volume that North America experienced last year. In some locations, the delivery rate is over 600% higher than its previous peak! This was further exacerbated by supplier shortages of EU spec components and a sticker printing error on our part in China that were only resolved in the past few weeks.

North America is also stressed, as the final month of this quarter is almost all North America builds. Moreover, for the first two weeks of March most cars were sent from our factory in California to the East Coast to ensure arrival before the end of the quarter.

The net result is a massive wave of deliveries needed throughout Europe, China and North America. This is the biggest wave in Tesla's history, but it is primarily a function of our first delivery of mass manufactured cars on two continents simultaneously, and will not be repeated in subsequent quarters.

To help, please contact Sanjay Shah in North America, Robin Ren in China and Ashley Harris in Europe."​

New info that I can see:
  • There was an EU component shortage, apparently resolved.
  • Elon expects a record quarter (!!).
  • Almost all of March production is for North America - this would suggest 30k+ units, in line with Alpha Hat estimates.
Obviously bullish news.

Yes, but he was trying help the Flint lead poisoning victims with as little publicity as possible: him going there in person would be entirely unnecessary, and would only be seen as a PR stunt.
Tinfoil hat time: Flint water activity might be a coverup to give him or his people excuse to show up there without attracting too much attention.

Cramer's attacks against Judge Nathan on CNBC didn't have the intended effect of scaring/misleading her.
Cramer is a secret bull. When the judge took too long to decide in the sur-reply Musk called up his buddy Jim to talk *sugar* about her. 4D chess right there.

Flight destination is Flint Bishop Airport (FNT):

The airport is just 2 miles away from GM's Flint factories: assembly, engine factory, etc.

There's nothing else there that would attract Elon's private plane, AFAICS.
The previous flight was 16 minutes across LA. Did Elon do that to avoid LA traffic from his home to SX headquarters.

• Funny
Reactions: saniflash
Sadly, they laid off a bunch of U.S. Delivery employees in January, due to the sales focus on Europe, but despite the recent email to out focus on deliveries, I doubt they have been able to re-hire those folks (and perhaps they didn't try)
If you’re referring to the rumored cut of Las Vegas team, I think they are delivery coordinators/firefighters, which probably means Tesla automated/simplified part of communication process and things are going smoother now.

Reactions: Esme Es Mejor
From Elon’s explanation on Twitter, it’s not a lottery. Goes in order of number of referrals, with that number locking to 0 for someone who gets it.
Unfortunately not a lottery. It would be fun to see Elon hand-pick the winning VIN from a giant barrel with balls containing the vin. And every month they would need a bigger barrel. Soon they would need a swimming pool. I can already see Elon diving inn a pool of balls and pick the winning balls. That would be a youtube hit!