Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On powered hoods:
From the answers so far, those early TMC cogniscenti seem, then, to be perpetuating a myth.

Unless.....none of the examples yet given - Lucid Air, R1T, F150 Lightning - have been presenting their street-legal versions, but their concept cars. Yes? No?

The 1980s called. They want their retractable wipers back 😂

It is a lil more difficult to implement this on the cybertruck with its continuous plane of bent steel and glass
What we really need is a Tesla Bot in the bed, who climbs onto the roof of a moving Cybertruck, and cleans the windscreen.

What could possibly go wrong?

Unless.....none of the examples yet given - Lucid Air, R1T, F150 Lightning - have been presenting their street-legal versions, but their concept cars. Yes? No?
The video I linked to is of a production version of a Lucid Air that was sold to a customer, and is now at an EV dealer where you can purchase it.

On powered hoods:
From the answers so far, those early TMC cogniscenti seem, then, to be perpetuating a myth.

Lucid deliveries started and a few are on the roads according to reports. I might have seen one, but not sure.

Last edited:
Anyone feel like listening in and reporting back? It's past my bedtime. ;-)

It doesn't seem like huge news, given the Pepsi CEOs comments and Elon's not complete denial of it. However Sawyer seemed to emphasize the limited production aspect (and had production #s he wouldn't share), meaning it seems like it's more than just a few for Pepsi, but not full volume production yet. They said 4680s are to be used, but it was unclear if that was from the source or just Sawyer speculating.

Still exciting none-the-less.

It doesn't seem like huge news, given the Pepsi CEOs comments and Elon's not complete denial of it. However Sawyer seemed to emphasize the limited production aspect (and had production #s he wouldn't share), meaning it seems like it's more than just a few for Pepsi, but not full volume production yet. They said 4680s are to be used, but it was unclear if that was from the source or just Sawyer speculating.

Still exciting none-the-less.
Seems like the 4680 based vehicles are finally starting to emerge from the shadows.

What’s next, a Roadster sighting?

Maybe a hint that 4680 cell production is ramping quickly?

I've been watching Sandy Munro's video as per one of the above links.

For someone who makes his living dissecting and critiquing automobiles, I am astonished that, at around the 12-minute mark, he complains that there is no self-opening/closing front hood/bonnet, except from 3rd-party modifiers.

One of the here-we-go-again recurring discussions within TMC's early years addressed just this. And then, after a few back-and-forths, one cognoscente would step in and state "Because the laws do not allow it!". And, apparently, not just USA laws but EU - and the rest of the world - as well.

So.

Is this just one more "Must be so 'cuz someone on the internet said so" myths, or is it specifically the case? I come down on the side of "It Likely Is", because it is such an obvious, oft-requested modification that I find it inconceivable that at least one manufacturer - possibly just one niche player - would offer it were it allowed.
US FMVSS only requires two latch positions or two systems in vehicles where the hood can block visibility:
49 CFR § 571.113 - Standard No. 113; Hood latch system.
§ 571.113 Standard No. 113; Hood latch system.
S1. Purpose and scope. This standard establishes the requirement for providing a hood latch system or hood latch systems.
S2. Application. This standard applies to passenger cars, multipurpose passenger vehicles, trucks, and buses.
S3. Definitions. Hood means any exterior movable body panel forward of the windshield that is used to cover an engine, luggage, storage, or battery compartment.
S4. Requirements.
S4.1 Each hood must be provided with a hood latch system.
S4.2 A front opening hood which, in any open position, partially or completely obstructs a driver's forward view through the windshield must be provided with a second latch position on the hood latch system or with a second hood latch system.
Full disclosure, I'd also thought double action was required; however, That is not the case:
nht72-1.14 | NHTSA
While, as stated in our correspondence of February 16, 1972, we favor a system in which two complete operations are necessary, a system which employs two latches having a single operation will meet the requirements of the standard.

Edit: Is it not the case that the Tesla UI hood open button fully releases the hood? The manual implies as such and I thought Sandy mentioned liking that.

Last edited:
Screen Shot 2021-12-11 at 12.14.11 AM.png

Bullish.

Really nice video. I found a version with english subtitles here:

I watched it twice, first to read the subtitles and then in 0.5 speed so I could get a better view of all the rapidly moving robots.

Don’t miss the cars driving themselves in the factory at the very end of the video.

Impressive factory and work by Tesla China. Also nice to see how my forthcoming my Model Y is created (ordered, exp. delivery February).