Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Probably very true, if it’s me, I would be very interested in the plant and workforce, but not the UAW ones.

I would guess you' d be up to your ears in litigation--- better to buy the empty house and tell them to leave old furniture in ( antiques ) they don't want the mither of shifting

I'm not surprised Tesla isn't interested in UAW workforce. They've been avoiding unions in Ca, so this should be no different.

If @printf42 scenario was bought the plant and then selectively hired those that were laid off by GM, I don't see any potential lawsuit. It would be wise to avoid a takeover then fire the UAW ones - that would merit a lawsuit.

Reactions: cheshire cat
Pop coincided with new batch of vins:
Model 3 VINs‏ @Model3VINs 10m10 minutes ago
#Tesla registered 21,308 new #Model3 VINs. ~100% estimated to be dual motor. ~73% estimated to be International. Highest VIN is 229766.

and with an article by Fred in 'massive' (>1,000) Model 3 shipment overseas:
Massive Tesla Model 3 shipment spotted ahead of first oversea deliveries

Wow, the shorties are going to go nuts with their certain explanations why this is just more fraud.

Btw, Fred is mostly building his article on this hilarious (but partly German) Twitter account:
Somehow, we lost. (@somehowwelost) | Twitter

I think the main problem is: this isn’t how human conversation works. People don’t just stick rigidly to one topic regardless of what comes up. Something is brought up related to the topic, but generally contains other pieces of information tangentially related to it, then someone might respond to that tangential information and soon it has little to do with the original topic. I think the best we can do with this thread is just *try* to catch ourselves when we get off topic.

For mods: not sure if possible with the tools you have, but maybe a feature to be able to spin a comment of ours into its own thread? Replicating your ability to do so, but only with our own posts? Idk how you’d want to handle replies with that, maybe only move direct replies to the alternate thread...
On some forums sites in addition to the regular “informative, like, love“ tagging options there is also usually a “recommend for sticky“ option. Maybe something like that could be enabled but the action that the recommendation for sticky was simply to accumulate how many recommendation for stickies tags it received and from there mods good either manually remap those posts to a sort of sticky which was just the most relevant market Action information or I think it’s certainly possible to have that automated.

Just so I'm clear.....
If someone thinks Tesla's going to do really poorly.... It's "FUD"...to be mocked...
And if someone thinks Tesla's going to do really well, it's an SEC violation??

I'm beginning to think there are a few here just plain ole' bat-$hit crazy, ya know...
I don't know, man... Kinda coo-coo for Coco-Puffs..... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

They’re reporting expecting higher numbers than anybody else in areas very few people can see, where it’ll only be widely reported in the aggregate after the earnings report while simultaneously being exclusively bearish in public. They aren’t(and likely won’t) giving any impression publicly that Tesla is “going to do really well”. I don’t think anybody here is criticizing, say, Oppenheimer for their prediction.

That said, like I said before: I wouldn’t have faith in the SEC. Better to just REALLY broadcast that these two bearish analysts are predicting amazing numbers for Q4. If they’re really sincerely believing the numbers they’re giving, then we’re doing them a favor by making absolutely everyone aware of them. If not, we’ll, you reap what you sow.

Just so I'm clear.....
If someone thinks Tesla's going to do really poorly.... It's "FUD"...to be mocked...

I'm beginning to think there are a few here just plain ole' bat-$hit crazy, ya know...
The second-highest expected valuation, from Needham, comes from a company that currently has a "sell" recommendation on TSLA.
Tesla stock falls after Needham downgrades to underperform
They have been totally silent on having upgraded their revenue and income estimate, but maintain the "underperform".

I imagine the same is true for Canaccord, I just happened to remember the Needham downgrade.

I'm not surprised Tesla isn't interested in UAW workforce. They've been avoiding unions in Ca, so this should be no different.

If @printf42 scenario was bought the plant and then selectively hired those that were laid off by GM, I don't see any potential lawsuit. It would be wise to avoid a takeover then fire the UAW ones - that would merit a lawsuit.

I’m confused. Wouldn’t the sequence be: GM shuts down facility and lays off all workers there -> Tesla buys facility -> Tesla hires whoever they want/need to run it? Is there something requiring that if they buy a building they have to take all the people who used to work there with it?

