Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Certainly could be but I can see continued short term drop until then. I only trade a small portion of my shares anyway.
Same here; 5-15% of the account value is occasionally sold for profit (especially options held that yield good returns), never more. And behold; the very next day that dry powder is put back into service. Well, this time anyway. One thing I hate is seeing what looks like a huge buying opportunity and not having any free funds to take advantage of it. And no, never would I use margin.
Someday I expect I'll join the league of those who buy and hold only, and don't have to pay such close attention to daily moves of the SP. Option watching can be tiring/unnerving. Sure can pay off though.

That’s something I was looking forward to do, write 10 puts ITM with 1 year expiry to clear my margin balance. I was wondering if waiting to sell into a position of strength when there is a sudden 3-4% drop might give a better premium. Finally the SP kept raising. Maybe will wait another 1-2 weeks if there is a profit taking drop of peaking IV to do so.
Is now a time to do something like this?
I’ve only played with buying a few calls. Starting last week of ‘21. Done ok so far 10/10.

Last edited:
@MartinAustin @Cosmacelf
(this msg will self destruct )
kCNBC continuing with their disingenuous coverage of Elon's stock sales. They were covering "insider selling" and said he's at the top of the heap for selling the most stock. No mention that he now has more stock than he started with - and that's the only reason he was selling stock 😡🤮
on 11/8/2021 SEC form 4 reports Elon had 170,492,985 shares as of 1st acquisition
on 12/22/2021 SEC form 4 reports Elon had 174,702,221 shares after final sales of those shares

a gain of 4,209,236 shares (possibly more)(this was a cursory look)

it is quite perplexing that an insiders _sales_, result in a =>gain<= of ~4.2 million shares.

what kinda möbius strip, klein bottle, fractal dimension, menger sponge, Julia fractal curve, where the interior has greater than the exterior world do we live in?

(from “Excession”, moments before complete unconditional surrender, and extinction of failed leader)
(reading Iain M Banks gives a faint glimpse into Elon’s thought processes perhaps)
(GCU “Sleeper Service” constructed ~80,000-100,000 warships in stealth over 40 some years)

“what is that?”. <asked in a tone of impending fear and doom>

“that is a cloud of warships, it told him”. <stated as a fact>

“a what?”. <in a scream of desperation infused terror>

“i think it is best described as a cloud of warships, that is not a generally accepted term,
i hasten to add, but i cannot think of a better description “. <you lost the war>
Incidentally, here are three business ideas:

EV tractors for small to medium farms. Having to fuel these beasts with diesel is a pain in the butt since you can’t drive them to a gas station. Just like cars, battery powered tractors have intrinsic advantages over diesel (Extra weight is actually an advantage as is torque and fueling is easier).

Vehicle to home (V2H). For extended power outages like California wildfires, Texas cold snaps, east coast hurricanes, etc. Don’t need a generator, just use your car for the emergency. At least two companies are announcing products for this at CES (Blink and Wallbox), but the product is complicated enough to allow multiple solutions and pieces to the puzzle.

Third idea is figuring out how to implement continuous learning into AI. Right now, all commercial AI systems are a train and then use system, unlike humans which learn on the fly while using. Very little work is being done in this area, wide open field.
electric farm tractors, get a variation of an Allis Chalmers model G, lego style perhaps

Vehicle to Home

Last edited:
Same here; 5-15% of the account value is occasionally sold for profit (especially options held that yield good returns), never more. And behold; the very next day that dry powder is put back into service. Well, this time anyway. One thing I hate is seeing what looks like a huge buying opportunity and not having any free funds to take advantage of it. And no, never would I use margin.
Someday I expect I'll join the league of those who buy and hold only, and don't have to pay such close attention to daily moves of the SP. Option watching can be tiring/unnerving. Sure can pay off though.
You are much more likely to be able join the league of HODLERS if you stop the short term gambling. It's sort of a catch-22. Most HODLERS are HODLERS because they have learned the hard lessons.

