Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I emailed the following to those who represent me in Congress and to the White House:

Please end tariffs on graphite imported from China. It is needed to lower the costs of batteries and make them more available, especially for electric vehicles. Do this either by law or insisting that the president makes it an executive order.

For that matter, end all tariffs to fight inflation and promote the economic boost from free trade by this supposedly free country.
I added "... And the EV leader, GM, and the UAW want this" to mine ;)

Diagree. There is no love lost between Japan and China and they will fiercely fight against their domestic market being flooded by Chinese EVs. There's hardly a more nationalist domestic market for anything in the developed world than Japan, and they'd rather keep down the path of futility (hybrids, H2) than let their market be flooded with BYD, BAIC, SIAC, Geely, XPENG etc. Also, consider the strange vehicle dimension limits in Japan are both useful for the cramped space, but also protectionist.
Well you are correct, of course, about there being no love lost, but I wonder if the Japanese government in 2027 can really keep internationally popular Chinese EV brands out of the country if Japanese auto companies refuse to offer product and are seriously struggling to survive. I don’t know if JGov retains extreme influence over Toyota et al all like they have historically.

Reactions: UkNorthampton
yeah a stretch, I dont expect it to happen but its not impossible. Austin will focus on getting that 4680 model Y line up and running then we'll see the CT
Didn't we see pictures of the CT front casting like 6 months ago? Also since they have enclosed the Austin factory its hard to tell what presses have been installed. I would assume though that we would see the test castings that would be scrapped though. Also I wonder about the cold rolled Stainless they have, I thought another firm was making this for them and still building a plant. This plant would conceivably service Tesla and SpaceX too.

The CT would be an amazing outcome but I think 12/9 will either be Austin Model Y or a split...or both. I feel like we would hear some suppliers spooling up if it were Cybertruck.

Reactions: Paul_SF
Didn't we see pictures of the CT front casting like 6 months ago? Also since they have enclosed the Austin factory its hard to tell what presses have been installed. I would assume though that we would see the test castings that would be scrapped though. Also I wonder about the cold rolled Stainless they have, I thought another firm was making this for them and still building a plant. This plant would conceivably service Tesla and SpaceX too.

The CT would be an amazing outcome but I think 12/9 will either be Austin Model Y or a split...or both. I feel like we would hear some suppliers spooling up if it were Cybertruck.
That was a Model Y front casting.

Maybe they will Split an Austin Model Y?

Even if they don’t launch the Cybertruck soon, just showing off a new beta truck with 4 wheel steering; giving an update maybe on options and pricing (because there is that little uncertainty after they pulled it); and giving a little hint about timelines would be pretty nice for us information starved Cybertruck fans. I know it’s uncommon for them to update on products this far out from launch, but it has been… a long time and we’re nearing the original launch date.

I also think good news on the Cybertruck launch would be good for TSLA. Remind folks there is another shoe going to drop in the not-too-distant-future.

I can imagine him climbing out of his apple-shaped car wearing his clown outfit..........
he sort of looks like your avatar :rolleyes:
148005.jpg

so no 3rd party will produce 4680s for teslas consumption? the ferragu/maurer interview seems to suggest otherwise …or, what am i missing?

our own wiki seems to say that as well;
Thread 'FAQ: TSLA Investor Discussions' Wiki - FAQ: TSLA Investor Discussions

• 4680 - third battery format introduced at Battery Day - size 46 x 80 mm, tabless design, dry electrode, pilot production at Kato Road/GF0, upcoming GF5 Texas, GF4 Berlin - also Panasonic, LG, and Samsung (sampling as of 7/2021), CATL (planned)
  • DBE - Dry Battery Electrode introduced at Battery Day for Tesla new 4680, see above
DBE is not required to make a 4680 sized battery cell. The electrode material is made first and is dry when it makes it into the cell - it doesn’t matter whether thats done the old way (wet electrode gets dried in huge ovens) or the new Tesla way (it doesn’t need to be dried). So an external supplier can provide Tesla with 4680 cells that used a traditionally wet electrode process no problem.

That's simply ridiculous. And likely gonna make me buy a truck I don't really want and certainly don't need.

I mean, the plan was to take a wrecked Model Y and put the guts in a 2001 Jeep Wrangler chassis. The cost will be nearly the same, and I could just have Elon do all the work.
I’m right there with you on an EV wrangler but sadly ordered an ice version since the Cybertruck will be delayed when I planned to just keep driving that a way… although Earth Cruisers are run on 100% solar and that my idea of a 5 star hotel, thanks to Tesla..