Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I said the range discrepancy is exaggerated. Who might exaggerate the range discrepancy?

You can start with those who depend upon illustrious brand names like Porsche for their funding. This is not a whacko conspiracy theory; it is well-established that companies who owe their existence to brands like Porsche are heavily biased in their favor. I can easily get better than EPA range in either of our Model 3's depending upon how I operate them also. My wife's nearly 4-year lifetime average consumption is below the EPA rated consumption and she is not even a hyper-miler and uses the heat all winter, every day. People just love to dis Tesla anyway they can get away with it.

It's a fallacy that Tesla's EPA range is inflated compared to other brands when talking about "real-world range". This is an area that is easy to cheat and difficult to disprove because the testing parameters are so subjective, and the tests are often done on days with wildly different temperatures. The EPA test, on the other hand, is a well-defined drive cycle and cheating comes with the risk that you will be caught and exposed. The rest is just anecdotal, informal 'testing' that they are calling "real world".

We know they don't give Tesla a fair shake in the editorial comments, why would you believe they suddenly become objective when doing 'real-world' range tests? And why would Porsche hobble their own results by not driving the car below 20% state-of-charge for the purposes of EPA range tests? It's a theory that makes zero sense. I shouldn't even have to take the time to explain this, and it amazes me how easily people believe garbage 'data' even when repeatedly shown how unfairly these organizations treat Tesla.

I'm sure Car and Driver's advertising customer (Porsche) felt they were getting good bang for their advertising money when they read C&D gave them a 'real world' range almost 20% better than their EPA rating. That was music to their ears. It helps to have friends in places like C&D, especially ones not bound by the strict parameters of EPA range tests! Anyone who still thinks C&D can be trusted to provide unbiased info is living in a delusion.
I've said nothing at all about Tesla's EPA ratings and I'm certainly no cheerleader for Porsche . Bjorn Nyland tested the Taycan 4S 93 kWh (EPA rated 227 mile range) and found that at an average speed of 90 km/hr (56 MPH) speed he was able to drive 579 km (360 miles) and that at an average speed of 120 km/hr (74.5 MPH) he was able to drive 425 km (264 miles). Members of TMC who own both brands have similar experiences too. You are welcome to believe that Bjorn and other Tesla owners have an agenda and can't be trusted.

1,100 it will be this week. Strong Puts and Call volume - and by nearly the same amount. Should be a fair fight all things equal.

1638465169636.png

Such irritating price action.
I regret not swapping some stock for calls down there at 1,060 earlier this morning. Might get another chance with a last min selloff on Monday but it feels like the stock is set up to do something big either way next week and it's very hard to see it moving in a big way to the downside (Especially considering full China Nov numbers plus factory openings next week)

Um. That's a little odd.
ADC's come in various "bit" sizes: 8 bit, 12 bit, 16 bit, etc. They'll typically have a precision reference voltage (band-gap diode reference or something) hooked up to the top of a resistor chain and ground or something at the bottom of said chain. An 8-bit ADC can measure 256 possible values, plus or minus the usual inaccuracy. But 8-bit ADCs are relatively uncommon; the cost difference between an 8-bit, 12-bit, or 16-bit ADC is minimal, so people usually go for the 12-bit (4096 values) or 16-bit (65536 values). The bigger bits are slower, typically, than the smaller bit types, but we're talking typical sample rates of 1 MSa/s and up for the cheapies, and I'm pretty sure that a BMS doesn't need to know state of charge on a microsecond-by-microsecond basis. (Now, if you want to sample along at 10 GSa/s, then you might be restricted to an 8-bit ADC, but that's a different story.)
Further, I suspect you're not going to find very many people willing to sell you an ADC that takes in 800V directly; that's a good way to end up with silicon vapor. Typically, one uses a resistor divider so the maximum input voltage to the ADC is 80% of the maximum for the ADC. (And the accuracy of the measurement is directly related to the accuracy of the resistors; in an application like this, one would need to use matched resistors, built on the same substrate, around .1% accuracy, typically, without spending too much money.)
So, to measure 800 V, we'd divide this down to 80% of the maximum of the ADC, then measure. So, using a 12-bit ADC, we'd have 800/(4096*0.8) = 244 mV/step; with a 16-bit ADC, that'd be 800/(65536*0.8) = 15 mV/step.
First off: in my extremely uneducated BMS opinion, 244 mV or 122 mV (for a 400V system) seems too large to keep track of the voltage on a battery chain; for sure, if one was monitoring the overall battery voltage, 16-bit and 15mV (or 7.5 mV for a 400V system) seems to be the way to go. Now, if I can figure this out without an envelope, so can anybody else.
Second: I dunno if Porsche (or Tesla, or whomever) is running every single battery cell in series (unlikely in the extreme) or all in parallel (impossible if one wants high voltage), or some combination of series and parallel (a lot more likely), the individual voltages that the BMS would be monitoring would be individual cell voltages or smaller groups of cells, then do some math to add it up to the overall battery pack voltage (if desired). Remember: They're trying for the amount of charge on cells, I would think. But that means that the voltages they're measuring would be, for the Porsche, 800/N, where N is the number of series groups.
Which means that my step sizes up above would also be divided by N. So, for example, there's 10 bunches of cells in series, with 80V across each bunch, then a 12-bit ADC on that bunch would have 244/10 = 24.4 mV/step. Which is probably getting down to the point where a 12-bit ADC would be doable.
Conclusion: This ain't rocket science, at least not for a practicing EE. So, while it sounds like a nifty idea (ADC mistake!), it's probably not that. Sorry.
No need to apologize.

In large organizations there are metrics on parts reuse. Some manager may have said, "We can do that with the exact same BMS!"

So the engineer just used a different scaling resistor and saluted, knowing it would not work well.

Yes, no envelope needed, just an arrogant manager.

Now.....if say you're interested in a Model Y and want to place and an order and are given a chance to get it this month instead of a year from now, would you forego the EV credit?

I certainly think Tesla will be just fine with Dec deliveries. Between Hertz buying up all the Model 3 supply on the open market and new orders getting to jump the line, I think they'll be just fine

Point of clarification:

2. The general idea that internal criticism is either wrong, misguided or corrupt.

In large organizations, the people in power are political.
They perceive all input as politically motivated.
And are therefore unable to accept facts.

This is an expansion of the word corrupt.
Since they are at their foundations political (corrupt), they assume that all others are corrupt as well.
I downvoted you for two reasons. First too broad a brush, some idiots do become political. And the other is that which was taught to me 25 years ago.
A local Real estate mogul's son and I were friends. He asked if I would stand-by just in case the people they were evicting thought of acting out. The Sheriff was there, but my friend felt more people would be helpful.
After the people left without any physical altercation. I questioned about how he could stand to do it. I felt very sympathetic to the evicted.
He replied that his Father had taught him to view renters as livestock. I firmly believe we are seen as the flock by politicians and their Parties.
Go ahead Mods. Delete both of our posts. No worries.

Now.....if say you're interested in a Model Y and want to place and an order and are given a chance to get it this month instead of a year from now, would you forego the EV credit?

I certainly think Tesla will be just fine with Dec deliveries. Between Hertz buying up all the Model 3 supply on the open market and new orders getting to jump the line, I think they'll be just fine
More proof that Tesla should lower the prices. 11 month wait is far to short a wait to justify the current price.

/s

It says July 2022 in my browser????

Thank you and I agree these are very serious allegations.

It took me many weeks and profound, intense, and critical validation, review, and verification with a small team including Teslarati, Christoph Krachten as well as one other major media to come to final conclusions to publish. After all information was brought together and validated it's been a clear decision to me that it's real and that I have the duty to publish it regardless if hard proof is found now, in years or never. Not publishing the story would have been irresponsible against all Taycan owners.

The scandal may be even bigger as the MEB platform from VW uses pouch cells too and we had 2 severe fires in Europe with an ID.3 and an ID.4 AC charging at low KW. It may or may not be related but its suspicious to me that the few fires that make it in the press are usually while the vehicle is charging in the early morning hours where you expect the battery to be filled and at low AC KW.

In addition to the article I have much more information I didn't get approval to publish from my source which is backing up the credibility but that's of course only helpful for people who know me as a credible Blogger, Author etc.

I consider publishing a YT video to give some more context and if more information is available I may write a follow-up story
Was this the last straw for Diess or was his exit already in the works?

Just piecing some information together.
Tesla rejected a $1B+ incentive in Berlin, for which part of the conditions was that the factory must be the first to utilize 4680 cell.
Now we are bombarded with CT merchandises and hints that something big may happen on 12/9. Could it be Elon decided to use the current 4680 cells in production on limited CT production, which would prevent them from going to Berlin?
Musk has also been talking up the Cybertruck a bit again.

I was thinking similar things, but felt maybe I was indulging a bit much in wish fulfillment.

Reactions: EnzoXYZ