Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The price movement this year is a total disappointment.

I've been a TSLA stock holder since November of 2019 and here we are two years later having to settle for a measly 50% gain since November of last year.

This feels like a significant slowing of things after 2020. Some might even go so far as to say it is a busted growth story unfolding.

Tesla really needs to step up to the plate over the next twelve months and swing for the bleachers instead of dilly-dallying around with more puny gains like this.

Or else!

I mean it.

/s

what happens after S&P announces higher weightage for TSLA tomorrow?

Do S&P 500 funds have to buy more TSLA on Dec 17 and underweight benchmark funds buy even more ?

Will this be Dec 2020 all over again LOL

bring down SP and decrease the weights for portfolio adjustments..
SP gonna fly Moday ...
Advice ( Not Advice) ;)

That's not how it works AFAICT. Weighting changes due to the float changing and the total index value changing. Tesla having a higher stock price automagically causes it to have a higher monetary weight with the same IWF (Investable Weight Factor).
Elon executing options and selling shares will impact the IWF if it happened before their data snapshot, but the 7xx to 1xxx price move doesn't do much on it's own.

Edit: also, September was the annual update. Quarterly ones are more limited: https://www.spglobal.com/spdji/en/documents/index-policies/methodology-sp-float-adjustment.pdf
Quarterly Review: IWF changes will only be made at the quarterly review if the change represents at least 5% of total current shares outstanding and is related to a single corporate action that did not qualify for the accelerated implementation rule, regardless if there is an associated share change. For quarterly reviews that coincide with the annual review, the annual review rules apply.

Last edited:
Can you expand. I am expecting more than half of Tesla's batteries to be outsourced 4680 LFPs in just a few years.

Whenever the Model Y RWD or AWD SR launches, they will want LFP 4680s. When they launch the Model 3 SR with 4680 cells, they will need LFP 4680s. I wouldn’t be surprised to see LFP cells in the Cybertruck RWD either.

Those things won’t happen for a few years, but they are coming.
4680 capacity will be needed for more volatile energy dense chemistry for long range and performance vehicles, LFP doesn't need the same protection and can be made structural in prismatic formats.

Bullet and rust resistant truck that can probably do 10 sec quarter miles and hang with the best off road crawlers because of quad motors? Also it could power your home for like a week if it wanted to.

All it needs is some truck nuts and a “powered by the sun” bumper sticker to maximize the potential cross section of triggering!

And a green "coal rolling" option using only aerosolized water vapour.

Last edited:
The price movement this year is a total disappointment.

I've been a TSLA stock holder since November of 2019 and here we are two years later having to settle for a measly 50% gain since November of last year.

This feels like a significant slowing of things after 2020. Some might even go so far as to say it is a busted growth story unfolding.

Tesla really needs to step up to the plate over the next twelve months and swing for the bleachers instead of dilly-dallying around with more puny gains like this.

Or else!

I mean it.

/s
I am on the exact same boat, and I need to be a multi-Teslanaire soon. Let’s go!

That's not how it works AFAICT. Weighting changes due to the float changing and the total index value changing. Tesla having a higher stock price automagically causes it to have a higher monetary weight with the same IWF (Investable Weight Factor).
Elon executing options and selling shares will impact the IWF if it happened before their data snapshot, but the 7xx to 1xxx price move doesn't do much on it's own.

Edit: also, September was the annual update. Quarterly ones are more limited: https://www.spglobal.com/spdji/en/documents/index-policies/methodology-sp-float-adjustment.pdf
i just wanna know if $TSLA is going up on Monday or not? ☺️ ☺️ ☺️ ☺️

Theres no point in making LFP 4680s, the bricks CATL make are more than good enough and dont have the thermal issues etc that push tesle to nca cylindrical cells, plus they need all the space/energy density they can get.

Not to say it wont ever happen but its unlikely within any real meaningful timeframe
Same with the BYD blade LFP batteries, if those ever find their way into any Tesla models.