Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you're going to build factories on Mars, you've got to optimise everything involved in the production process. Energy, volume, weight, materials, waste, speed, low staff. Those are the targets Elon needs to get close to, might as well trial, iterate, improve on Earth. How does a Legacy OEM compete with that vision, focus and mission? There will be missteps, but also lightning fast progress and improvement in manufacturing. The China video with English subtitles mentions that even for Shanghai, 3 dimensional space efficiency is a concern (Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable by @perwis )

Eventually Mars needs everything, so Tesla / SpaceX & other Musk companies will add more breadth/vertical integration so that all required technology can be manufactured on Mars efficiently. Every step forward is progress, some things are a higher priority (hard to transport from Earth, easy to mine/make on Mars), others aren't (lightweight but hard to mine/make - semiconductors).

Seen in those terms, I'll reiterate - how does a Legacy OEM compete with that vision, focus and mission?

Lastly, what on Earth or Mars am I going to do with my hodlings? I'm hoping this could be foundational for generational wealth for my family and a MUCH better Earth & prospects for humanity. All good, crack on Elon, don't slack.

Don’t miss the cars driving themselves in the factory at the very end of the video.

Thanks for finding the "Tesla China GO GIGA" video on youtube. Here's a link to the car exit scene:

Tesla has never held on to a single best answer.Time Index.6m 37s

Alas, there IS a driver in the car: (look in the detail shot for the white hat and face mask)

TeslaChina.GO GIGA.snapshot.6m37s.jpg

TeslaChina.GO GIGA.snapshot.6m37s.DriverCloseup.jpg

Thanks again, that's looks like a very good channel (Alan Chen). I fully expect that within just a few years Tesla cars will be driving themselves in the logistics lot, onto transport trailers, and once at Port off the trailer + onto the car carrier ship.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Shanghai Gov't builds a new dock/shipping terminal* just South of Giga Shanghai. Each year, 2 million Models 2 could drive straight from the factory gate to the shipyard, then onto a waiting ship, all on FSD (in 'Delivery Mode'). :D

Cheers!

*unlike the boring logistics tunnels planned for Giga Texas... ;)

Last edited:
This is a parody of Professor Brian Cox. Billionaires make a brief appearance. What I find interesting is that Elon Musk is lumped in with them even though his motivation is different. It’s unfortunate but the reality is that a section of the public see him this way.

They may mock him, but in my experience, women love Cox

Last edited:
I've been watching Sandy Munro's video as per one of the above links.

For someone who makes his living dissecting and critiquing automobiles, I am astonished that, at around the 12-minute mark, he complains that there is no self-opening/closing front hood/bonnet, except from 3rd-party modifiers.

One of the here-we-go-again recurring discussions within TMC's early years addressed just this. And then, after a few back-and-forths, one cognoscente would step in and state "Because the laws do not allow it!". And, apparently, not just USA laws but EU - and the rest of the world - as well.
Hmm, I have had aftermarket electric frunk installed over 3 years, and I have installed dozens of them, and never heard that it would be illegal. I'm in EU.

Anyone feel like listening in and reporting back? It's past my bedtime. ;-)

Very little new compared to the first one - it is basically just going through the same cell/current/cooling layout assumptions for the 4680 structural pack made last time. There is an automotive engineer on the call who challenges some of the assumptions fairly well but no new conclusions are made.

The 1980s called. They want their retractable wipers back 😂

It is a lil more difficult to implement this on the cybertruck with its continuous plane of bent steel and glass
Yes a bit more difficult but I can see a fairly straightforward way to do it. Would not be very aerodynamic when deployed of course but neither will that giant wiper be when sweeping across the windshield. I hope they can at least reduce the profile and make it more streamlined in production, might take some exotic materials to retain strength and stiffness but I think it would be worth it.

Reactions: AZRI11 and SPadival
Really nice video. I found a version with english subtitles here:

I watched it twice, first to read the subtitles and then in 0.5 speed so I could get a better view of all the rapidly moving robots.

Don’t miss the cars driving themselves in the factory at the very end of the video.

Impressive factory and work by Tesla China. Also nice to see how my forthcoming my Model Y is created (ordered, exp. delivery February).
Thanks for that video!
I never noticed that they're making extra parts inside the Giga Casting that would break away.
Very efficient! Very cool!

1639232904258.png

Anyone feel like listening in and reporting back? It's past my bedtime. ;-)

Tesla should send out a good engineer to properly fix* Sawyer Merritt once and for all.
It is tiring that he keeps breaking every day over and over.
Or if he is such a lemon that is unfixable, then just send him to the scrapyard...

* so that he never breaks again

Not news? The China factory went 3D, close to zero inventory. It is the product from China.

I STILL think we're looking at the Model 2 as an efficient, low-cost Model 3. My basis is the extreme focus on cost savings in the China video, increasing margins into the 40-50% range, then do the price "drop".

And if I can't speculate here without being admonished by certain members, kicked out, then kicked around... You're all on notice. It's a joke until it's not people. (Edit: This wasn't meant to point at @Artful Dodger, he's very cool. All Canadians are exempt).

Last edited:
Hell yes. I really, really, really, really, want Elon to just randomly one day announce the 4680 ramp is complete, lowers the prices of the car, and say's "Come and get em!" They installing flood the markets over the next months/year and have all the media in a frenzy....
Think about this. How can Tesla show off all of it's new toys and factories, but not show the 4680s on this "Show and Tell" weekend?
No telling for sure, but I suspect there's more peas in the pod so to speak.

Think about this. How can Tesla show off all of it's new toys and factories, but not show the 4680s on this "Show and Tell" weekend?
No telling for sure, but I suspect there's more peas in the pod so to speak.
Funny you mention 'peas'....i distinctively remember Elon Tweeting something about peas and violins ☺️