I'm just glad I dumped my last remaining Call Option yesterday in the green (just barely), then a few chairs to round out the numbers. But what bothers me more is when your brother Bob calls you an idiot for not selling more yesterday. Sadly, he's down to less than 10 shares total which is what I've seen happen to the daytrading strategy. All it takes is one miscalculation and you're out of the race and having to pay even more to get back in it.

It's pretty difficult to HODL folks bc we know someone out there (even here) just cycled it perfectly, but I still think this won't matter at all in a few short weeks. I almost bought the shares back a moment ago, but decided to keep a little cash. Only sorry that I didn't have a crystal ball is all, have you seen it anywhere?

They are not negative. I'm very hopeful on both but the reality is not great. Go ask Elon if he is satisfied, I sure wouldn't be if they were my companies. Secondly, Tesla Solar is far ..far from a startup condition. We are 15 years in and over a trillion in market cap and highly cash flow positive. Huge positive cash flow.

Maybe there is something about Boring I don't know. I could well believe that. I hope so. Do you find Boring compelling? Did you go to LV and take the tunnel ride? How do you see that scaling?
Solar roof is a startup that was announced in 2016, less than 6 years ago. I recall that they are on version 3, probably soon version 4.

Boring is a startup that was announced in 2016, about 5 years ago. They are on version 2, probably soon version 3. They have about 45 positions open and a major project under permitting.

Neuralink is a startup that was announced in 2016, about 5.5 years ago. They are on version 2 or maybe 3, depending on how you count it. They have about 85 positions open. Not a cent of revenue to date and little expected for years.

Which of these Musk startups is the most successful or least successful? In my opinion, we cannot know. The reality is that they are all iterating.

Lest we forget, we are investors in a company that reneged on pricing for the original Roadster, and just last year started getting into gravy time. That is 17 years after founding, product version 8 or so.

It's pretty difficult to HODL folks bc we know someone out there (even here) just cycled it perfectly, but I still think this won't matter at all in a few short weeks. I almost bought the shares back a moment ago, but decided to keep a little cash. Only sorry that I didn't have a crystal ball is all, have you seen it anywhere?

Yeah but people rarely come on to say "I sold at 1000 and had to buy back at 1100."

Personally I've learned to trim to my goal exposure after big run ups. I did not yesterday because I'm super bullish on Q4 earnings, and P&D might even have some juice left as the week progresses.

I'm just glad I dumped my last remaining Call Option yesterday in the green (just barely), then a few chairs to round out the numbers. But what bothers me more is when your brother Bob calls you an idiot for not selling more yesterday. Sadly, he's down to less than 10 shares total which is what I've seen happen to the daytrading strategy. All it takes is one miscalculation and you're out of the race and having to pay even more to get back in it.

If I were to sell it would go up, if my friend sells it goes up and vice versa. So, we can just use each other as tools to manipulate the stock price. lol

That's pretty good, but today's gains exceed 4x my lifetime earnings from age 16 until I retired. That's the power of compounding long-term growth while investing in companies that like to innovate. When I was a commercial fisherman, I thought a $500 day was something pretty special and we would only get a few of them. Typical day fishing in AK was grinding away for 12-14 hours, delivering the fish and getting ready to do it all again the next day, all for about $100 in earnings. Most profitable day ever was $3000/person and we felt like we had won the lottery! Didn't get paid a penny for the week or two it took to get the gear/boat ready each spring, or the week round trip to/from fishing grounds (more like a free adventure vacation). I also took on winter jobs and other work whenever I could. Now I can gain more in one day like this than 4 working careers.
Every time we have a good day Stealth is ready to flex his HUGE FABULOUS INCREDIBLE DAY... This is why we can't have nice things.
(I kid, dear @StealthP3D, I love you and I love your free lessons about the power of compounding. They made me a rich man, so I'm forever grateful).

I sold a few loss makers I've had for a while and bought another 61. That's it now. No more powder dry or otherwise left. Until I find some.

YESSSS.jpg