Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven't checked Spiegel's account for a long time on twitter, but today I found this - Mr. toothbrush blocked me. Interesting that I am not that active on twitter. I just post sometimes replies to tslaq posts, to remind them that they might be wrong.

upload_2019-3-22_17-15-42.png

I haven't checked Spiegel's account for a long time on twitter, but today I found this - Mr. toothbrush blocked me. Interesting that I am not that active on twitter. I just post sometimes replies to tslaq posts, to remind them that they might be wrong.

View attachment 389214
You must be on some list. That's how I normally get blocked on twitter by people I've never interacted with.

Not sure if anyone else has pointed this out, but Flint is also the town with the drinking water contamination where Musk donated 500k and got 12 school buildings safe water.

He could be just there to get an award or meet officials/citizens.

Tough a GM truck or drivetrain deal would be sweet.
Were he going to GM HQ he'd go to DET rather than Flint. OTOH there is Water Day.
Water giveaways in Flint Friday for 'World Water Day'

• Informative
Reactions: neroden and EinSV

View attachment 389214

I replied to maybe two of this fellows posts before being blocked. He doesn't seem to appreciate being confronted with facts.

• Informative
Reactions: tracksyde
Musk visits an elementary school in Flint:

Elon Musk visits Doyle Ryder Elementary in Flint

In addition to announcing existing and new donations to the school system (including giving every kid a computer), so far I've seen him give kids a ride in a Tesla, made a Model X dance for them, and announced that he's going to be giving kids a free trip to SpaceX - two 6th graders and two 7th graders from every school in the district.

Love how the guy from the school who's acting as the announcer is wearing an Occupy Mars shirt :) And all the kids got SpaceX T-shirts :)

Multiple call lotto tickets die a slow death as a result, but honestly- I'm more happy to read about this visit.

In the long term- Elon is inspiring big number of kids to follow STEM education and make a real difference in the world.
Showing that you can be filthy rich and not be a selfish prick is also a good example.

Simple question from an ignorant:
we are flooded with a stream of good news from Tesla. Demand in Europe is great (Norway is flabbergasting), new markets are opening, Model Y, Semi and Roadster in stealth mode, China GF3 looking good, Supercharger 3, possibly S/X refresh, bond dept paid in cash, Maxwell aquisition, ships travelling all over the world for EOQ rush, even Solar Roof and Powerwalls seem to be in the right track...

AND YET

SP is low, SEC affaire creates uncertainty, FUD is at peak high. I have no doubt that there is a well-funded coordination behind this, but the question is really:
what are they trying to accomplish? is there some goal aside FUD per se and a low SP? Are they trying to push a long squeeze? Can they achieve it?

It doesn't seem that Tesla is in need of capital, so the Chanos Fairfax playbook can't be replicated. Unless I'm missing something.

My thought: playing with the SP hasn’t hurt the company, now that they’re self funding. So now we get people shifting gears(ha!) and going after the potential customers. Get enough people afraid of buying a Tesla and you can sink the company.

LOL!

Karen, I think I speak for many many people here when I say that you have moved to the top of my list of people I'd love to hang out and have a drink with! Too funny.

Dan
I agree. Most likely I'd like to just listen to her talk and think. I always learn from her posts. Given one of her recent odd disclosures I think she might be on a quest to save mankind, so she might really be:
Dors Venabili

Maybe I have higher standards because I worked on free software, rather thsn the half-baked crap which passes for commercial software since 1990... :shrug:

Still, if you are a paying company and volunteers are making you look bad, you are doing a crummy job IMO.

It is easy to have that kind of misconception isn't it. Like people always say "kids these days...".

Thanks to the progress we made in formal specification and model checking, together with development of modern programming languages and frameworks, quality of critical software components are getting better not worse, despite of what you see on the news. There are more bad news simply because software are getting into many more places than before.

And I don't think there is enough evidence that Tesla's software practice is significantly worse than others. Their software complexity is near that of Apple's, yet they need to stick to a much higher safety standard since a car has much higher chance of killing people than a phone or a laptop.

• Disagree
  • Informative
Reactions: neroden and humbaba
We might be dancing between 265 to 285 before 4/1? Unless the nsdq drop big time next week. I wish I know. Not a advice.
$260 is the recent low, so I'm trying to sneak in a buy a bit lower then walk away for a few weeks. Can't imagine there is any impetus to move lower than that. IMO we're close to a massive rebound now that the "March bond narrative" has passed. These clowns are clearly playing it on the way up as well as forcing it down. They'll reverse soon. Not an advice.

Here's the order granting the sur-reply motion:

Note the following details:
  • The judge's order is going to pierce through any confidentiality agreements (NDAs) the settlement talks might be covered by. We might be able to read those details!
  • 8 pages instead of 10 pages is a usual "please make this short" signal from the judge - in fact she could easily have added other restrictions but didn't.
  • The extra 2 pages are not really missing: if Elon's team really needs more space they can squeeze more arguments into footnotes. It's also common to ask for a bit more, expecting not to get the full filing length.
  • The 8 pages limit does not include attachments/exhibits. This is important: Elon's lawyers can file as much evidence covering the SEC-broadened scope as they want to.
  • Elon's lawyers got the 5 days they asked for: it's 110% probable that they were working on a sur-reply this week already, and would have attached those arguments to the filing on the 26th anyway. The order allowing them to file today gives those arguments more legal weight in the context of the flow of contempt of court motions.
  • Cramer's attacks against Judge Nathan on CNBC didn't have the intended effect of scaring/misleading her.
  • Elon's tweets to Cramer yesterday might also have had an effect of highlighting the connection between Cramer and short sellers.
  • Speculation: the judge permitting this yesterday suggests that she was reading through the case and was checking the scope claims. She ultimately agreed with Elon's lawyers that the SEC's reply brief went beyond scope.
  • While the SEC already indicated that they don't think an evidentiary hearing is necessary, they might reply again on the 26th in light of any extra evidence filed by Elon's lawyers today.
(@TNEVol, do you concur?)

TL;DR: very positive development IMO, the best possible outcome for this procedural step.
I agree that it is only indicative that the judge is careful and wants to be sure all the information is in front of her. I suspect that she would be unlikely to give the SEC another filing and would tell them to seek an evidentiary hearing if they have more evidence. I am interested in whether EM will ask for an evidentiary hearing. My current bet is no. But again they may specifically ask for oral argument. I do t know the local rules on motion argument so there may be an oral argument normally without asking for one.

Bloomberg's Model 3 tracker claims that 70,831 Model 3s have been produced so far this quarter. If you believe the bears that demand is a huge problem, then you'd have to believe that Bloomberg's model, which has been accurate to within a half percent the last couple quarters, is spectacularly wrong this quarter, or that Tesla is purposely producing cars no one wants, or both. Neither of those seem plausible to me, so I can only conclude that the bears are wrong (again).