Reactions: UncaNed and MikeC
I can believe that (for the USA).

Wouldn't this preclude Tesla from buying a recently closed ICE production facility in the US?
Well they managed to pull it off in California, that was an ICE facility from before. I’m not sure if there is some caviat for how long an existing plant needs to be shut down before the workforce can be rehired NOT as union workers.

I believe they’re ARE some legacy people who were in that facility and ran the paint shop but I could be wrong.

I have to say that historically it’s easier and often cheaper to build a new plant assuming cost of capital and incentives are advantageous. If tesla were to take over a plant in any other state from an existing domestic manufacturer at this point there would most likely be some significant in the state tax incentives or construction budget made available.

I prefer this one thread to the two we had last year.

Let’s all try not to get too far off topic here. But I can scroll through off topic stuff pretty fast.

Indeed, it doesn't take much effort to scan and scroll - that's what I did with the bitchin' posts, and I invite others to do the same with mine - see the cat, keep scrollin'...

Just so I'm clear.....

Because those making the highest revenue estimate are those with some of the lowest SP targets - which isn't really logical, is it? The one bunch has a PT of $200 and they're predicting $7b revenue. How can this PT possibly be achievable with such revenues, and likely good profits?

Well they managed to pull it off in California, that was an ICE facility from before. I’m not sure if there is some caviat for how long an existing plant needs to be shut down before the workforce can be rehired NOT as union workers.

I believe they’re ARE some legacy people who were in that facility and ran the paint shop but I could be wrong.

I have to say that historically it’s easier and often cheaper to build a new plant assuming cost of capital and incentives are advantageous. If tesla were to take over a plant in any other state from an existing domestic manufacturer at this point there would most likely be some significant in the state tax incentives or construction budget made available.

True. But wasn't the NUMMI factory kind of an exception from the typical ICE factory being located where people are mostly connection to the ICE industry (like in Michigan, maybe)?

My idea is that if a factory is located in a place where the major employer has been an ICE maker for decades, then it may be difficult to find employees not affiliated with that former employer - and by extension these people would tend to be unionized.

Reactions: Thumper
Holy sugar
Screenshot_20190111-192808_Twitter.jpg

One thing I have noticed with analysis and projections is that you don't find much on the profitability of Tesla power walls, and solar tiles & panels. Need to improve that transparency from financial analysts, I think.

"I expect momentum and earnings revisions following the Q4 earnings results to drive Tesla’s shares higher, which should enable the stock to break out of its 1.5-year trading range. Moreover, improved sentiment could spark a wave of buying coupled with a short squeeze above the $390 level, which should enable Tesla to trade up to and possibly above $500 by year end. Tesla remains a conviction long-term buy in my view, and is a core holding in my diversified stock and ETF portfolio."
Why Tesla Will Likely Achieve New All-Time Highs In 2019 - Tesla, Inc. (NASDAQ:TSLA) | Seeking Alpha

Just so I'm clear.....

Please read Fact Checking's post one more time, if you still don't understand what he is talking about, then I will add your name to my ignore list. No offense, life is short, I don't want waste time.

Fantastic, thank you very much!

Here's a tabulated version, sorted by revenue value (from bearish to bullish), and left off the irrelevant .1 million digits:

Evercore
UBS
JMP
Goldman Sachs
Undisclosed
Wolfe Research
BofAML
Deutsche
Roth
JPMorgan
Undisclosed
Undisclosed
Thomson First Call Consensus
Elazar Advisors
Macquiarie
RBC
Wedbush
Undisclosed
Piper
Oppenheimer
Needham
Canaccord
[TD2] $6,805m [/TD2] [TD2] $6,820m [/TD2] [TD2] $6,848m [/TD2] [TD2] $6,851m [/TD2] [TD2] $6,895m [/TD2] [TD2] $6,899m [/TD2] [TD2] $6,926m [/TD2] [TD2] $6,976m [/TD2] [TD2] $6,985m [/TD2] [TD2] $7,020m [/TD2] [TD2] $7,032m [/TD2] [TD2] $7,067m [/TD2] [TD2] $7,082m [/TD2] [TD2] $7,084m [/TD2] [TD2] $7,089m [/TD2] [TD2] $7,139m [/TD2] [TD2] $7,188m [/TD2] [TD2] $7,192m [/TD2] [TD2] $7,226m [/TD2] [TD2] $7,440m [/TD2] [TD2] $7,523m [/TD2] [TD2] $7,715m [/TD2]

Yes, and it appears to be pretty clear to me that the shorts are trying to manipulate Thomson First Call consensus as well for Q4'18 TSLA results:
  • There's evidence of significant gaming of the First Call consensus by bearish analysts, the top 2 revenue estimates are actually ALL from bearish analysts:
    • "Canaccord" initiated TSLA coverage half a year ago with a bearish outlook. They gave a number of mostly bearish interviews and stopped talking about Tesla after the positive Q3 results altogether ...
    • "Oppenheimer" is the first genuine bullish analyst.
  • Without the fake revenue entries the true median consensus would be below $7b - at around $6.8b-$6.9b...
Everyone who owns $TSLA stock, options or bonds and agrees that this is market manipulation which is harming investors, please file a SEC Investor Complaint:

A sample complaint could be something like:

Suspected illegal market manipulation: two of the most bearish $TSLA analysts (Canaccord and Needham) are apparently gaming the 'Thomson First Call consensus' analyst estimates to manufacture an artificial 'miss' on $TSLA by entering artificially high Q4'2018 revenue estimates 6-8% higher than the consensus, which estimates are not consistent with their publicly bearish views of the company. Their apparent intent is to profit from any adverse price reaction, should Tesla "miss" the artificially heightened revenue consensus.

Similar suspected illegal price and market manipulation distortion of the "FactSet" consensus was performed with the January 2 Tesla (TSLA) "Delivery Report", which created a price drop from a $332 closing price on December 31 to below $300 on January 2 - a more than 10% intraday drop. Bearish analysts entered unrealistically high production estimates for Tesla, which created an artificial "consensus miss" that adversely affected investor sentiment and caused a big drop in the $TSLA price - from which short sellers profited.

As a $TSLA investor I was significantly harmed by their action.

It's a classic 'short and distort' tactic that appears to be illegal according to the Securities Act of 1933, also known as the "Truth In Securities Act".

I believe the SEC is obligated to at minimum read every complaint made by an investor. Even if they don't act on it, it creates a track record that later SEC administrations can use to form new policy, restrictions on short sellers, more effective regulation of Wall Street analysts, etc.

So it's helpful to file complaints even if nothing happens straight away - the squeaky wheel gets the grease, eventually.

Non-U.S. investors can file complaints as well.

(Paging @ZachShahan and @Papafox.)

Great observation regarding Canaccord and Needham. A few days ago Needham again suggested to sell TSLA. Seems to me they want to engineer a "miss", to make Tesla's great quarter sound bad.

Yes that’s what I mean, buy the plant with some equipments after it’s completely closed, then hire from open market.
Also, if it’s for battery cell and Model Y production, the required skill set would be much different than traditional final assembly lines. It makes absolutely no sense to take over the whole workforce.

I’m confused. Wouldn’t the sequence be: GM shuts down facility and lays off all workers there -> Tesla buys facility -> Tesla hires whoever they want/need to run it? Is there something requiring that if they buy a building they have to take all the people who used to work there with it?
I think she has a good argument, as the area is traditionally UAW territory. Even if Tesla hire their own employees, chances are good many of them are pro UAW and Tesla can't prevent them from join UAW afterwards.

For the near term I believe so. Another oppty may occur after q4 earnings release or based on more global domestic macro. I also don’t see 420$ plus so ppl who’ve picked up feb/mar 350/370/390 calls during opportunistic market and stock down windows I think are going to be nicely rewarded. Don’t be a pig

I agree there could be an opportunity if Q4 appears to miss consensus. I'll be more focused on cashflow than GAP earnings. As an earnings miss could just mean that Tesla has decided to ramp R&D again (which I think they should do)

Though my hypothesis is that we might see another attractive entry point in Q1 on the delivery report. I expect difficulty in Tesla matching or exceeding Q4 deliveries in Q1 as they have exhausted most pent up demand in the US and will be in the process of ramping up sales in RHD countries and China while navigating much more challenging logistics and regularity hurdles. This could embolden one more bear raid under $300.