Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bob Lutz coming on to CNBC soon to discuss GM's upward guidance. Should be interesting to see if he takes one of his usual digs at Tesla.
Hopefully he will discuss model3 sales versus bolt as well with explanation of why. Also hope they bring up his prior comments of why companies can’t make a profit on EV sales and explain how they will profit on the new Cadillac EV sales

The senator bought Tesla stock in two transactions, each valued at between $1,001 and $15,000, on Dec. 28. Filers aren’t required to disclose specific amounts for transactions, only ranges. One purchase was for his personal account, and the other was for a joint account that he holds with his wife, Sandra, a “marine biologist and environmental advocate,” according to his site.

While I'm here, it there a trick to getting the actually article related to the Benzinga links?

* Discussion of Tesla's service network's quality and whether it's hurting the brand is on-topic
* SpaceX is rarely on-topic, although major SpaceX events might have knock-on effects via Musk.
* Where Elon is spending time is relevant, although not major news unless we can tell what he's doing there
* Brexit is one of the biggest macro movers there is. Although "Brexit good v. Brexit bad" debates are tiring.

I believe this thread is structured correctly; it just lacks the mod power to do its primary stated rule, which is: whenever any specific topic starts accumulating too many posts - and the more tangential it is to the stock, the more stringent the limit - it gets moved into a side thread.

As a side note, I think you'll find that almost everyone who has taken the time to write a post complaining about other people writing "off-topic" things has themselves written posts that others consider to be "off-topic".

ED: Um... I just notice that you yourself were posting about where Elon was. But now you're complaining about people posting about where Elon is?

Reporting that Elon had gone to The Netherlands on his way back from China, and being the first to do so in this thread, seems pretty newsworthy and on topic to me. It looks like he came here to get the Model 3 EU homologation on track.

But posting 4 or 5 times at which altitude and in which direction Elons jet was flying over the UK is a whole different thing, if you ask me.

Reporting that Elon had gone to The Netherlands on his way back from China, and being the first to do so in this thread, seems pretty newsworthy and on topic to me. It looks like he came here to get the Model 3 EU homologation on track.

But posting 4 or 5 times at which altitude and in which direction Elons jet was flying over the UK is a whole different thing, if you ask me.
Slack news day :) lighten up. Green for the rest of the day?

Fantastic, thank you very much!

Here's a tabulated version, sorted by revenue value (from bearish to bullish), and left off the irrelevant .1 million digits:

Evercore
UBS
JMP
Goldman Sachs
Undisclosed
Wolfe Research
BofAML
Deutsche
Roth
JPMorgan
Undisclosed
Undisclosed
Thomson First Call Consensus
Elazar Advisors
Macquiarie
RBC
Wedbush
Undisclosed
Piper
Oppenheimer
Needham
Canaccord
[TD2] $6,805m [/TD2] [TD2] $6,820m [/TD2] [TD2] $6,848m [/TD2] [TD2] $6,851m [/TD2] [TD2] $6,895m [/TD2] [TD2] $6,899m [/TD2] [TD2] $6,926m [/TD2] [TD2] $6,976m [/TD2] [TD2] $6,985m [/TD2] [TD2] $7,020m [/TD2] [TD2] $7,032m [/TD2] [TD2] $7,067m [/TD2] [TD2] $7,082m [/TD2] [TD2] $7,084m [/TD2] [TD2] $7,089m [/TD2] [TD2] $7,139m [/TD2] [TD2] $7,188m [/TD2] [TD2] $7,192m [/TD2] [TD2] $7,226m [/TD2] [TD2] $7,440m [/TD2] [TD2] $7,523m [/TD2] [TD2] $7,715m [/TD2]

Yes, and it appears to be pretty clear to me that the shorts are trying to manipulate Thomson First Call consensus as well for Q4'18 TSLA results:
  • There's evidence of significant gaming of the First Call consensus by bearish analysts, the top 2 revenue estimates are actually ALL from bearish analysts:
    • "Canaccord" initiated TSLA coverage half a year ago with a bearish outlook. They gave a number of mostly bearish interviews and stopped talking about Tesla after the positive Q3 results altogether ...
    • "Oppenheimer" is the first genuine bullish analyst.
  • Without the fake revenue entries the true median consensus would be below $7b - at around $6.8b-$6.9b...
Everyone who owns $TSLA stock, options or bonds and agrees that this is market manipulation which is harming investors, please file a SEC Investor Complaint:

A sample complaint could be something like:

Suspected illegal market manipulation: two of the most bearish $TSLA analysts (Canaccord and Needham) are apparently gaming the 'Thomson First Call consensus' analyst estimates to manufacture an artificial 'miss' on $TSLA by entering artificially high Q4'2018 revenue estimates 6-8% higher than the consensus, which estimates are not consistent with their publicly bearish views of the company. Their apparent intent is to profit from any adverse price reaction, should Tesla "miss" the artificially heightened revenue consensus.

Similar suspected illegal price and market manipulation distortion of the "FactSet" consensus was performed with the January 2 Tesla (TSLA) "Delivery Report", which created a price drop from a $332 closing price on December 31 to below $300 on January 2 - a more than 10% intraday drop. Bearish analysts entered unrealistically high production estimates for Tesla, which created an artificial "consensus miss" that adversely affected investor sentiment and caused a big drop in the $TSLA price - from which short sellers profited.

As a $TSLA investor I was significantly harmed by their action.

It's a classic 'short and distort' tactic that appears to be illegal according to the Securities Act of 1933, also known as the "Truth In Securities Act".

I believe the SEC is obligated to at minimum read every complaint made by an investor. Even if they don't act on it, it creates a track record that later SEC administrations can use to form new policy, restrictions on short sellers, more effective regulation of Wall Street analysts, etc.

So it's helpful to file complaints even if nothing happens straight away - the squeaky wheel gets the grease, eventually.

Non-U.S. investors can file complaints as well.

(Paging @ZachShahan and @Papafox.)

Just so I'm clear.....
If someone thinks Tesla's going to do really poorly.... It's "FUD"...to be mocked...
And if someone thinks Tesla's going to do really well, it's an SEC violation??

I'm beginning to think there are a few here just plain ole' bat-$hit crazy, ya know...
I don't know, man... Kinda coo-coo for Coco-Puffs..... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:
And if someone thinks Tesla's going to do really well, it's an SEC violation??

then that someone would not be saying the exact opposite in the "analysis" of TSLA, and would not advice to sell the stock and have a price target much lower than the current price.

Deliberately lying to and missleading investors is SEC violation indeed!

Last edited: